PDA

View Full Version : I stoped testing W7.

kevpan815
May 9th, 2009, 02:55 AM
I have returned 2 Linux.

pwnst*r
May 9th, 2009, 02:58 AM
**golf clap**

el.norman
May 9th, 2009, 02:58 AM
Now if you tell us how it was it could be even more interesting.

What are the stuff that make W7 looks bad?

lolololololol :KS

dragos240
May 9th, 2009, 02:59 AM
Probably nothing much (yet)

kilosan
May 9th, 2009, 03:08 AM
Its like those online games, where you play it in beta mode then quit when they start charging.

chris200x9
May 9th, 2009, 03:10 AM
stopped: when adding an 'ed' the ending consonant gets doubled...

some_random_noob
May 9th, 2009, 03:14 AM
Windows 7 will be a waste of money. I'm going to tell people I know that: Lenovo ThinkPad SL500 + Ubuntu/Vista dualboot = awesome. (Even better without Vista, as I have discovered). Bluetooth and wireless work out of the box (wireless is Atheros).

Who needs windows these days? It's a rip off and there's bugger all innovation.

dragos240
May 9th, 2009, 03:27 AM
Well.... for people that need media and gaming.

Polygon
May 9th, 2009, 03:37 AM
Windows 7 will be a waste of money. I'm going to tell people I know that: Lenovo ThinkPad SL500 + Ubuntu/Vista dualboot = awesome. (Even better without Vista, as I have discovered). Bluetooth and wireless work out of the box (wireless is Atheros).

or for people who own laptops that are not supported by ubuntu (wireless doesn't work...random lockups..etc...)

roachk71
May 9th, 2009, 03:41 AM
As for myself, I couldn't get the installer to work from a USB thumbdrive, regardless of the technique I used. I'm now testing Xubuntu Jaunty, and fully and permanently intend to stay with Linux.

Besides, from the look of things (and what I've read), it's gonna be a gross waste of money.

swoll1980
May 9th, 2009, 03:59 AM
or for people who own laptops that are not supported by ubuntu (wireless doesn't work...random lockups..etc...)

Or for students that have to run programs that wont work in Wine.

JetskiDude911
May 9th, 2009, 04:03 AM
I'm on the Windows 7 RC right now. I haven't had any problems with it so far, and it seems to be much better than Vista.

I do have to say though, I won't be buying it when it comes out. I still think Microsoft charges way too much for their operating systems. The price they charge for Vista is rediculous. I would imagine Windows 7 will be just as expensive.

monsterstack
May 9th, 2009, 04:09 AM
Yes, but who honestly buys copies of Windows? Who? People will find it installed on their new PCs and laptops. And if articles such as this one (http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/02/11/238222&from=rss) [slashdot.org] are to be believed, very few actual people will be buying it outright at all.

chucky chuckaluck
May 9th, 2009, 04:13 AM
nm.

frup
May 9th, 2009, 07:09 AM
So most people only use Ubuntu because it's free not Free?

Giant Speck
May 9th, 2009, 07:12 AM
So most people only use Ubuntu because it's free not Free?

The only reason I really use Ubuntu is because it is gratis. The fact that it is libre, too, is just an added bonus.

juancarlospaco
May 9th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Windows 7 don't have Telnet, i can't conect to Cisco Routers, don't work for me.
Interface is too big for Netbooks, don't work for me.

pwnst*r
May 9th, 2009, 07:31 AM
Windows 7 don't have Telnet, i can't conect to Cisco Routers, don't work for me.
Interface is too big for Netbooks, don't work for me.

putty.

juancarlospaco
May 9th, 2009, 07:35 AM
Yeah, Cygwin's Bash too, but WTF this is an "Enterprise" OS ...?
Interface is too big.

lisati
May 9th, 2009, 07:39 AM
Windows 7 doesn't work for me, mainly because I don't actually have a copy floating around. Anyone for Windows 98SE???? :)

I use Ubuntu because I like it, and I sometimes use Windows when it suits me to do so. I even have a copy of OpenSolaris lurking around on CD.

k2t0f12d
May 9th, 2009, 07:50 AM
Anyone for Windows 98SE???? :)I have a copy of that archived

PS: I stay with free software operating systems because they are libre, gratis is just the added bonus. :P

Calmatory
May 9th, 2009, 11:48 AM

People who want that stuff works out of the box. Flash, Skype, WiFi, graphics tools for professionals. Wheres shockwave? How is the flash slow and unstable on Linux?

Look at KDE/Gnome. How are they being innovative in regards of GUI? "But hey, it's free and open!", like I care. :rolleyes:

Makes you a fool if you think Linux is any better really, unless the good parts come from the philosophy. Even the best philosophy won't save you from the negative sides.

Orlsend
May 9th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Anyone knows if the 64bit version 3GB ISO has 32 bits also?

rickyjones
May 9th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Anyone knows if the 64bit version 3GB ISO has 32 bits also?

There are two released DVDs right now - 32 bit and 64 bit. A separate DVD each.

Thanks,
Richard

Saint Angeles
May 9th, 2009, 02:20 PM
i'm only using W7 for X-Men Legends 2: The Rise of Apocolypse

the game runs smoothly as hell with the resolution and details on max. i'm happy.

swoll1980
May 9th, 2009, 02:38 PM
People who want that stuff works out of the box. Flash, Skype, WiFi, graphics tools for professionals. Wheres shockwave?

