PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How can one tell if "ondemand CPU scaling" is working correctly?

swarup
May 9th, 2009, 02:16 AM
I just got a new laptop-- a Dell Precision M6400 (CPU Intel P8400, 2.26 GHz) -- and installed Jaunty 9.04. When I add the CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor to my upper panel, I can see that there are two speeds that the CPU operates at with the scaling set to On Demand. It either runs at 1.60 GHz when things are relaxed, or it runs at 2.27 GHz when there is high demand.

I saw on a friend's System76 laptop, that the same CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor exhibits three different speeds, rather than just two. Those speeds are: 800, 1.6, and 2.27. So should mine also be operating like that?

System76 has their own driver that makes various adaptations to the baseline Ubuntu distro so it runs well in their laptop. Whereas I just did a straight install of Jaunty onto my Dell. So I wonder whether the CPU scaling is working as well in my machine, as it does in the System76 which has a special driver. Should my CPU scaler be scaling to three speeds rather than just two? And if so, then by not doing so could it be doing harm to the system? Or not running optimally?

Michaelg14
May 9th, 2009, 03:33 AM
On my AMD 9950 quad CPU it only shows two speeds I think it depends on what CPU you have. My BIOS will only let me specify full speed or two speeds.