PDA

View Full Version : How to make Ubuntu run much faster!

CJ Master
May 8th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Note: As requested, I will tell you that this won't make Ubuntu itself faster, but will make the menus faster. I can't change the topic title.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4998957_make-ubuntu-run-much-faster.html

One of the first articles I wrote for eHow!

Please tell me if you find any spelling or grammar mistakes!

pwnst*r
May 8th, 2009, 06:14 PM
you should have titled your topic differently.

"how to make me money!! (oh and making ubuntu faster too)"

gjoellee
May 8th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Maybe you could set the commands in a <pre> tag or a <code> tag? I don't know how that will look on your web template, but you should get the command even more visible!

CJ Master
May 8th, 2009, 06:18 PM
you should have titled your topic differently.

"how to make me money!! (oh and making ubuntu faster too)"

If you don't want to disable your Adblock, then you don't have too.

Maybe you could set the commands in a <pre> tag or a <code> tag?

That's a great idea, but I don't think eHow allows that.

pwnst*r
May 8th, 2009, 06:32 PM
i didn't disable my adblock, but i did read the article. looks pretty good.

MikeTheC
May 8th, 2009, 06:33 PM
How to make Ubuntu run much faster!
Um...

How about you strap it to one of these...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/11/Cheetah_Kruger.jpg/250px-Cheetah_Kruger.jpg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheetah)

CJ Master
May 8th, 2009, 06:36 PM
i didn't disable my adblock, but i did read the article. looks pretty good.

Thanks. :)

Mike... I wouldn't get near thing even I was in a tank... :P

b@sh_n3rd
May 8th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Um...

How about you strap it to one of these...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/11/Cheetah_Kruger.jpg/250px-Cheetah_Kruger.jpg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheetah)

Haha, dude! That's a good one! :D...:lolflag: You'll have a 90Km/h Ubuntu!

Jive Turkey
May 8th, 2009, 06:47 PM
I think your title could be more descriptive too. ie: speed up gnome by doing X,Y & Z. P.S. I viewed a fugly weight-loss ad, and even clicked on it. Now I feel dirty.

CJ Master
May 8th, 2009, 06:50 PM
I think your title could be more descriptive too. ie: speed up gnome by doing X,Y & Z. P.S. I viewed a fugly weight-loss ad, and even clicked on it. Now I feel dirty.

Haha, Thanks for clicking on it. ;)

If you mean my topic here, then yea changing the topic title might be a good idea.

But if you mean the eHow article, I figure that the putting Ubuntu instead of GNOME would probably generate more search results.

MikeTheC
May 8th, 2009, 06:52 PM
I can imagine it all now...

Mike: Hello. May I ask you a question?

Cheetah: Hmm... Frankly, that depends. You do realize you're a bit closer than I like.

Mike: Sorry, it's just that I'd have to shout if I kept my distance.

Cheetah: No you wouldn't. I can hear from far away. You're the deaf human species.

Mike: *sighs*

Cheetah: So, what do you want?

Mike: I'd like to make my Ubuntu run faster.

Cheetah: Your what?

Mike: Ubuntu. It's, um, a distribution of Linux.

Cheetah: Linux? Oh, I'm not even going to ask. What does that have to do with me?

Mike: Well, see, this dude on Ubuntu Forums wants Ubuntu to run faster. And, well...

Cheetah: Well what?

Mike: I was thinking, if I could just strap this to your back... [Starts to pull out a roll of duct tape]

Cheetah: WHAT?!? You're not strapping an operating system to my back... [starts to maul MikeTheC]

Yeah, I see what you mean, CJ... *wraps self in lots and lots of bandages*

JohnFH
May 8th, 2009, 06:53 PM
http://www.ehow.com/how_4998957_make-ubuntu-run-much-faster.html

(Note: Please temporary disable your adblock for this site. There are no pop-ups, and if you don't then I don't earn money. Thanks!)

Not a chance!! You want me to lower my security and make me look at ads when I don't want to so that you can earn money? No thanks, I have adblock enabled for a reason.

As for the article, there's not much to it, although I've not heard of that tip, so I may try it later.

lovinglinux
May 8th, 2009, 06:53 PM
I don't see instructions on how to make Ubuntu run much faster, just how to reduce the gnome menu delay, which I don't use btw. Am I missing something?

CJ Master
May 8th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Not a chance!! You want me to lower my security and make me look at ads when I don't want to so that you can earn money? No thanks, I have adblock enabled for a reason.

As for the article, there's not much to it, although I've not heard of that tip, so I may try it later.

Alright, I respect your choice. Thanks for checking out the article. :)

Mike: Get well soon! :P

JohnFH
May 8th, 2009, 06:59 PM
I don't see instructions on how to make Ubuntu run much faster, just how to reduce the gnome menu delay, which I don't use btw. Am I missing something?