These things don't come with Windows. Quit embarrassing yourself.

Kareeser
May 9th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Yes, but who honestly buys copies of Windows? Who? People will find it installed on their new PCs and laptops. And if articles such as this one (http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/02/11/238222&from=rss) [slashdot.org] are to be believed, very few actual people will be buying it outright at all.

*meekly* I bought a copy of Windows XP Pro 3 years after it came out... does that count?

I was tired of skinning Windows ME so it looked like XP.

Cut me some slack... "buying XP to get away from ME" is perhaps the best reason. :P

gjoellee
May 9th, 2009, 04:22 PM
I have returned 2 Linux.

Could you tell us why?

73ckn797
May 9th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Cut me some slack... "buying XP to get away from ME" is perhaps the best reason. :P

That was certainly a good decision.

pwnst*r
May 9th, 2009, 04:41 PM
*meekly* I bought a copy of Windows XP Pro 3 years after it came out... does that count?

I was tired of skinning Windows ME so it looked like XP.

i purchased vista for my gaming rig about 8 months ago. >SP1 is excellent.

scottuss
May 9th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Or for students that have to run programs that wont work in Wine.

Like what?

stwschool
May 9th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Like what?
Most Adobe products (CS3 and CS4 - I hear that CS4 can be done but it's an absolute SOB to get working) for starters. Though Wine is actually very very good, and runs a hell of a lot of stuff with no problems. It's been a major factor in me being able to help a few Windows users accross to Linux.

scottuss
May 9th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Most Adobe products (CS3 and CS4 - I hear that CS4 can be done but it's an absolute SOB to get working) for starters. Though Wine is actually very very good, and runs a hell of a lot of stuff with no problems. It's been a major factor in me being able to help a few Windows users accross to Linux.

OK but people tend to find that GIMP will do most of what Photoshop can do. And yes I know it's not the same (my partner is in the creative industry so I do get it) but still, for student use, GIMP is fine.

stwschool
May 9th, 2009, 05:36 PM
To be honest out of all the FOSS apps around, Photoshop is the hardest to replace. Gimp just doesn't cut it for me, sorry to say. Hopefully it will eventually, but as yet it's nice for a freebie but not really ready yet.

Calmatory
May 9th, 2009, 06:56 PM
These things don't come with Windows. Quit embarrassing yourself.

Do they have to COME with the OS when you can download them from the net anyway? Besides, the main point is that they WORK, as you very well knew.

PryGuy
May 9th, 2009, 07:10 PM
People who want that stuff works out of the box.In fact Windows (well, the previous releases) didn't work out of the box. Windows is BLOODY UNSTABLE, it's a complete waste of money. I'm a system administrator, I know what I'm saying....

swoll1980
May 9th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Do they have to COME with the OS when you can download them from the net anyway? Besides, the main point is that they WORK, as you very well knew.

Oh, I could have swore you said that this stuff worked out of the box. I need to get my eyes checked. Anyways flash, and skype work fine in Linux, and most people don't need professional graphics software.

juancarlospaco
May 9th, 2009, 07:30 PM
...and Windows 7 can't Ping to Broadcast.
one more reason.

Wiebelhaus
May 9th, 2009, 07:34 PM
I got bored after 30 minutes , Same ol' stuff.

But hey! At least it's better than Vista! pfft.

geoken
May 9th, 2009, 08:03 PM
OK but people tend to find that GIMP will do most of what Photoshop can do. And yes I know it's not the same (my partner is in the creative industry so I do get it) but still, for student use, GIMP is fine.

There are a lot of apps in CS4 besides Photoshop. There is no worthy Fireworks replacement.

Old_Grey_Wolf
May 9th, 2009, 08:31 PM
I drove the Beta in Virtualbox for a while. It worked very well. It was faster in Virtualbox than Vista was on my dual boot computer.

The RC has been a different story. It is no faster than Vista on my computer. For example, when I scroll in an application, i.e. browser or editor, it continues to scroll for a while trying to catch up. I gave Windows 7 RC additional RAM, 1.5 GB of RAM versus 1 GB for the Beta. It is stall lagging. (Yes, I turned off smooth scrolling and it didn't help.)

I monitored the Beta using EtherApe and Wireshark. The Beta did send small 64 byte packages to the Microsoft crash analyzer IP address every 5 seconds. I found that out when I blocked it from sending the packets, and that caused the Beta to crash :o. The RC is connecting to several IP addresses; however, when you download the RC you do agree to be monitored.

I don't think I will be playing with the RC very long as it hasn't shown me it has better performance on my computer than Vista has.

Microsoft still has time before the final release to improve the performance. We'll see what they do with it.

pwnst*r
May 9th, 2009, 08:39 PM
In fact Windows (well, the previous releases) didn't work out of the box. Windows is BLOODY UNSTABLE, it's a complete waste of money. I'm a system administrator, I know what I'm saying....

lol, of course you do

Ericyzfr1
May 9th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Sometimes I think I should give it a try, but ultimately I know I will not buy the final release.

Old_Grey_Wolf
May 9th, 2009, 09:22 PM
lol, of course you do

:lolflag:

pwnst*r,

Your humor is difficult for me to understand. After reading your previous posts on this forum I have noticed that you appear to try to humiliate other posters on this forum. I don't understand your humor as it seems to taunt others of differing opinions.

paullinux
May 9th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Well I'm a newbie when it comes to Windows. I"ve always used either Mac OSX or some Linux-flavor. So I thought why not test it on virtualbox.

