PDA

View Full Version : Are we now going to see cheaper ink cartridges for printers

ade234uk
May 9th, 2009, 05:40 AM
Might even buy myself one of these. Currently pay about 30.00 for a set of new original carts on my HP 3110 all in one.

Hope this printer is a success so other companies follow suit, printer ink prices have just been a joke.

http://dpnow.com/3476.html

Mr. Picklesworth
May 9th, 2009, 05:48 AM
Yep, Kodak is good for avoiding the cheap printer + expensive ink scheme :) (I like to use free cell phones as an analogy).

The problem, though, is all these consumer printer manufacturers have become hooked on really selling the cartridge part of the ink, (as opposed to high end printers where you buy the ink alone and pour it in). Even with really cheap ink cartridges, they are still making money off of them and are going to make it difficult / unpleasant for third parties to compete in providing ink for their printers.
The Kodak guy at least has the right perspective: People hate consumer printers. Full stop. Make a consumer printer people don't hate for every possible reason and you win the entire market, profit be damned.

Don't buy in to the home printing rubbish, though. I am proud to say I haven't printed anything in three months! No reason to, especially with eink tech really starting to take off. (Granted, except for the soothing effect a printed document has on the eyes...).

Also, laser printers are great. Pretty cheap down the road, you aren't forced to use colour ink (since black laser printers are still available), and the cartridges last for ages.

cariboo
May 9th, 2009, 07:32 AM
I would stay away from Kodak printers, check out this thread post #3, there are several other threads with similar stories. I agree with Mr. Picklesworth, get a laser printer, it isn't to hard to pick them up for close to free. I picked up a HP 5P about 6 years ago, all it needed was a good clean up. Cartidges are about $70CDN and last at least as long as a case of paper.