PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Driver help?

ImGeoff
May 9th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Hi im new to the whole linux thing, and I just installed ubuntu 7.10 on my laptop.

The problem I have is installing drivers, I have no idea how to do it |:

I really just need to install my router driver and im set. Its a 2-wire adsl modem. I have the install disc, but i have no clue as to how im supposed to install it with ubuntu.

Any help with installing drivers is appreciated. Thanks :)

kiridude
May 9th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Why would you install 7.10?

You should install the latest version of Ubuntu as many driver issues have been resolved.

ImGeoff
May 9th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Im actually getting the dvd shipped but I've had 7.10 for a while and thought id see how ubuntu goes. I cant download the disc image because im over the download limit and downloading would be way to slow.

ad_267
May 9th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Why would you need a driver for a router? You should be able to just plug a network cable between the router and your laptop and have everything work fine. Or am I missing something here?

If you haven't yet configured your router, you can usually just connect over a web interface to change your router settings.

Most hardware comes with Windows drivers, which are pretty useless for Linux, but then most hardware is supported automatically in Linux without any configuration required so you should be able to just plug things in and have them work.

The only drivers I've had to install are my video card drivers, which aren't installed by default because they're proprietary drivers provided by nvidia. I just had to go to System - Administration - Hardware Drivers to enable them.

ImGeoff
May 9th, 2009, 10:12 AM
I have the ethernet cable running to the compter and use the 2nd (usb) for my laptop, but I need to install the driver for it and I havent figured out how to. Sorry i should've mentioned it in the first post...

ad_267
May 9th, 2009, 10:31 AM
Oh ok so this isn't a regular router, you're connecting via USB. I don't have any experience with this kind of thing so hopefully someone else can help you out. I did find this page here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsbAdslModem) which lists resources for installing USB routers on Ubuntu, but unfortunately 2-Wire isn't listed there.

If you can use a normal ethernet cable instead that should work without any problems.

ImGeoff
May 9th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Oh, well thankyou for the help.

Ive resorted to using the ethernet for my laptop and usb for the vista computer :P

Maybe 9.04 will help with the issue when it gets here.
Thanks