PDA

View Full Version : Fallout 3 vs The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

blueshiftoverwatch
May 9th, 2009, 12:04 AM
Which one of these games should I get for the PlayStation 3? I haven't played an RPG since the Pokemon games for Game Boy Color back when I was a little kid. But I want something that has a lot of replay value because too often I'll buy a game only to play through it once and have it end up gathering dust shortly there after.

Both of the games look pretty similar in terms of gameplay. Although F3 looks a little more action oriented which is a plus. Both are played from the first person perspective. F3 takes place in a post-apocalyptic future. Whereas TES4:O takes place in the standard medieval setting that most RPG's seem to be set in. I'm a fan of post-apocalyptic movies and books which makes F3 seem more appealing. But there are other factors that come into play.

In F3 once your done with the game that's it. If you want to see some of the stuff you missed the first time around you either have to revert back to an earlier save or start a new game. Whereas in TES4:O it's a never ending world. You can even postpone indefinantly the main objectives and spend all of your time doing things on the side if you really want to. I've also heard that TES4:O is a much bigger world than F3. But that F3 while smaller is very indepth.

There's also the fact that TES4:O for PS3 comes in a "Game of the Year Edition" which includes the two addon packs that have been released for it since it first came out. Which adds a lot of gameplay length. While the PS3 version of F3 isn't going to receive any of the addons/downloadable content the Xbox 360 and Windows version are going to get. At least not for the foreseeable future.

Right now I'm leaning slightly towards TES4:O. But I'm curious as to what people who have played the games have to say.

.Maleficus.
May 9th, 2009, 12:09 AM
They were both made by Bethesda so once you play one, the other feels old and rehashed. Choose Fallout if you like shooters, Oblivion if you like "dice-roll" style combat. Either one will give you 40+ hours of gameplay, so don't feel bad choosing one over the other. I have both and Fallout has been played a lot more if that matters. Choose whatever you find more interesting. Since they are single-player games, story is going to be most important. You said you like post-apocalyptic, so personally I'd choose Fallout.

WIGGMPk
May 9th, 2009, 12:09 AM
I think Oblivion will be a more satisfying RPG for you. Fallout 3 is a great game with lots of action and a unique setting, Oblivion is a long story and can be made even longer.

However, I would also get Fallout 3 eventually, its worth a play.

crl0901
May 9th, 2009, 12:14 AM
Both great games. I enjoyed Oblivion more, just because I enjoy the setting and the world they've created, which is truly amazing. Fallout 3 is fun as well. Watching a headshot in slow-mo via VATS is pretty sweet. I'd go with Oblivion first, get a good 120+ hours of gameplay in, then play Fallout 3. In fact, I've been meaning to try and get Fallout 3 installed and working in Jaunty.

DeadSuperHero
May 9th, 2009, 12:21 AM
Fallout 3 is probably one of my most favourite games ever. Great setting, great story. Great gameplay and writing.

will1911a1
May 9th, 2009, 12:48 AM
Fallout 3 is probably one of my most favourite games ever. Great setting, great story. Great gameplay and writing.

Right here. I've played both of them pretty extensively and I'm going to say that Fallout 3 is the better choice.

The VATS system alone makes it more fun than Oblivion.

gnomeuser
May 9th, 2009, 01:09 AM
Fallout 3 raped my childhood. I love Fallout 2 and they basically turned the game I love into a FPS. Aside that the story is very short not to mention non-sensical, you feel like you have very little influence on the world you live in and that your actions have so little impact as to be an exercise in the topic of cookie cutting. When there is a choice, it basically boils down to a flip switch consequence with only local effects. It basically feels like a few standalone scene that don't at all affect each other, the world around you isn't at all influenced by what should be hard moral and survival choices.

It doesn't feel vast and filled with little places to discover, people to get to love. It has character but it's not Fallout, it's Doom.

The visual experience is nothing short of stunning but from my time playing it with a friend it feels dreadfully empty. In the end that is the thing that matters to me, I still play Fallout 2 to this day, Fallout 3 I just can't love in the same way.

I don't know Oblivion so I can't say anything about that.

