PDA

View Full Version : Higher Education... who's getting theirs

hanzomon4
May 8th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Well the spring semester is coming to a close and wow what semester. How many of you are college students, what do you study and what school do you go to? I go to The School of the Art Institute of Chicago. My area of focus(we can't declare majors) is Sound art, Photography, Video, and Art Tech... basically conceptual art. One of the better projects I did this semester was in photography, I basically recorded a sound piece on to photo-sensitive paper.

Kareeser
May 8th, 2009, 10:13 PM
Music Major here :)

wsonar
May 8th, 2009, 10:14 PM
doing something I should have done 10 years ago

going back to school for a CS degree start this summer can't wait :)

xngk
May 8th, 2009, 10:17 PM
I am finishing my sophomore year at SUNY Geneseo. Psychology major and a History minor.

red_Marvin
May 8th, 2009, 10:25 PM
I'm doing my third year towards a master in electrical engineering.

Roasted
May 8th, 2009, 10:40 PM
I went to a community college for 2 years and dropped out. Afterwards I went to a technical school for 2 years and received an Associates in Specialized Business: Cyber Security.

I'm hitting the 1 year point of working in IT support for a school district, where I am assigned to 3 buildings to work with.

It's a good gig. I really like it. Stressful at times but, hey - what computer job isn't?

MikeTheC
May 8th, 2009, 10:44 PM
Just starting on mine, sadly. I think my greatest concern is whether or not there's going to be any particular kind of job four years from now. :-k :shock: :eek:

.Maleficus.
May 8th, 2009, 10:45 PM
I'm just about to finish my Junior year of highschool... I'll be applying to colleges in the fall for CS.

Einsamkeit
May 8th, 2009, 10:47 PM
Doing a individual-oriented social sciences program in college (In Québec they're called Cégeps, a bit different but still the equivalent of U.S. colleges I guess), finishing around Christmas then off to univ. for a specialized bachelor in Psychology with hopes of a Clinical Psychology doctorate few years afterwards.

DeadSuperHero
May 8th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Luckily for me, I'm in a poor family. So that means free college for me, for general studies.

Rackstar
May 8th, 2009, 10:51 PM
Ending my second year bachelor in information technologies at University of Ghent (Belgium).

Name change
May 8th, 2009, 10:51 PM
I'm getting my diploma this year; which means I'm in my senoir year of my studying on
Faculty of Social Science. I'm a political science major and my diploma is titled:
Political construction of reality.
It will take a closer look at how reality which we perceive was and is constructed.
It might sound strange, but when you think about it, it makes perfect sense :D.
Most of you probably know from history lessons, that in middle ages men thought that Earth was flat, even though Greeks knew it was round. This was most probably "lost" when scholastic took over the whole teaching / learning over.
As it demanded a strict reading of the bible, and anyone who thought differently was deemed heretic and was burnt at the stake.
And that's just one of things that I'll write about....
If anyone wants to know; I'll be basing my theory on Hegel, Lacan and Althusser.
And next year I'll hopefully continue my BA degree on Political theory.
And I won't stop until I get to Ph.D. :D

doas777
May 8th, 2009, 10:56 PM
I'm a perpetual student. I'm slowly working on my third degree part time (as I work full time as a programmer). man, i love web-based curricula.

Einsamkeit
May 8th, 2009, 10:58 PM
I'm getting my diploma this year; which means I'm in my senoir year of my studying on
Faculty of Social Science. I'm a political science major and my diploma is titled:
It will take a closer look at how reality which we perceive was and is constructed.
Most of you probably know from history lessons, that in middle ages men thought that Earth was flat, even though Greeks knew it was round. This was most probably "lost" when scholastic took over the whole teaching / learning over.
As it demanded a strict reading of the bible, and anyone who thought differently was deemed heretic and was burnt at the stake.
If anyone wants to know; I'll be basing my theory on Hegel, Lacan and Althusser.

That sounds quite interesting!
Do you think there'll be any way for other people (i.e. myself) to find it somewhere and read it once it's done? I've read some Hegel about a year back, got interested through Marx's critics of his work, discovered a great art historian there, altho it probably isn't the part of Hegel's work you'll be covering.

What got you into political science?

swoll1980
May 8th, 2009, 11:00 PM
I'm going into my second trimester at ITT, perusing a bachelors degree in information systems security.

durand
May 8th, 2009, 11:03 PM
Starting a masters in astrophysics this year! Can't wait!

Name change
May 8th, 2009, 11:09 PM
That sounds quite interesting!
Do you think there'll be any way for other people (i.e. myself) to find it somewhere and read it once it's done? I've read some Hegel about a year back, got interested through Marx's critics of his work, discovered a great art historian there, altho it probably isn't the part of Hegel's work you'll be covering.