I never used Vista either so I can't say if it is any better. But I will say this: I've not been so pissed off before: after installing the OS, I opened Internet Explorer and needed to install a flashplayer. First It wouldn't let me download the file, then it asked several times of I was sure that I wanted to install it. The 'nag screens' I had to go trough to just get a flash player??

When I wanted to install a program it wouldn't let me put it in the programmes file (as I do in Mac OSX): ''you do not have administrators rights', only in my personal file.

After this 'brief encounter' with Windows 7, I'm glad I've used it only virtually...

As for estethics: Why is everybody so wild about its bottompanel? The icons (no text) are confusing. The 'white' font used for text on the panel is barely readable.

On my netbook? Too big panel, to slow with earo.

So, yes, I too have turned away from W7, happy to use Macosx (lightyears ahead) or Ubuntu (easy to customize)

pwnst*r
May 9th, 2009, 09:57 PM
:lolflag:

pwnst*r,

Your humor is difficult for me to understand. After reading your previous posts on this forum I have noticed that you appear to try to humiliate other posters on this forum. I don't understand your humor as it seems to taunt others of differing opinions.

i'm sarcastic when someone offers an opinion that makes absolutely no sense and is mostly rubbish.

pbpersson
May 9th, 2009, 10:00 PM
I have heard that Windows 7 is a huge disappointment. It does not have a package manager, is vulnerable to viruses but includes no protection, and does not even have multiple desktops.

How can a serious OS not have multiple desktops!?!?!?! :confused: :o

LightB
May 9th, 2009, 10:01 PM
i'm sarcastic when someone offers an opinion that makes absolutely no sense and is mostly rubbish.

You're wasting your time.

spoons
May 9th, 2009, 10:02 PM
I'm getting Windows 7 if it's any faster in games than Vista. My Radeon 3450 isn't very fast and I want to squeeze all of the power out of it I can.

The OP sounds like he is ten years old.

pwnst*r
May 9th, 2009, 10:04 PM
You're wasting your time.

you're wasting your time.

LightB
May 9th, 2009, 10:21 PM
you're wasting your time.

Polly wanna cracker?

pwnst*r
May 9th, 2009, 10:25 PM
you like pie?

zenithdave
May 9th, 2009, 10:27 PM
must be a full moon

Wiebelhaus
May 9th, 2009, 11:46 PM
I have heard that Windows 7 is a huge disappointment. It does not have a package manager, is vulnerable to viruses but includes no protection, and does not even have multiple desktops.

You know some may think your joking but while I was testing I was constantly missing multiple desktops , it's so ingrained in the way I work and play on the computer that I cannot be without it , period.

vernonrj
May 10th, 2009, 12:51 AM
You guys know that there are free third-party programs that add virtual desktops to Windows, right?

pwnst*r
May 10th, 2009, 12:55 AM
You guys know that there are free third-party programs that add virtual desktops to Windows, right?

yes, but that's yet another process. and in windows, that's not a compliment.

tsali
May 10th, 2009, 02:35 AM

I do. I have bought multi-license packs and retail boxed sets.

Yes, some of us choose to obtain our copies of Windows legally

There are many, many, many, many reasons for spending this money...

monsterstack
May 10th, 2009, 02:40 AM
I do. I have bought multi-license packs and retail boxed sets.

Yes, some of us choose to obtain our copies of Windows legally

There are many, many, many, many reasons for spending this money...

No arguments for there being reasons to spend the money. But you are in a minority group. My point wasn't about people obtaining Windows illegally, it was about them obtaining it any other way than by buying a new computer.

Calmatory
May 10th, 2009, 03:00 AM

Most people don't need multiple desktops. Microsoft isn't allowed to ship their own anti-virus software with Windows.

No arguments for there being reasons to spend the money. But you are in a minority group. My point wasn't about people obtaining Windows illegally, it was about them obtaining it any other way than by buying a new computer.

There are people who don't buy a computer, they build it. To such a build they have to buy the OS, as there is no OEM version available, obviously.

monsterstack
May 10th, 2009, 03:05 AM
Most people don't need multiple desktops.

Most people have never used multiple desktops. I expect a lot of them would love them if they ever tried using them for a while. There are ways (http://virtuawin.sourceforge.net/) [sourceforge.net] of having them on Windows, though.

rpwdh
May 10th, 2009, 03:31 AM
Yeah, I had Vista Basic, Win7 Beta and Ubuntu on this very laptop.

I think it's a win for Jaunty. The more I see of the new Windows, the less I like it.

Everything feels broken up and I want to spend my time USING the computer, not searching for what I want.

As for games, the "Tux" games are pretty cool and I'll see what else there is to be had.

In any event, whatever distro you wind up with, the price is right! \\:D/

Sealbhach
May 10th, 2009, 03:42 AM
As for games, the "Tux" games are pretty cool and I'll see what else there is to be had.

Check out Ubuntu Gamers Arena: http://gwos.org/doku.php

Also, Wine and Steam. I have been playing COD4 with Wine, plays quite well. So, your gaming days are not over if you drop Windows.

JonLittle
May 10th, 2009, 04:01 AM
I still have 7 up and running. Unlike a lot of you hardcore Ubuntu users, I still use Windows as my main OS. Don't get me wrong, Ubuntu is great, it is just that when you use Photoshop, After Effects(anyone know an open source alternative to that?), MS Office and want it to be easy to install something I use Windows. In Ubuntu you have to find a .deb use a package manager (Okay, well those are easy like windows) other than that you have to build from source (a real hasle for me, I would just rather have one click install) there are other ways to, but for each one you have to learn a new way to install.