CharmyBee
May 9th, 2009, 01:12 AM
Neither.

Rainstride
May 9th, 2009, 01:18 AM
fallout 3, i have both, and can tell you fallout 3 is GODLY!!!

Redache
May 9th, 2009, 01:42 AM
Fallout 3 as it's fun to play and has good music :D.

Skripka
May 9th, 2009, 02:16 AM
Fallout 3 raped my childhood. I love Fallout 2 and they basically turned the game I love into a FPS. Aside that the story is very short not to mention non-sensical, you feel like you have very little influence on the world you live in and that your actions have so little impact as to be an exercise in the topic of cookie cutting. When there is a choice, it basically boils down to a flip switch consequence with only local effects. It basically feels like a few standalone scene that don't at all affect each other, the world around you isn't at all influenced by what should be hard moral and survival choices.

It doesn't feel vast and filled with little places to discover, people to get to love. It has character but it's not Fallout, it's Doom.

The visual experience is nothing short of stunning but from my time playing it with a friend it feels dreadfully empty. In the end that is the thing that matters to me, I still play Fallout 2 to this day, Fallout 3 I just can't love in the same way.

I don't know Oblivion so I can't say anything about that.

I don't know, when you add in the Fallout 3 expansion packs, and a few mods-you get a fair winner.

blueshiftoverwatch
May 9th, 2009, 02:22 AM
I bought The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. It was $30 and Fallout 3 was $54. I know that it costs more to develop for the current generation of consoles because of improved graphics and whatnot. But I just can't bring myself to spend almost $60 on a game.

blueshiftoverwatch
July 30th, 2009, 03:44 AM
I've played Oblivion for over 100 hours so far and it's still hasn't lost most of it's fun factor. If looked at from a cost/benefit perspective since I bought the game for $30 that equals out to roughly 30 cents per hour. Which is a pretty good deal.

MasterNetra
July 30th, 2009, 03:59 AM
Oblivion ftw! Even more so if you can get it for PC, with plenty of mods available to extend gameplay. Including a nude mode, which I think requires no explanation. :p

seteshf
July 30th, 2009, 06:30 AM
I'm going to say Fallout 3.

Haven't played it, but Oblivion had so many bugs that Fallout 3 probably couldn't be worse, and they ruined the gameplay on Oblivionwith stupid crap like fixing damaged armor.

I'd rather whip out a DOS emulator and play my old Advanced Dungeons & Dragons games than bother with another Bethesda game.

Of course the copy protection on the PC version of Oblivion GOTY makes it impossible to install in Wine. The workaround doesn't work because they silently revisioned SecuROM on some of the discs.

No way of telling which disc you're getting either. :P

gnomeuser
July 30th, 2009, 07:02 AM
I don't know, when you add in the Fallout 3 expansion packs, and a few mods-you get a fair winner.

So you are saying to get a game that even comes close to rivaling it's predecessors I have to buy the game, buy the expansion packs and download user generated content.

It seems to me that Fallout 3 was pushed out WAY before it was finished.

What they did to the Fallout legacy is unforgivable. I hope someone will come out with a spritual followup to Fallout 2 that entirely discards this poor imitation.

Trail
July 30th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Try Jagged Alliance 2 :D

BrokenKingpin
July 30th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Oblivion was ruined by it's horrible leveling system.

handy
July 31st, 2009, 01:57 PM

On the PC you can add mods that can really improve the already brilliant & huge game of Oblivion.

You can modify the levelling in multiple ways via different mods.

Here is the best wiki I've found for Oblivion:

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Oblivion

On the above linked site you can also find links to sites with huge lists of ranked mods, with descriptions. Very useful indeed.

I was running about 40 mods, which customised the game to my liking, made levelling more sensible & didn't slow my game down.

Hardware:

Athlon64 3500+
2GB DDR RAM
AGP XFX-7950GT 512MB RAM

Used various Linux distro's works fine with WINE or Cedega & from what I've been reading, people are getting it to work with Crossover also.

Swarms
July 31st, 2009, 02:35 PM
I do not like Oblivion, it is a way too empty world of stupid NPC's and two or three templates for all the cave and dungeons.

