PDA

View Full Version : Songbird vs Amarok?

cptrohn
May 9th, 2009, 04:34 AM
I just downloaded songbird today to see what it was all about, and I have to say it was pretty slick.... right up there with Amarok as far as I could tell....

The only thing that turned me off and will keep me from using it full time, is the DRM issue it seems to have.... I had a lot of CD's that I ripped (that I BOUGHT btw...) and songbird won't let me play those files... that I DID purchase... I thought that the fair usage laws took care of this kind of stuff for music? As far as I can tell songbird isn't a P2P network so there is no sharing right?

Too bad it's a great player that won't play half my collection..... But good old rhythmbox plays them all no problems at all.

Not good for an 'open source' media player to be so restrictive imho.

Wiebelhaus
May 9th, 2009, 04:38 AM
I love songbird , are these rips your talking about protected rips windows media player or something?

cptrohn
May 9th, 2009, 04:46 AM
I love songbird , are these rips your talking about protected rips windows media player or something?

Yes, many of them were ripped as wma's when I used windows and had them backed up on an external HD....

Really kinda stinks pretty bad... I do like the player though.. If it would play all of my files I would use it exclusively.

monsterstack
May 9th, 2009, 05:04 AM
It is possible to strip the DRM from wma files. Doing that contravenes the DMCA, mind you. So if you're American, you'd better not.

Wiebelhaus
May 9th, 2009, 06:01 AM
It is possible to strip the DRM from wma files. Doing that contravenes the DMCA, mind you. So if you're American, you'd better not.

But he's turning Japanese...

monsterstack
May 9th, 2009, 06:21 AM
But he's turning Japanese...

Do you really think so?

pluviosity
May 9th, 2009, 06:22 AM
ick.....songbird is a browser pretending to be a music app
bloat bloat bloat

JK3mp
May 9th, 2009, 06:24 AM
I love it and they have a plugin to take care of the DRM shizzle too anywho now. :-P

Orlsend
May 9th, 2009, 06:35 AM
IMO Songbird is better,in open world where people are used to thing like Firefox and modding with the apps songbird fits in perfectly.

Alcareru
May 9th, 2009, 06:39 AM
Uhm.. why oh why have you ripped your music as wma? Where you on drugs or something?

ad_267
May 9th, 2009, 06:42 AM
Yes, many of them were ripped as wma's when I used windows and had them backed up on an external HD....

Really kinda stinks pretty bad... I do like the player though.. If it would play all of my files I would use it exclusively.

Don't blame songbird for Windows media player's faults.

juancarlospaco
May 9th, 2009, 07:32 AM
Atunes

logos34
May 9th, 2009, 07:50 AM
ick.....songbird is a browser pretending to be a music app
bloat bloat bloat

+1

I just launched v.1.1, and after a little while with library tab and one browser tab open it's taking up 209 MB RAM! Talk about a resource hog.

Songbird is a p.o.s and always will be. I will never bother with it again. I'll stick to separate apps, FireFox + amarok, thank you

monsterstack
May 9th, 2009, 07:56 AM
The craziness with music apps is starting to bother me. Seems like just about everybody wants their music apps to do just about everything short of doing your laundry whilst giving you a blowjob.

I've removed all the cruddy, bloated players and now I'm rocking away with mpd+ncmpc or with mpd+ario if I want to see the album covers.

juancarlospaco
May 9th, 2009, 08:06 AM
SqueezeCenter.
Open Source web based media center maintained by Logitech the hardware manufacturer.

northwestuntu
May 9th, 2009, 08:07 AM
songbird!!!

it's still a little slow, but the options and skins are great.

juancarlospaco
May 9th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Let me show you...

Atunes:
http://www.atunes.org/images/aTunes1.12.0/aTunes09.png (http://www.atunes.org/?page_id=6)

Squeeze Center:
http://www.bergek.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/squeezecenter7.jpg (http://www.slimdevices.com/su_downloads.html)

:P

cptrohn
May 9th, 2009, 01:20 PM
Uhm.. why oh why have you ripped your music as wma? Where you on drugs or something?

At the time I was a poor lost windows user that didn't know any better.

geoken
May 9th, 2009, 02:10 PM
The craziness with music apps is starting to bother me. Seems like just about everybody wants their music apps to do just about everything short of doing your laundry whilst giving you a blowjob.

Why would it bother you that people listen to music in different ways than you?

Just because you don't listen to songs on mp3 blogs doesn't mean someone who does is crazy.

Wiebelhaus
May 9th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Do you really think so?

I really really think so....

gymophett
May 9th, 2009, 08:54 PM
I really really think so....

You've got him turning up and turning down, He's turning in he's turning 'round!