PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Basic Connections

andrew.co.za
May 9th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Hi,
How do i set up a simple lan connection, i really thought it would be as simple as plugging the cable in. Every time i try to connect by clicking on Auto eth1 it tries to connect for a few minutes then fails. The rest of the PC's on the network are windows PC's.

I'm using ubuntu 9.04, my HSDPA internet connection works without any problems.

kay-man
May 9th, 2009, 02:10 PM
you'll need samba to connect to windows pc's.

Run this in a terminal (or use a package manager):

sudo apt-get install smbclient

Then you need to configure samba by editing /etc/samba/smb.conf.

There's plenty of documentation around to get you on your way. One important thing is to enter the name of your workgroup, or you still won't be able to access you win machines. All the way at the top of this file (in the [global] section) should be something like this:

# Change this to the workgroup/NT-domain name your Samba server will part of
workgroup = [your workgroup name here without the square braces]

superprash2003
May 9th, 2009, 05:48 PM
first you need to make sure that you are getting an ip address.. are all these machines connected to a router? post output of ifconfig from the terminal

Iowan
May 10th, 2009, 02:23 AM
If machine has valid IP address, can it ping the Windows machines? Most Ubuntu versions come with Samba client already installed, but you must insure it is in same workgroup as Windows machines. There may be a GUI way to do it, but I usually just backup my /etc/samba/smb.conf, then use nano to make changes.

Maybe like this:
I used the "General Properties" tab in 8.10's "Admin > System > Shared Folders" to put my Xubuntu machine onto the same workgroup as my other machines.

andrew.co.za
July 13th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Turns out the switch (router) was the problem, Ubuntu plug and play networking works fine :P