If you are leaning in that direction, you should try Gothic II (or the first if you are going really old school). It has a more rich feeling of life and it doesn't feel as empty as Oblivion does.

And I quite agree with Gnomeuser about Fallout 3.

blueshiftoverwatch
August 9th, 2009, 10:09 PM
What's wrong with Oblivion's leveling system?

Here is the best wiki I've found for Oblivion:
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Oblivion
I've been using that one a lot.

I do not like Oblivion, it is a way too empty world of stupid NPC's and two or three templates for all the cave and dungeons.
The main thing that annoys me is that when I go to New Sheoth in the Shivering Isles the citizens are constantly getting into fights which end up snowballing out of control to involve everyone in the vicinity killing each other. Leaving me with the option of either reloading a saved game and having to do everything I recently did over again. Or continue playing with less NPC's which makes the world less interesting. Especially when NPC's who have uncompleted quests die. It's very rare that NPC's get into fights with each other in Cyrodiil. Does this happen to anyone else?

MasterNetra
August 9th, 2009, 10:29 PM
What's wrong with Oblivion's leveling system?

I've been using that one a lot.

The main thing that annoys me is that when I go to New Sheoth in the Shivering Isles the citizens are constantly getting into fights which end up snowballing out of control to involve everyone in the vicinity killing each other. Leaving me with the option of either reloading a saved game and having to do everything I recently did over again. Or continue playing with less NPC's which makes the world less interesting. Especially when NPC's who have uncompleted quests die. It's very rare that NPC's get into fights with each other in Cyrodiil. Does this happen to anyone else?

If your playing the PC version, you can always use the console to rez the NPC's. Its cheatin I know but still...

swoll1980
August 10th, 2009, 12:51 AM
They're really two different genres, so it's tough to say. I will say that I don't even think Oblivian is the best in the Elderscroll series. That honer would go to Morrowind by a long shot.

Nuck.Chorris
August 10th, 2009, 12:53 AM
Elder Scrolls 4. I have played that game to death.

avaralom
August 10th, 2009, 01:28 AM
They're really two different genres, so it's tough to say. I will say that I don't even think Oblivian is the best in the Elderscroll series. That honer would go to Morrowind by a long shot.

I agree with this. I will take the graphics downgrade (and better performance <_<) with Morrowind because I found the storyline and world to be much more interesting.

That being said, Oblivion is still an excellent game. I haven't played Fallout 3, but the Elder Scrolls games are good if you like a traditional RPG that is very open-ended. ^^

DownTown22
August 10th, 2009, 01:40 AM
I didn't realize this was even a competition.

Fallout 3 wins by an utter landslide!!

Tipped OuT
August 10th, 2009, 01:52 AM
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is for more mature hardcore gamers. Not something you can just get into and have the time of your life.

Nuck.Chorris
August 10th, 2009, 01:53 AM
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is for more mature hardcore gamers. Not something you can just get into and have the time of your life.

I disagree :P

Tipped OuT
August 10th, 2009, 01:58 AM
I disagree :P

Nuck Chorris? Can't argue with that. You might rip my head off if I get you mad.

Nuck.Chorris
August 10th, 2009, 02:03 AM
Nuck Chorris? Can't argue with that. You might rip my head off if I get you mad.

No you're safe, I don't roundhouse penguins.

tcoffeep
August 10th, 2009, 07:24 AM
I selected the third option because I don't like either of the choices. You should've added Morrowind and the original Fallout for good measure <_<

DownTown22
August 10th, 2009, 02:33 PM
I selected the third option because I don't like either of the choices. You should've added Morrowind and the original Fallout for good measure <_<

I think those two are on there because they both use the Gamebryo engine.

EDIT: Wait, I guess Morrowind uses it too....nevermind.

Chrus
August 10th, 2009, 02:41 PM
I was getting really stuck into Fallout 3. Awesome game.

And it something you can play through more than once. Play as a good character, then again trying to be the biggest arsehole around.

Havent played Oblivion, so i cant really comment on it.