Here is an example (in my case) of how windows 7 is easier to use:

I pop in the burned DVD ISO, click like maybe 10 times wait at most 15 minutes andI have a working OS with the graphics drivers installed. I then pop in my wireless driver disk and then have internet(I have a very offbrand wireless card)

Now Ubuntu. after burning 7 different discs I finally get one to work. I pop it in hit enter and click a couple of times and I am on my way to a sweet OS with cool wiggly graphics. The only thing is that my graphics dont work because Ubuntu cannot connect to the internet. NDIS does not work. I then have to download everything in windows than transfer them to Ubuntu. It takes forever for me to get my NVIDIA drivers to work because I have to research how to turn off GNOME. Finally get that done, but Blender wont work. Ubuntu has Python 2.6, but Blender needs 2.6. By now I am to tired to look up and try to install 2.5 (remember my internet is not wotking, so no handy package manager) that I just turn Ubuntu off and switch back to Windows.

Now, don't get me wrong I love Ubuntu (the only OS on my laptop but not my desktop) but Windows also has its uses, and 7 has some sweet features. .

monsterstack
May 10th, 2009, 04:16 AM
I really don't understand the logic involved in trying to argue that installing software in Windows is somehow better or easier to do.

If I wanted to install 500 applications at the same time, all I need to do is cut and paste:

sudo apt-get install akregator amarok amarok-common apport-qt ark cdrdao dolphin dontzap dragonplayer exiv2 foomatic-db-gutenprint gdebi-kde gnupg-agent gtk2-engines-qtcurve gwenview hpijs-ppds ijsgutenprint install-package jockey-kde k3b k3b-data kaddressbook kamera kate kde-icons-oxygen kde-printer-applet kde-style-qtcurve kde-window-manager kde-zeroconf kdebase-bin kdebase-data kdebase-plasma kdebase-runtime kdebase-runtime-bin-kde4 kdebase-runtime-data kdebase-runtime-data-common kdebase-workspace-bin kdebase-workspace-data kdebase-workspace-libs4+5 kdebluetooth kdegraphics-strigi-plugins kdelibs-bin kdelibs-data kdelibs4c2a kdelibs5 kdelibs5-data kdemultimedia-kio-plugins kdepasswd kdepim-kresources kdepim-strigi-plugins kdepim-wizards kdepimlibs-data kdepimlibs5 kdeplasma-addons kdeplasma-addons-data kdesudo kdm kfind khelpcenter4 klipper kmag kmail kmix kmousetool knotes konqueror konqueror-nsplugins konqueror-plugin-searchbar konsole kontact kopete korganizer kpackagekit krdc krfb ksnapshot ksysguard ksysguardd ksystemlog ktimetracker ktorrent ktorrent-data kubuntu-artwork-usplash kubuntu-default-settings kubuntu-desktop kubuntu-docs kubuntu-konqueror-shortcuts kuser kvkbd kwalletmanager language-selector-qt libakonadiprivate1 libao2 libaudio2 libavahi-qt3-1 libboost-program-options1.35.0 libclucene0ldbl libdbus-qt-1-1c2 libeet1 libexiv2-5 libflac++6 libgeoip1 libk3b3 libk3b3-extracodecs libkcddb4 libkdecorations4 libkdepim4 libkexiv2-7 libkholidays4 libkipi6 libkleo4 libkonq5 libkonq5-templates libkpgp4 libksieve4 libkwineffects1 libloudmouth1-0 liblua50 liblualib50 libmad0 libmimelib4 libmodplug0c2 libmpcdec3 libmsn0.1 libmysqlclient15off libokularcore1 libpackagekit-glib11 libpackagekit-qt11 libphonon4 libplasma3 libpoppler-qt4-3 libpq5 libqca2 libqca2-plugin-ossl libqedje0 libqimageblitz4 libqt3-mt libqt4-assistant libqt4-core libqt4-dbus libqt4-designer libqt4-help libqt4-network libqt4-opengl libqt4-qt3support libqt4-script libqt4-sql libqt4-sql-mysql libqt4-sql-sqlite libqt4-svg libqt4-test libqt4-webkit libqt4-xml libqt4-xmlpatterns libqtcore4 libqtgui4 libqzion0 libraptor1 librasqal1 librdf0 libsearchclient0 libsoprano4 libstreamanalyzer0 libstreams0 libstrigihtmlgui0 libstrigiqtdbusclient0 libvncserver0 libxcb-shape0 libxcb-shm0 libxcb-xv0 libxine1 libxine1-bin libxine1-console libxine1-misc-plugins libxine1-x libzip1 mysql-common okular okular-extra-backends openoffice.org-kde openoffice.org-style-crystal oxygen-cursor-theme packagekit packagekit-backend-apt phonon phonon-backend-xine pinentry-gtk2 pinentry-qt4 plasma-widget-network-manager plasma-widget-quickaccess python-dev python-kde4 python-packagekit python-plasma python-qt4 python-qt4-common python-qt4-dbus python-sip4 python2.6-dev qt4-qtconfig quassel quassel-data raptor-utils redland-utils software-properties-kde soprano-daemon speedcrunch strigi-client strigi-daemon system-config-printer-kde systemsettings ttf-dejavu ttf-dejavu-extra update-manager-kde update-notifier-kde

Even doing the same via Synaptics wouldn't take that long. Doing the same on Windows would be absolute hell.

