PDA

View Full Version : Windows this and that makes "Revolution"

Kimm
January 10th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Am I the only one that gets pissed off by things like these?
Sometimes when I sit down in the library to read a good computer magazine I stuble upon articles like "New version of windows will include a revolutionising new type of file system" (a jurnalistic filesystem), when Linux has had these funktions for several years. I had the same reaction when I read about the "64bit revolution" after MS launched XP x64

Resently I have been quite active in contacting computer manufacturers and people that write for magazines. From HP I got a very nice reply, they sounded like they knew what they where talking about when I asked about Linux compatability and that they could deliver Computers with Linux (SuSE or Fedora) preinstalled.
NetOnNet however refused, even when I quoted the MS EULA*, to sell me a computer without windows preinstalled, or let me get a refund (should I report them?).

Today I sat down and wrote an e-mail to the magazine where I find most of these articles, Microdatorn (English: The Microcomputer... pretty much), this is how it looks.

Original (Swedish):

Jag gillar er tidning - Microdatorn, faktum är att jag tycker det är en utav de bästa tidningarna inom området. Men vissa
gånger då jag sitter och läser ett nytt nummer blir jag rent utsagt arg. Vid flera tillfällen nämner ni diverse så kallade "revolutionerande" funktioner i nya windows versioner.
Ett exempel är då ni skrev om nya Windows XP 64x. Då skrev ni att "64-bitars revolutionen är här", vadå revolution? Andra
operativsystem, som t.ex. Linux, har kört i 64 bitar många år före microsoft ens kom på tanken att göra windows till ett 64-bitars system, Utvecklana bakom sådan system borde få äran, inte microsoft!

Nyligt läste jag om deras nya filsystem WinFS som till skillnad från deras äldre filsystem (som t.ex FAT# och NTFS) fungerar som en databas. Även detta kallade ni en revolution. Jag måste fråga er... hur mycket forskar ni kring saker som redan finns innan ni kallar det något sådant? Många av linux filsystem, som bla. EXT3 och ReiserFS har haft dessa funktioner sedan många år tillbaka. Med andra ord kopierar microsoft andra människors arbeten och tar sedan patent på dem så att ingen annan kan göra samma sak igen, dom funkar som någon typ av parasit, tacka gudarna att mjukvarupatent inom EU avfärdades så starkt som det gjorde (om du inte visste: ca 96% röstade mot).
Istället för att prisa Microsoft för deras så kallade "revolutionerande nya" funktioner, borde ny lyfta fram sådant här i ljuset.

Jag skriver inte det här för att försöka vara otrevlig, allt jag vill är att upplysa om saker som det här.

MvH,
Kim Lindgren

Translation (English):

I like you magazine - The Microcomputer, fact is that i belive its one of the best in its field. But sometimes when I sit down to read a new issue I get realy pissed. At several ocations you mention so called "revolutionizing" functions in new versions of windows.
One exaple is when you wrote about the new Windows XP 64x. You then wrote that "The 64bit revolution is upon uss", what do you mean, revolution? Other Operativesystem, like, for example Linux was running 64bit long before micosoft even came up with the idea of a 64bit system, they should get the credit for it, not microsoft!

Resently I read about their new filesystem WinFS that as a differance from their older FS's (such as FAT# and NTFS) it is jurnalistic. You called this a revolution. I have to ask... how much research do you do about things that allredy exists before you call it something like that? Several of Linux's filesystems, such as EXT3 and ReiserFS has had these functions for several years. In other words, Microsoft copies other peoples work, then patent it so that noone else can do the same, they are like some kind of parasite. Thank the gods that software patents in the EU was so strongly rejected (if you didnt know: about 96% voted against). Instead of giving MS the honor of all this, you should lift things like this into the light.

I'm not writing this to try to be rude, all I want is to inform you about things like this.

Best regards,
Kim Lindgren

I dont think this will have much of an impact on how they write their magazine, but, if I'm lucky I might get quoted in the next issue.

