PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Add quick-launch panel, help!

lesodk
May 9th, 2009, 08:24 AM
I have seen many people using a panel of icons (mac-like)
in the bottom, as a quick-start for programs.

(e.g.
http://compiz-themes.org/content/preview.php?preview=1&id=95885&file1=95885-1.jpg&file2=95885-2.jpg&file3=95885-3.jpg&name=Yakano+-Colors-
)

can anyone tell me how to get/active it

mcduck
May 9th, 2009, 08:34 AM
There are many options for that. Most people use Avant Window Navigator (which is the one you see in that screenshot). Other common options are Gnome-Do and Cairo-Dock, and even using Gnome's own panels to create dock for your program launchers.

All these programs are in Ubuntu's repositories. Just use the package manager of your choice to install them.

Personally, I prefer using the gnome-panel, as it's the only one of these that works well on the side of the screen. And that's the best place for dock on a wide-screen display. ;) Besides, it's included by default, integrates very well with the rest of the desktop and doesn't use any extra resources (as you'd have a panel or two on the desktop anyway).

lesodk
May 9th, 2009, 10:28 AM
How do i setup/install gnome-panel.

mcduck
May 10th, 2009, 08:41 AM
How do i setup/install gnome-panel.

It's the same panel application responsible of Gnome's default panels. Just add a new panel, put your launchers in it, and if you want, disable "Expand" on that panel's preferences to make it more dock-like.

However this way you'll only get icons to start programs, not for running programs like you would get with actual dock applications. On the plus side it's very easy to manage, doesn't require desktop effects or any other fancy stuff to work, you can just drag&drop stuff to the panel, and it has quite a lot of options for customization. (and like I said, it works on the side of the screen which is something for some reason or other is missing from both AWN and Gnome-Do..)