JonLittle
May 10th, 2009, 04:22 AM
I really don't understand the logic involved in trying to argue that installing software in Windows is somehow better or easier to do.

If I wanted to install 500 applications at the same time, all I need to do is cut and paste:

sudo apt-get install akregator amarok amarok-common apport-qt ark cdrdao dolphin dontzap dragonplayer exiv2 foomatic-db-gutenprint gdebi-kde gnupg-agent gtk2-engines-qtcurve gwenview hpijs-ppds ijsgutenprint install-package jockey-kde k3b k3b-data kaddressbook kamera kate kde-icons-oxygen kde-printer-applet kde-style-qtcurve kde-window-manager kde-zeroconf kdebase-bin kdebase-data kdebase-plasma kdebase-runtime kdebase-runtime-bin-kde4 kdebase-runtime-data kdebase-runtime-data-common kdebase-workspace-bin kdebase-workspace-data kdebase-workspace-libs4+5 kdebluetooth kdegraphics-strigi-plugins kdelibs-bin kdelibs-data kdelibs4c2a kdelibs5 kdelibs5-data kdemultimedia-kio-plugins kdepasswd kdepim-kresources kdepim-strigi-plugins kdepim-wizards kdepimlibs-data kdepimlibs5 kdeplasma-addons kdeplasma-addons-data kdesudo kdm kfind khelpcenter4 klipper kmag kmail kmix kmousetool knotes konqueror konqueror-nsplugins konqueror-plugin-searchbar konsole kontact kopete korganizer kpackagekit krdc krfb ksnapshot ksysguard ksysguardd ksystemlog ktimetracker ktorrent ktorrent-data kubuntu-artwork-usplash kubuntu-default-settings kubuntu-desktop kubuntu-docs kubuntu-konqueror-shortcuts kuser kvkbd kwalletmanager language-selector-qt libakonadiprivate1 libao2 libaudio2 libavahi-qt3-1 libboost-program-options1.35.0 libclucene0ldbl libdbus-qt-1-1c2 libeet1 libexiv2-5 libflac++6 libgeoip1 libk3b3 libk3b3-extracodecs libkcddb4 libkdecorations4 libkdepim4 libkexiv2-7 libkholidays4 libkipi6 libkleo4 libkonq5 libkonq5-templates libkpgp4 libksieve4 libkwineffects1 libloudmouth1-0 liblua50 liblualib50 libmad0 libmimelib4 libmodplug0c2 libmpcdec3 libmsn0.1 libmysqlclient15off libokularcore1 libpackagekit-glib11 libpackagekit-qt11 libphonon4 libplasma3 libpoppler-qt4-3 libpq5 libqca2 libqca2-plugin-ossl libqedje0 libqimageblitz4 libqt3-mt libqt4-assistant libqt4-core libqt4-dbus libqt4-designer libqt4-help libqt4-network libqt4-opengl libqt4-qt3support libqt4-script libqt4-sql libqt4-sql-mysql libqt4-sql-sqlite libqt4-svg libqt4-test libqt4-webkit libqt4-xml libqt4-xmlpatterns libqtcore4 libqtgui4 libqzion0 libraptor1 librasqal1 librdf0 libsearchclient0 libsoprano4 libstreamanalyzer0 libstreams0 libstrigihtmlgui0 libstrigiqtdbusclient0 libvncserver0 libxcb-shape0 libxcb-shm0 libxcb-xv0 libxine1 libxine1-bin libxine1-console libxine1-misc-plugins libxine1-x libzip1 mysql-common okular okular-extra-backends openoffice.org-kde openoffice.org-style-crystal oxygen-cursor-theme packagekit packagekit-backend-apt phonon phonon-backend-xine pinentry-gtk2 pinentry-qt4 plasma-widget-network-manager plasma-widget-quickaccess python-dev python-kde4 python-packagekit python-plasma python-qt4 python-qt4-common python-qt4-dbus python-sip4 python2.6-dev qt4-qtconfig quassel quassel-data raptor-utils redland-utils software-properties-kde soprano-daemon speedcrunch strigi-client strigi-daemon system-config-printer-kde systemsettings ttf-dejavu ttf-dejavu-extra update-manager-kde update-notifier-kde

Even doing the same via Synaptics wouldn't take that long. Doing the same on Windows would be absolute hell.

You got me there. But most of the time I am not needing to install 500 apps at once :) I mean every once in a while I will install the latest version of Blender or some other such app I want to try in windows. Most of the time you cannot get the latest version of Blender in Ubuntu until the next version of Ubuntu comes out. (well you cannot get it from the package manager I don't think). Installing Blender from source is absolute hell (for me at least).

monsterstack
May 10th, 2009, 04:32 AM
That's fair enough. Still, more and more PPAs are being added everyday for very up-to-date editions of the latest software. Ubuntu tweak allows you to add extra PPAs quite easily.

JonLittle
May 10th, 2009, 04:36 AM
That's fair enough. Still, more and more PPAs are being added everyday for very up-to-date editions of the latest software. Ubuntu tweak allows you to add extra PPAs quite easily.

YAY Ubuntu Tweak! Love that program.

Sealbhach
May 10th, 2009, 04:39 AM
Installing Blender from source is absolute hell (for me at least).

