PDA

View Full Version : Eish am scared of 9.04

elliotn
May 9th, 2009, 04:47 AM
Am still using 8.10. I am waiting for 9.04 from ship it but have heard bad stories when reading in forums. Is it worth upgrading to it When it arrive

JMisczak
May 9th, 2009, 04:52 AM
I've found 9.04 to be faster and more stable than 8.10 ever was for me. Everything just works on my hardware so far. I would recommend upgrading ASAP.

Compucore
May 9th, 2009, 04:52 AM
I have the ISO over here of 9.04. But have not installed it over here. I did not get a chance at all with it. I like the 8.10 version as well what kind of problems have you heard. Usually it is a simple upgrade to the latest release if you do a fresh install. I tried once to do upgrades within ubuntu itself it went well as expected with the earlier versions nothing to write home about it.

COmpucore

Irihapeti
May 9th, 2009, 05:33 AM
You could set up a dual boot with 8.10 and 9.04. Then, if 9.04 doesn't play nicely with your system, you can delete it and still have 8.10 there to fall back on.

elliotn
May 9th, 2009, 05:45 AM
You could set up a dual boot with 8.10 and 9.04. Then, if 9.04 doesn't play nicely with your system, you can delete it and still have 8.10 there to fall back on.

Uhh not an option

Orlsend
May 9th, 2009, 06:37 AM
Am still using 8.10. I am waiting for 9.04 from ship it but have heard bad stories when reading in forums. Is it worth upgrading to it When it arrive

Its not worth it if you have Intel graphics. I am waiting until its fixed.

stwschool
May 9th, 2009, 06:58 AM
It's good though you may have issues if you have older ATI or intel graphics hardware.

lisati
May 9th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Trying the "Live CD" might be an option to get an idea of how well-behaved it is with your system.

I had a couple of issues on my machines. The main ones were (a) a lack of RAM on one machine - easily fixed when I get some money, (b) Wubi misbehaved on one machine with card readers (only happened on one machine with card readers, the other machine was unaffected a workaround is to disconnect the card readers, an alternative is to install in its own partition) and (c) Shutdown seems to hang for some people when Wifi is enabled.

MikeTheC
May 9th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Eish ? What kind of a word is eish? Do you alwayth talk with a lithp like that? Or was it your mother's cousin's uncle's older brother's niece's Aunt Annie's forth cousin twice removed who was beaten and abused somewhere, sometime by a broken Linux distro upgrade?

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/148/maskbugeyed.png

Really? Well...

Let me introduce you to the fun and exciting world of Ubuntu 9.04, which is not only so new that it hasn't yet been fully field-tested, it's also so quick the bugs haven't had a chance to catch up with it yet!!! You're gonna love it!!! Boot times so fast it'll rip your facial hair clean off your face! (And leave a nice little deforested area on the front of your cranium.)

But never mind all that, the real question is "What are other people saying about Ubuntu 9.04?" Not a lot, actually, because they're so surprised how much better it is. So, let's ask them!

Lieutenant James T. Kirk, what do you think of Ubuntu 9.04?

http://www.shawcomputing.net/racerx/trek_stuff/lt_kirk_2.jpg

"Well, actually I'm quite excited about it. Chief Engineer Kelso has been experimenting with it on his laptop, and Captain Garrovick is planning on having the Farragut's main computer systems upgraded at Starbase 73 once we respond to this distress call from Tycho IV."

And what about you, Mr. Gates?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/b7/William-H-Gates-Senior-New-Delhi-Hi-Res.jpg/250px-William-H-Gates-Senior-New-Delhi-Hi-Res.jpg

"It's amazing what people will do with computers. I just wish my son could have met with these folks earlier in life. I always wanted him to be a lawyer like me, and just look what happened to him. Long live the open-source movement! Woo hoo!"

Excuse me, Mr. Ken Kutaragi, former Chairman and CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment (who was replaced by upper management after announcing the PlayStation 3), what's your assessment?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8b/Ken_kutaragi.jpg/225px-Ken_kutaragi.jpg

"Well, I'll tell you what I think. I think it's a real shame that Canonical didn't release this sooner. All the back-and-forth in the designs for the PS3 would have been made much simpler and far easier to implement had we been able to utilize Ubuntu 9.04. Although, I have to tell you, I'm really excited about 9.10."