What got you into political science?

Like your quote from the sig.
Well I was always interested in politics, and I always knew that I will go to political science, I just didn't know which sub-category.
I was between European studies and analytical political science (read it as "psychoanalysis") and chose the latter.

And you're right I won't be covering the art history part of Hegel, but one of his "ground" works: the Phenomenology of Spirit.

And my diploma will be available to read from the faculty database, which won't help you much if you don't speak Slovenian :D.
It will have 100 words of English summary as it's demanded, but that's that.
But I could translate it, to appease my megalomania tendencies and try to get it published in some political science "magazine".

Einsamkeit
May 8th, 2009, 11:16 PM
Like your quote from the sig.
Well I was always interested in politics, and I always knew that I will go to political science, I just didn't know which sub-category.
I was between European studies and analytical political science (read it as "psychoanalysis") and chose the latter.

And you're right I won't be covering the art history part of Hegel, but one of his "ground" works: the Phenomenology of Spirit.

And my diploma will be available to read from the faculty database, which won't help you much if you don't speak Slovenian :D.
It will have 100 words of English summary as it's demanded, but that's that.
But I could translate it, to appease my megalomania tendencies and try to get it published in some political science "magazine".

haha If you ever do succumb to your megalomaniac tendencies, then by all means send me a hint of where to look and I'll scourge the national library for said "magazine". ;)

Worst case scenario: I'll get it in Slovenian and go Daniel Jackson on the thing to translate it. :cool:

wsonar
May 8th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Luckily for me, I'm in a poor family. So that means free college for me, for general studies.

I get tuition reimbursement from my job so it's alright...but I have to agree to be there so long after or I will oww..

hanzomon4
May 9th, 2009, 12:18 AM

Wow that sounds Cool

I'm going into my second trimester at ITT, perusing a bachelors degree in information systems security.

Hahaha The Mistake by the lake.. good one. Didn't ITT have a Jaunty release party?

jfloydb
May 9th, 2009, 12:34 AM

joeval
May 9th, 2009, 12:46 AM
Studying for a degree in Geology over at Brighton uni, uk. Almost finished the first year!

drawkcab
May 9th, 2009, 01:04 AM
finishing up a Ph.D in philosophy

Redache
May 9th, 2009, 01:13 AM
I'm Currently Studying a Computing and Mathematics Foundation Year at Kingston University/College(Kingston, London that is) and will hopefully be progressing onto a Computer Science Degree at Aberystwyth University in September.

I want to go long haul and hopefully be able to do a PhD as well, as I want to do Research after I graduate rather than be a Software Engineer(Although I would love to be a Software Engineer, Reasearch appeals to me the most).

ddarsow
May 9th, 2009, 01:15 AM
I am graduating from law school this semester!

matthew.ball
May 9th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Currently a 3rd year computer science, doing a cs/math double major.

wirepuller134
May 9th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Electrical engineer here. Three of our kids are attending college now. One just started this year, the other two are in their second year.

Elfy
May 9th, 2009, 10:31 AM
doing something I should have done 10 years ago

going back to school for a CS degree start this summer can't wait :)

You'll enjoy it - I didn't bother till I was getting on a bit :)

Swarms
May 9th, 2009, 10:46 AM
I am planning to get a bachelor degree in International Business and Politics.

RyanthePenguin
May 9th, 2009, 10:51 AM
I am studying Economics at Northern Michigan University. I should be finishing up my sophomore year right now, but sadly an involuntary paid vacation in Iraq came up. Sometimes it pays to be a reservist and sometimes, well sometimes it just doesn't.

toejamfootball
May 9th, 2009, 01:13 PM
I am studying music at the Northern Rivers Conservatorium Arts Centre..... man, long sentence.

Auditioning for Queensland Conservatorium at the end of this year, if I get it I will be doing a Bacholer of Music.

Deamos
May 9th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Just finished an AS in Computer Engineering. Looking to get a BS in Computer Science focus in Networking and Security.

Skripka
May 9th, 2009, 03:25 PM
I just finished my master's and am going on to doctoral sudies.

Gucko
May 9th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Studying CS ...third year.

perpetualcacophany
May 9th, 2009, 03:45 PM
This is the end of my freshman year at college. Economics major. I'm thinking about either a minor or double majoring in computer science as well. Any of you have any thoughts on whether I should do the minor or second major? I'm really not sure yet which one I want to do.

Kareeser
May 9th, 2009, 03:46 PM
I am studying music at the Northern Rivers Conservatorium Arts Centre..... man, long sentence.

Auditioning for Queensland Conservatorium at the end of this year, if I get it I will be doing a Bacholer of Music.

Nice to meet another music major using Linux... goodness knows we're few and far between!