Yes, compiling anything is a pain coz you keep having to start over when it finds something wrong.

Giant Speck
May 10th, 2009, 07:07 AM
Speaking of multiple desktops, it would be awesome if there was an application that basically did the same thing as the Expo plug-in for Compiz.

The cube is a useless piece of eyecandy, but Expo really comes in handy, especially if you want to move windows between desktops.

stwschool
May 10th, 2009, 07:13 AM
Agreed, cube is pretty but Expo gets frequent use and I've got it tagged to the bottom left of my screen for quick access.

monsterstack
May 10th, 2009, 07:14 AM
Speaking of multiple desktops, it would be awesome if there was an application that basically did the same thing as the Expo plug-in for Compiz.

The cube is a useless piece of eyecandy, but Expo really comes in handy, especially if you want to move windows between desktops.

Expo is pretty awesome. Other than that, I only find the zoom and window picker functions useful. Then again, that one that inverts the colours on the screen is amazing if you're browsing google late at night in a dark room and don't want to burn your eyes out.

Giant Speck
May 10th, 2009, 07:17 AM
Expo is pretty awesome. Other than that, I only find the zoom and window picker functions useful. Then again, that one that inverts the colours on the screen is amazing if you're browsing google late at night in a dark room and don't want to burn your eyes out.

I would imagine it's good for people with eye problems, too. Compiz does offer some neat accessability plugins such as that one and the ADD filter.

swoll1980
May 10th, 2009, 07:17 AM
I still have 7 up and running. Unlike a lot of you hardcore Ubuntu users, I still use Windows as my main OS. Don't get me wrong, Ubuntu is great, it is just that when you use Photoshop, After Effects(anyone know an open source alternative to that?), MS Office and want it to be easy to install something I use Windows. In Ubuntu you have to find a .deb use a package manager (Okay, well those are easy like windows) other than that you have to build from source (a real hasle for me, I would just rather have one click install) there are other ways to, but for each one you have to learn a new way to install.

I pop in the burned DVD ISO, click like maybe 10 times wait at most 15 minutes andI have a working OS with the graphics drivers installed. I then pop in my wireless driver disk and then have internet(I have a very offbrand wireless card)

Really 7 times? I'm glad your not using my computer.

Now Ubuntu. after burning 7 different discs I finally get one to work. I pop it in hit enter and click a couple of times and I am on my way to a sweet OS with cool wiggly graphics. The only thing is that my graphics dont work because Ubuntu cannot connect to the internet. NDIS does not work. I then have to download everything in windows than transfer them to Ubuntu.
Really? You can't just plug the thing into the router?
It takes forever for me to get my NVIDIA drivers to work because I have to research how to turn off GNOME.
Really? It took me 5 seconds to google that the first time I had that problem. it was the very first search result.
Finally get that done, but Blender wont work. Ubuntu has Python 2.6, but Blender needs 2.6.
2.6 != 2.6?
By now I am to tired to look up and try to install 2.5 (remember my internet is not wotking,
You really couldn't just plug it in to the router?
so no handy package manager) that I just turn Ubuntu off and switch back to Windows.

Now, don't get me wrong I love Ubuntu (the only OS on my laptop but not my desktop)
You kept it installed on a laptop even though it doesn't support the wireless?
but Windows also has its uses, and 7 has some sweet features. .

:confused:

quinnten83
May 10th, 2009, 08:12 AM
I disagree with that statement of the cube being useless eye-candy.
The cube is one of the best ways to check what you have running on the different desktops (per desktop).
Scale either shows you the current desktop, or all desktops.
The scale plug-in is an absolute necessity though!!!

tsali
May 10th, 2009, 12:06 PM
There are people who don't buy a computer, they build it. To such a build they have to buy the OS, as there is no OEM version available, obviously.

Actually, all of my Windows licenses have been OEM licenses. They are less expensive than the retail license but the terms are less flexible.

Calmatory
May 10th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Oh, I could have swore you said that this stuff worked out of the box. I need to get my eyes checked. Anyways flash, and skype work fine in Linux, and most people don't need professional graphics software.

Except that no. Skype did not work properly without reconfiguring PulseAudio, WiFi didn't work(without ndiswrapper trickery) prior to 9.04 and Flash performance is sub-par compared to Windows XP. And there is no Shockwave support without Wine, and even still it needs hacking.

Yes, Flash and Shockwave are more problems of Adobe, and WiFi is mainly due to poor support from Broadcom but pointing a finger won't solve the problem.

What I find odd is that always it is the Windows which has the problems, it is the hatred towards Windows which is the main problem. Then there are people who just diss others because they prefer the "wrong" OS.

And then, the issue with this whole The Community Cafe is that it forbids discussion related to religion, but what is the difference between fans of Windows, Linux and OSX compared to religious people? There is no difference, it is personal perference just as religion is. And it all comes down to the very same thing, and only causes hatred. And the best thing is that some people even ENJOY bashing Windows and it's users. POSERS - scum of the community.

konqueror7
May 10th, 2009, 01:50 PM
i have windows7 and ubuntu9.04 in dual-boot, no problem...there's no point in arguing whose the better OS...each has its own philosophy (i don't know what windows' is though), strengths and weaknesses...

the only thing that keeps linux behind windows (and mac) is the lack of support from hardware developers and other software vendors...

rpwdh
May 10th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Check out Ubuntu Gamers Arena: http://gwos.org/doku.php

Also, Wine and Steam. I have been playing COD4 with Wine, plays quite well. So, your gaming days are not over if you drop Windows.