I think we should try to get messages like these out to magazines like these. Some are smarter like "DATOR" (COMPUTER) which comes with a seperate section for Linux users, thats wounderfull, or other Linux only magazines.

[i]*

Quote from MS EULA:

YOU AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THE TERMS OF THIS EULA BY INSTALLING, COPYING, OR OTHERWISE USING THE PRODUCT. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE, DO NOT INSTALL OR USE THE PRODUCT; YOU MAY RETURN IT TO YOUR PLACE OF PURCHASE FOR A FULL REFUND

chimera
January 10th, 2006, 08:20 PM
good work! keep spreading the word

jc87
January 10th, 2006, 08:29 PM

You are not the only one;) .

mstlyevil
January 10th, 2006, 08:41 PM
This is nothing new. Since most computer users run Windows to them these are new and innovative features. The media is just being lazy by not including in the story that Linux has had some of these "new" features for years. That is why I never trust the press until I verify a story with other sources.

dosed150
January 10th, 2006, 09:01 PM
i didnt know hp supplied pcs with linux preinstalled u save any money that way?

Kimm
January 10th, 2006, 09:04 PM
Thanks guys ^^

They are quite active to support Linux and Open Source, and they do ship computers with Linux. I have a disk with Mandrake 9.2 from HP on my desk. However I havnt bought any computer from them yet, they will be my first choise when I do though :)

PS.
And yes, this saves you money

PatrickMay16
January 10th, 2006, 09:25 PM
Yeah, I get pissed off by things like this, too.
Recently I read two different issues of "ComputerActive", a computer magazine available in the UK. The first one I read had a small bit on the Mac and Mac OS X, which said it was "the only alternative to Windows XP". That made me pretty angry.
And then in the next one, someone wrote in saying that they didn't use Windows for the internet any more simply because of viruses and other such junk. The editor posted this message in the magazine, and put his reply there too, saying something like
"Though advanced users may find it useful, Linux is more difficult for the average user, and therefore is not a viable alternative".
I'm not sure how accurate that is, since I'm writing from memory. But it definitely got on my nerves a bit.

Some day, I'll write in about Linux to ComputerActive.

Derek Djons
January 10th, 2006, 09:34 PM
Oh I don't get pissed off by these kind of messages. Untill now nobody forces me to use Windows and swallow there pro-info (what's a bluescreen?) information. These kind of magazines and writers only proof how not even close to semi, amateur they are.

Also here in The Netherlands we have all kinds of magazines. From Microsoft 'is the future' mags to 'and that's why Linux can't ever be better than Linux' mags.

But it's a good thing of you to mark such things. Only my advice is you mind your tone and language. In your English translation I'm reading a lot of words which certainly won't be accepted and posted in the magazine. Furthermore you have to address your sentences towards the magazine and not the writer. It's the magazine you want to show wrong / takedown, not a single writer. This way your words will do more damage and if it's politely written it even may be get posted.

BSDFreak
January 10th, 2006, 09:37 PM
Sometimes when I sit down in the library to read a good computer magazine I stuble upon articles like "New version of windows will include a revolutionising new type of file system" (a jurnalistic filesystem), when Linux has had these funktions for several years. I had the same reaction when I read about the "64bit revolution" after MS launched XP x64

Resently I have been quite active in contacting computer manufacturers and people that write for magazines. From HP I got a very nice reply, they sounded like they knew what they where talking about when I asked about Linux compatability and that they could deliver Computers with Linux (SuSE or Fedora) preinstalled.
NetOnNet however refused, even when I quoted the MS EULA*, to sell me a computer without windows preinstalled, or let me get a refund (should I report them?).

Today I sat down and wrote an e-mail to the magazine where I find most of these articles, Microdatorn (English: The Microcomputer... pretty much), this is how it looks.

Original (Swedish):

Translation (English):

I dont think this will have much of an impact on how they write their magazine, but, if I'm lucky I might get quoted in the next issue.

I think we should try to get messages like these out to magazines like these. Some are smarter like "DATOR" (COMPUTER) which comes with a seperate section for Linux users, thats wounderfull, or other Linux only magazines.

