PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone bought anything from Linux Certified recently?

aysiu
May 8th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Apart from the big vendors (HP, Dell, Asus), I hear often about a couple of small-time Linux vendors (System76 and ZaReason).

But has anyone bought from Linux Certified recently? I remember about four years ago, they had insane prices.

Now, their prices seem to have gone down considerably:
http://www.linuxcertified.com/linux_laptops.html

But the most recent reviews I can find for them are years old.

dragos240
May 8th, 2009, 10:33 PM
Nope :( Well.... not unless you mean me getting the system76 stickers and the requested jaunty ubuntu cd.

EDIT: First

ibuclaw
May 9th, 2009, 12:29 AM
I may just get one if it saves the hassle of buying a new laptop and expunging/installing manually.

Just one question:

Starting Price : $599 $439 (Special Until 5/9/09 )
Would that be the 5th of September (the way I read it) or the other way round?

If the latter, that is a shame...

dragos240
May 9th, 2009, 12:31 AM
for the UK then yes, for us, thats may 9th.

Vostrocity
May 9th, 2009, 12:51 AM
Nope :( Well.... not unless you mean me getting the system76 stickers and the requested jaunty ubuntu cd.

EDIT: First

Linux Certified != system76

But anyways, I think the generic barebones that these small vendors have are ugly. And if you wanted a name brand one with Ubuntu preloaded you could just do it yourself for less.

Eviltechie
May 9th, 2009, 01:58 AM
The copyright date still says 2008 at the bottom, and their picture of a thinkpad still has the IBM logo on it.

kevin11951
May 9th, 2009, 03:16 AM
Has anyone bought from Pogo Linux (http://www.pogolinux.com/), or knows if they are reputable, (even if they are a little expensive)?

Vostrocity
May 9th, 2009, 07:03 PM
The copyright date still says 2008 at the bottom, and their picture of a thinkpad still has the IBM logo on it.

Lol 2008 was only a couple months ago, and ThinkPads always have the IBM logo on them. :)

Icehuck
May 9th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Lol 2008 was only a couple months ago, and ThinkPads always have the IBM logo on them. :)

Don't the new ones only have "ThinkPad" on them?

Vostrocity
May 9th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Don't the new ones only have "ThinkPad" on them?

Here's the story: IBM, which used to manufacture ThinkPads (the name of their line of laptops), decided to stop meddling with consumers. So they sold their consumer laptop division to Lenovo. And they also transfered the IBM ThinkPad name so that people will realize that it's still the same quality even though it is under a Chinese company. That's why ThinkPads still say IBM on them even though they're really Lenovo computers. :)

Icehuck
May 9th, 2009, 10:37 PM
Here's the story: IBM, which used to manufacture ThinkPads (the name of their line of laptops), decided to stop meddling with consumers. So they sold their consumer laptop division to Lenovo. And they also transfered the IBM ThinkPad name so that people will realize that it's still the same quality even though it is under a Chinese company. That's why ThinkPads still say IBM on them even though they're really Lenovo computers. :)

The new Lenovo ThinkPads that I've seen are similar to this one. Just says "ThinkPad" on the palm rest and lid cover.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2009/01/w700ds_26-600.jpg

The IBM logo is clearly missing from these machines. Which doesn't surprise me since Lenovo paid for the ThinkPad name and not the IBM name.

Vostrocity
May 10th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Oh I guess you're right then. I don't know when they started doing that since I still see lots of ThinkPads that say Lenovo on the screen bezel but IBM on the lid and palmrest corner.