Thanks!!

inobe
May 10th, 2009, 03:47 PM
i can't find a good enough reason to burn the .iso to a dvd...

i really don't know why i downloaded that .iso, it's still sitting in /home.

ultimately i need to come up with a good enough reason to install it, however at this point it seems to be a waste of bandwidth.

i just don't see a need for it, that's just too bad i guess.

rpwdh
May 10th, 2009, 09:38 PM

ultimately i need to come up with a good enough reason to install it, however at this point it seems to be a waste of bandwidth.

LOL... I'm in the same boat!

JonLittle
May 10th, 2009, 10:01 PM
:confused:

I could plug it into my router, but that would be a big hassle. (the router is very inaccessible.

I meant blender needs 2.5 and Ubuntu Jaunty has 2.6:(

Also, the wireless I am having problems with is on my desktop. My laptop is working fine.

inobe
May 10th, 2009, 11:47 PM

let me know if you think of something useful you can do with it besides testing.

pwnst*r
May 10th, 2009, 11:52 PM
i think it's funny the both of you gave it zero thought before signing in, then clicking on the link and during the minutes (hours for some) that it took to download it in the first place.

are you normally that quick to download stuff you may have absolutely no use for?

inobe
May 11th, 2009, 12:04 AM
i think it's funny the both of you gave it zero thought before signing in, then clicking on the link and during the minutes (hours for some) that it took to download it in the first place.

your wrong

are you normally that quick to download stuff you may have absolutely no use for?

no

pwnst*r
May 11th, 2009, 12:33 AM
ok.

albinootje
May 11th, 2009, 12:38 AM
There is no difference, it is personal perference just as religion is. And it all comes down to the very same thing, and only causes hatred. And the best thing is that some people even ENJOY bashing Windows and it's users. POSERS - scum of the community.

I sense hatred in your own posting.

And, besides that, only speaking for myself, I prefer telling people the truth about the company from Redmond and their 20+ years of [...] anti-competitive behavior, especially after being misinformed by mass media and MS for so many years.
And for the record, I usually don't bash MS-Windows, I just try to stay far from it.

monsterstack
May 11th, 2009, 12:44 AM
While there are mindless Microsoft haters who do it for superficial, elitist reasons, I wouldn't say that is true of most. Especially not round here, anyway. There are very legitimate reasons to steer clear of Redmond and the stuff it produces. Take your strawman arguments elsewhere, Calamatory.

rpwdh
May 11th, 2009, 01:43 AM

I just decided not to try it after I downloaded it.

Not all of us are as smart and decisive as you...

pwnst*r
May 11th, 2009, 01:46 AM
that's a nice avatar.

rpwdh
May 11th, 2009, 01:48 AM
that's a nice avatar.

It's a Linux body paint. Those "puppies" are actually penguins.

pwnst*r
May 11th, 2009, 01:49 AM
lol, it's great. and now that i saw a bigger rez, lol @ the bellybutton of the penguin. good stuff!

rpwdh
May 11th, 2009, 01:51 AM
lol, it's great.

Do a Google image search under Linux Body Paint, I'm sure you'll find it.

pwnst*r
May 11th, 2009, 01:52 AM
already did, see above edit :)

rpwdh
May 11th, 2009, 01:57 AM
already did, see above edit :)

:cool:

It is pretty creative!

juancarlospaco
May 11th, 2009, 03:21 AM
Old Parallel Printers Don't work.

pwnst*r
May 11th, 2009, 05:33 AM

thank goodness.

Giant Speck
May 11th, 2009, 07:40 AM

I know. I can't get it to run on my TI-92 Plus. It's a shame, really.

wfp
May 11th, 2009, 08:25 AM
I installed Rc1 a few days ago. One thing I have noticed is people complain a lot on the forums about having to install drivers or search for drivers for Ubuntu to work, and I understand there frustration I have been there. After booting up Win7 the first thing was it did not have a driver for my wireless card, and Jaunty had it up in running on first boot. Another funny thing was could not get my microsoft wireless keyboard or microsoft wireless mouse to work, i had to go to there site to download the drivers. It still uses way to much ram, on a fresh boot it had 1Gig used, and almost the whole second Gig cached, I had about 124Mb free. On a fresh boot of januty64 used 398Mb and about 124 cached, and way over a Gig it has not even touched. The novelty wore off pretty quick. Oh I wanted to say they did do a good job on customizing the desktop looks pretty sweet, to me thou it still looks and feels like well windows.

TeoBigusGeekus
May 11th, 2009, 10:40 AM
I'm gonna have to install win7 (INSTALL, not BUY:P) because... well, read my signature!
Microsoft and Autodesk unholly alliance has got us engineers by the balls...

koshatnik
May 11th, 2009, 11:20 AM

You buy an OS for the software it supports, not the inherent qualities of the OS itself. I don't run OSX for its wonderfulness, its a pig, I run it because I need LightRoom, Scrivener, FileMaker Pro etc. I'm guessing its the reason why most people that have Windows, use it.

When the above apps are available on Linux, I'll use that for my workflow. Until then, I have to use either OSX or Windows.

I don't understand why people think that an OS is that important. It's just a platform.