As you can see, it's a real hit with folks out there of all walks of life.

So... why not try a copy today?

Yownanymous
May 9th, 2009, 08:47 AM
It's really annoying. Wait till it crashes and you have to press ctrl+alt+backspace or the update manager kicks in. 9.04 has actually annoyed me to the point that I've given up on Ubuntu altogether.

jespdj
May 9th, 2009, 08:53 AM
When you install a new version of Ubuntu there is always a risk that things won't work and that you have to search for solutions. On my laptop, there were also several minor annoyances: microphone didn't work, it wouldn't shutdown because of some bug with the wireless network driver, and I get strange garbled graphics stuff when shutting down.

If you have a working system and you don't want to deal with potential problems, then leave it. If you want to have the latest version, then go ahead.

It's up to you.

BuffaloX
May 9th, 2009, 10:00 AM
@MikeTheC Very interesting user review. :cool:

The Intel issue is a bummer for those affected.
Otherwise Jaunty rulez, everything just seems a bit more snappy and polished.

Sand & Mercury
May 9th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Eish ? What kind of a word is eish? Do you alwayth talk with a lithp like that? Or was it your mother's cousin's uncle's older brother's niece's Aunt Annie's forth cousin twice removed who was beaten and abused somewhere, sometime by a broken Linux distro upgrade?

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/148/maskbugeyed.png

Really? Well...

Let me introduce you to the fun and exciting world of Ubuntu 9.04, which is not only so new that it hasn't yet been fully field-tested, it's also so quick the bugs haven't had a chance to catch up with it yet!!! You're gonna love it!!! Boot times so fast it'll rip your facial hair clean off your face! (And leave a nice little deforested area on the front of your cranium.)

But never mind all that, the real question is "What are other people saying about Ubuntu 9.04?" Not a lot, actually, because they're so surprised how much better it is. So, let's ask them!

Lieutenant James T. Kirk, what do you think of Ubuntu 9.04?

http://www.shawcomputing.net/racerx/trek_stuff/lt_kirk_2.jpg

"Well, actually I'm quite excited about it. Chief Engineer Kelso has been experimenting with it on his laptop, and Captain Garrovick is planning on having the Farragut's main computer systems upgraded at Starbase 73 once we respond to this distress call from Tycho IV."

And what about you, Mr. Gates?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/b7/William-H-Gates-Senior-New-Delhi-Hi-Res.jpg/250px-William-H-Gates-Senior-New-Delhi-Hi-Res.jpg

"It's amazing what people will do with computers. I just wish my son could have met with these folks earlier in life. I always wanted him to be a lawyer like me, and just look what happened to him. Long live the open-source movement! Woo hoo!"

Excuse me, Mr. Ken Kutaragi, former Chairman and CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment (who was replaced by upper management after announcing the PlayStation 3), what's your assessment?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8b/Ken_kutaragi.jpg/225px-Ken_kutaragi.jpg

"Well, I'll tell you what I think. I think it's a real shame that Canonical didn't release this sooner. All the back-and-forth in the designs for the PS3 would have been made much simpler and far easier to implement had we been able to utilize Ubuntu 9.04. Although, I have to tell you, I'm really excited about 9.10."

As you can see, it's a real hit with folks out there of all walks of life.

So... why not try a copy today?

Best post ever made on these forums.

infoseeker
May 9th, 2009, 11:19 AM
'eish'....now there's a South African expression if there ever were one :)
BTW, I'm using Kubuntu 9.04 and very happy with it, but then, I have nVidia graphics.

3rdalbum
May 9th, 2009, 11:41 AM
I dist-upgraded on my netbook and my desktop.

On the desktop, I needed to reinstall the Nvidia driver that I had manually installed, of course, but everything worked really well. The netbook has Intel graphics, but I haven't noticed any problems.

The only thing I'd describe as an "issue" is that when you dist-upgrade, it doesn't automatically install the "notify-osd" package that is necessary to get the new notifications.