Eh, nope. Not missing anything and if you are then I'm missing it too. Weird eh? Must be Friday ...

lovinglinux
May 8th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Haha, Thanks for clicking on it. ;)

If you mean my topic here, then yea changing the topic title might be a good idea.

But if you mean the eHow article, I figure that the putting Ubuntu instead of GNOME would probably generate more search results.

Misleading title...disable Adblock...article criticizing Gnome with little information and just a simple tweak tutorial...

I really don't like your approach.

CJ Master
May 8th, 2009, 07:02 PM
No, the Menu delay was the tip. (And enabling icon prefetching.) I personally thought that speeded up gnome tons when I used it (on openbox now.) Though, I reckon that your milage may vary. ;)

Misleading title...disable Adblock...article criticizing Gnome with little information and just a simple tweak tutorial...

Sorry if you thought the title was misleading. I think it's not though. This really does speed up getting to my programs in Ubuntu.

Alright, I guess I'll remove the disable adblock part. I shouldn't ask people to disable their plugins.

The criticism I gave gnome was completely deserved. The tweaks changed what I criticised. I still like gnome though. =)

ibuclaw
May 8th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Since when were the gnome menus slow in the first place? (No really, I would like to know ;))

The update-cache may be good, but it would work alot better alongside readahead.

Something along the lines of:

sudo nano /etc/readahead/desktop
And putting in the path of the icon cache at the bottom. This ensures that it is going to be read from RAM as you login.

Note: Having a look at my cache, I see it is 50MB, so it may not be ideal for those with slower machines.

Regards
Iain

CJ Master
May 8th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Alright, I updated the article, and I think that it fixes all of your concerns. =]

Since when were the gnome menus slow in the first place? (No really, I would like to know ;))

The update-cache may be good, but it would work alot better alongside readahead.

Something along the lines of:

sudo nano /etc/readahead/desktop
And putting in the path of the icon cache at the bottom. This ensures that it is going to be read from RAM as you login.

Note: Having a look at my cache, I see it is 50MB, so it may not be ideal for those with slower machines.

Regards
Iain

When, for example, you move your mouse from "accessories" to "internet" the accessories menu would stay up for about 2 seconds. While not incredibly long, for me it's incredibly annoying.

Hmm. Readahead looks good. The problem is, I don't know too much about it. :P The biggest possible problem is that it might use up more ram for different things, while the original problem was just putting icons in cache.

I don't know though, tell me how it works out! :)

ibuclaw
May 8th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Alright, I updated the article, and I think that it fixes all of your concerns. =]

When, for example, you move your mouse from "accessories" to "internet" the accessories menu would stay up for about 2 seconds. While not incredibly long, for me it's incredibly annoying.

Hmm. Readahead looks good. The problem is, I don't know too much about it. :P The biggest possible problem is that it might use up more ram for different things, while the original problem was just putting icons in cache.

I don't know though, tell me how it works out! :)

Readadhead (http://linux.die.net/man/2/readahead)is the pre-caching feature Ubuntu uses, and helps aid to what makes it run so fast at boot-up/login (albeit with a small overhead).
Although there is a defaulted list, when you add the option "profile" to your kernel boot line, you are infact instructing readahead to "watch" all files that are accessed during the boot phase and (I think) the initialisation of X/gdm/kdm.

More RAM isn't the problem. Linux is very good at organising/caching files in RAM. It's the extra little bit of chugging the hard drive that you'll probably notice.

In the case of readahead, anything over 10MB probably isn't worth the hassle.

CJ Master
May 8th, 2009, 09:25 PM
First off, if the person that went and rated all my articles one star is from here, then I'm extremely disappointed in the maturity in this community. If not, then I apologise.

Readadhead (http://linux.die.net/man/2/readahead)is the pre-caching feature Ubuntu uses, and helps aid to what makes it run so fast at boot-up/login (albeit with a small overhead).
Although there is a defaulted list, when you add the option "profile" to your kernel boot line, you are infact instructing readahead to "watch" all files that are accessed during the boot phase and (I think) the initialisation of X/gdm/kdm.

More RAM isn't the problem. Linux is very good at organising/caching files in RAM. It's the extra little bit of chugging the hard drive that you'll probably notice.

In the case of readahead, anything over 10MB probably isn't worth the hassle.

I see. Thanks for telling me!

I'm confused about your last sentence though. Are you suggesting that I should or shouldn't bother with it? (And I mean update the eHow with how to do it with read-ahead.

zika
May 8th, 2009, 09:47 PM
I always preferred
gtk-menu-popup-delay=0 ... 0 is fastest and 100 is too slow.

CJ Master
May 8th, 2009, 10:09 PM
I always preferred
gtk-menu-popup-delay=0 ... 0 is fastest and 100 is to slow.

Yea. =] However, It's easy to accidentally move your mouse a tiny bit and immediately change menus by accident with it set to 0. But thank you for the suggestion. :)