Ptero-4
May 12th, 2009, 04:35 AM

Now Ubuntu. after burning 7 different discs I finally get one to work. I pop it in hit enter and click a couple of times and I am on my way to a sweet OS with cool wiggly graphics. The only thing is that my graphics dont work because Ubuntu cannot connect to the internet. NDIS does not work. I then have to download everything in windows than transfer them to Ubuntu. It takes forever for me to get my NVIDIA drivers to work because I have to research how to turn off GNOME. Finally get that done, but Blender wont work. Ubuntu has Python 2.6, but Blender needs 2.6. By now I am to tired to look up and try to install 2.5 (remember my internet is not wotking, so no handy package manager) that I just turn Ubuntu off and switch back to Windows.

Now, don't get me wrong I love Ubuntu (the only OS on my laptop but not my desktop) but Windows also has its uses, and 7 has some sweet features. .

Hmm. Your computer must be really offbrand to not run linux. And the CD burning thing is a known problem with wodim (the "new" disc burning backend), there's a ppa repo with cdrecord (the "old" and more reliable disc burner backend).

you can also "export" your nice app list from synaptic or dpkg and import it in any other computers in which you want to install the same software

You got me there. But most of the time I am not needing to install 500 apps at once :) I mean every once in a while I will install the latest version of Blender or some other such app I want to try in windows. Most of the time you cannot get the latest version of Blender in Ubuntu until the next version of Ubuntu comes out. (well you cannot get it from the package manager I don't think). Installing Blender from source is absolute hell (for me at least).

Good luck kepping all your apps up-to-date under *******. In ubuntu the update-manager/update-notifier keeps ALL the installed software up-to-date automatically.

Wow. That's a fairly large piece of spyware you got there. BTW, isn't it a bit dangerous to let that piece of malware loose in your /home, near your data (and wine installation if you got one)?

Me too (It's quite a big piece of malware, though, I'm really thinking about deleting it and reclaiming those 4GB back).

Yes. Most linux users tend to pick random spyware/malware just to see how well it "works" under wine.

monsterstack
May 12th, 2009, 04:40 AM
Yes. Most linux users tend to pick random spyware/malware just to see how well it "works" under wine.

Ever installed a virus purposefully with Wine? Fascinating experience!

Roasted
May 12th, 2009, 05:37 AM

I agree, but I disagree.

I agree because that's my mentality when it comes to me buying computers in the future. I can't imagine running Windows again as a main OS, however, I'm not a console gamer. In fact, I cannot stand controllers. As a result, I'm a PC gamer, which ultimately dictates that I dual boot as I am now - Vista/Ubuntu.

I disagree because I work at a school district with a Windows network. When you have a truckload of software that the board wants to use in the computer labs, libraries, etc for the students to learn, you're left with a few options. Sure, Edubuntu exists, but ultimately - it's a Windows network, and it works as it is. It'd be hard to argue Ubuntu for the entire district, considering I'm sure we get Windows licenses dirt cheap due to it being an educational institute. One thing that might be interesting, though, is to implement an Ubuntu computer lab. That'd be pretty awesome to try out.

We do, however, utilize Linux to the best of its abilities. I know a few projects being implemented now that are Linux based servers. I personally use Linux (Ubuntu) as an imaging server thanks to the help of FOG. (I suggest anybody who likes Ubuntu but has to image Windows computers to check out FOG). I also use GParted, Clonezilla LiveCD, among dozens of other Linux based troubleshooting utilities.

But at the end of the day, Windows has its place. Its place just isn't as a primary OS on my computer - that's for damn sure. :)

scottuss
May 12th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Hmm. Your computer must be really offbrand to not run linux. And the CD burning thing is a known problem with wodim (the "new" disc burning backend), there's a ppa repo with cdrecord (the "old" and more reliable disc burner backend).

you can also "export" your nice app list from synaptic or dpkg and import it in any other computers in which you want to install the same software

Good luck kepping all your apps up-to-date under *******. In ubuntu the update-manager/update-notifier keeps ALL the installed software up-to-date automatically.

Wow. That's a fairly large piece of spyware you got there. BTW, isn't it a bit dangerous to let that piece of malware loose in your /home, near your data (and wine installation if you got one)?

Me too (It's quite a big piece of malware, though, I'm really thinking about deleting it and reclaiming those 4GB back).

I don't like Windows as much as the next guy, but what's a CD ISO gonna do sat in his Home directory? It's not like it can execute itself or anything.... :confused:

Johnsie
May 12th, 2009, 12:11 PM
This thread is flamebait.

scottuss
May 12th, 2009, 12:13 PM
This thread is flamebait.

Just let it flow ;)

Ptero-4
May 14th, 2009, 04:03 AM
Ever installed a virus purposefully with Wine? Fascinating experience!

Yes. I actually have done it to my FreeBSD's wine installation, it' s nice to see that those buggers that screw ******* users can't harm us *NIX users.

I don't like Windows as much as the next guy, but what's a CD ISO gonna do sat in his Home directory? It's not like it can execute itself or anything.... :confused:
It's a joke about ******* being a malware magnet itself.

isbiyanto
May 6th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Thanx Ubuntu Team all around the word for serving me well! :p

Ugluk
May 6th, 2010, 05:31 PM
In ubuntu the update-manager/update-notifier keeps ALL the installed software up-to-date automatically.In main repository. In universe (where all goodies are) you'll have to wait next distro release or bombard the mantainer with the letters to update it.

P.S. And you will have a nice time with some stuff updated via Mercurial, kernel sources from Git, Abiword from SVN, Exaile from Bazaar etc.