PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] upgrade causing applications to freeze tempoarily

amulet
May 9th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Hello.
I wander if anyone can help me with this.
Since upgrading to Jaunty, simple operations cause various programs I am using to stop temporarily, and the window to turn a dark shade of gray.
This makes processes slow right down, which is very frustrating.
I always marvelled at how fast the Ubuntu system worked....until now!

Spoofhound
May 9th, 2009, 01:04 PM
I have also experienced this - however, I was also experiencing it during the last few months on 8.10. In my case its not predictable or repeatable. The applications don't crash - they generally resume working. I know this doesn't help you solve your problem - but at least you're not the only one experiencing this

amulet
May 9th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Thanks Spoofhound, the symptoms sound identical, and it is comforting to know it's not unique to my system! I previously always installed fresh versions of Ubuntu, this is the first time I upgraded, and the first time I have experienced this.

CadetD
May 10th, 2009, 01:34 AM
I had hoped this was gone for good. Experienced this with 8.10 and don't recall how I got it fixed. Now it is back with 9.04.

Any of you running an ATI card?

skidaddy
May 10th, 2009, 02:34 PM
i am having this problem to seems to show up most in video. watching a video will stop sound may continue then video will resume further on. the system seems to be totally hung when it does this. using 9.04 nvideo card and nvideo recommeded driver. noticed yesterday this did same when playing a music cd. freezes up and sound stopped for a period then continued. did not have this problem in 8.10. how do i go about finding what is freezing up.
adding info -- been thinking this may be a flash video bug as that is when it is most noticeable. Mine was a fresh install not an upgrade so that will not fix the problem.

amulet
May 10th, 2009, 06:51 PM
This happens to every program in my 9.04...web browser, office, archive manager, you name it, it suffers! I am considering making a complete fresh install, but am so reluctant as I had this one set up perfectly!

kamu314
May 10th, 2009, 11:40 PM
This is ocurring with me as well. The 8.10 version does okay but 9.04 is not so smooth

skidaddy
May 27th, 2009, 05:06 PM
i think the newest kernel will help this problem. on software sources click
on updates tab. click on pre-released updates (jaunty proposed) then install the new kernel 2.6.28-12 and all the other updates is you choose.

CadetD
May 27th, 2009, 08:19 PM
Thanks Skidaddy. Will try that later today.