PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How can I wirelessly connect to another laptop?

pewterbot9
May 9th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Linux newbie here, lovin' every moment of no longer booting up in Windoze. Also a newbie to networking, and I don't have a second system to test this out myself. Another friend with a netbook like mine is interested in wifi connecting with me, but he doesn't know how to do this either. Here's what I mean:

We are both in the same room, probably sitting at the same table, and we'd like to be able to connect wirelessly, rather than via ethernet or other physical link. And I don't mean remote connecting via a public or private wifi service that may be active in our vicinity.

He has a wifi chip, I have a wifi chip. We'd like to be able to connect directly...one the server, one the client. We'd be in close physical proximity (no more distant than 10 feet from each other). I assume this is possible, though I haven't located any info how to do this.

I'd greatly appreciate it if anyone more knowledgeable could steer me to some online tutorial dealing with this, or other resource if at all possible. TIA.

superprash2003
May 9th, 2009, 05:59 PM
you would need to create an ad hoc network http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=861388

binbash
May 9th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Create ad hoc network.You can do that easily at fedora 10 with network manager BUT at ubuntu creating ad hoc from gnome network manager or wicd does not work from my experience.

pewterbot9
May 9th, 2009, 07:48 PM
you would need to create an ad hoc network

Oh, so it's called "ad hoc". Thanks for the helpful link.

pewterbot9
May 9th, 2009, 07:50 PM
ubuntu creating ad hoc from gnome network manager or wicd does not work from my experience.

Oh, well. At least I asked. Thanks for warning me about gnome. But that's the gui I'm staying with, and I don't really see why I couldn't manage an ad hoc connection via the terminal...but what do I know, I'm a newbie. What about this:

From System>Control Center, there is "Remote Desktop". See attachment below...which includes how I set it up. Since I can't test it out now, I just don't know...I have to wait till I see my friend at our next meeting, which won't be for 12 more days. But if this works, it looks pretty easy. All the other person needs do is use this "vinagre" command. What this setup doesn't seem to provide, is limiting the client to a specific folder.