[i]*

Quote from MS EULA:

1. WinFS has been due for a long time, it was going to be in 2k, then in XP and now in Vista, it won't be in Vista either.

2. NTFS is a journaling file system, it has been around for a long time, since before Ext3, so would you say that the people behind Ext3 copied MS ideas? Whats good for the goose is good for the gander.

Of course, journaling file systems are decades old by now and the copying of the idea is free since it's not a patented invention, if it can improve your product, it's free to implement it then WHY NOT?

BWF89
January 10th, 2006, 11:08 PM
In other words, Microsoft copies other peoples work, then patent it so that noone else can do the same
If a Linux or open source company came up with the idea before Microsoft why didn't they just patent it first? Or patent it under a licence that allows it to be used only under certain open source licences?

poofyhairguy
January 10th, 2006, 11:18 PM

HP sells laptops made for Ubuntu.

They are a stupid company at the top, but HP DOES get along well with Linux.

HP Printers have never failed on me in *nix environment.

JimmyJazz
January 10th, 2006, 11:22 PM
I have an HP and it works great. I'm happy to support a comapany that supports Opensource too.

BSDFreak
January 11th, 2006, 12:02 AM
If a Linux or open source company came up with the idea before Microsoft why didn't they just patent it first? Or patent it under a licence that allows it to be used only under certain open source licences?

They didn't it predates FSF/GNU/Linux.

The first journaling file system was Cedar, made by Xerox.

Qrk
January 11th, 2006, 12:39 AM
Extra Extra!!

Microsoft develops a non-green start button to appear in Vista.

"The new start button is revolutionary," says chairman Bill Gates. The new start button was originally slated for Windows Server 2003, but wasn't ready in time, requiring the world's most advanced server to use a GUI from 1995. Bill later remarked "When we had to drop features from Longhorn to insure Vista arrived on time, our coders worked around the clock to ensure the new button made the transistion."

quonsar
January 11th, 2006, 01:12 AM
no sense in worrying about it. consider: computer magazines aren't intended to be informative, accurate or useful beyond the narrow scope of selling advertising. magazines exist to SELL ADVERTISING. period. for years i read PC Magazine (this was back in the 1980's!) but the various Ziff-Davis publications became shills for the big industry players, because those players BOUGHT ADVERTISING. the magazine went from useful geek/hobbyist resource to Microsoft/Intel fanboy pap. so it goes. :rolleyes:

drizek
January 11th, 2006, 02:19 AM
EULA? Sweden?

ever heard of thepiratebay.org?

http://static.thepiratebay.org/ms-loveletter.txt

BSDFreak
January 11th, 2006, 02:42 AM
EULA? Sweden?

I have no idea what your point is with that, if you are suggesting that the EULA isn't legally binding in Sweden you are incorrect.

The pirate bay does not host anything but the torrent files which is why nobody can do anything about them, piracy is still illegal even though the copyright laws in Sweden are saner than in the US (we don't have the DMCA in Sweden).

Kimm
January 11th, 2006, 07:00 PM
HP sells laptops made for Ubuntu.

They informed me that they could even sell me a Laptop running FreeDOS (not that I'm interested in that...)

EULA? Sweden?

As BSDFreak pointer out, the EULA is just as efficient in sweden as it is anywhere else.

And it is illegal to download things in Sweden, this was the cause of a new law that came... well, last year acctually. In fact Downloading of Software has allways been illegal (not that anyone cared).

And how does The Piratebay help me buy a computer without windows preinstalled? :confused:

curuxz
January 11th, 2006, 07:13 PM
because ms has the advantage of marketing, they can push other peoples ideas down average joe's neck and the average computer user just accepts what they are told. The net is starting to change this and more and more people start to run into the idea of linux but I think linux needs to establish a marketing foundation or something like (maybe ubuntu should expand its such operation) that gets donations and uses it to run adverts to tell the people what they are missing out on!

I think most comp mags are windows based and therefore full of BS, I read linux format if anything :)

bored2k
January 11th, 2006, 07:15 PM
What does p*ss me off is the amount of hate/flames in this world.