PDA

View Full Version : What Online Web Apps do you use and why?

pluckypigeon
May 8th, 2009, 05:00 PM
????

billgoldberg
May 8th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Web Apps is a broad term.

What do you mean?

pluckypigeon
May 8th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Web Apps is a broad term.

What do you mean?

Stuff to replace apps installed on your pc.

E.g Google Docs, Google Reader, Web Messenger etc

CraigPaleo
May 8th, 2009, 05:39 PM
None. I just don't have the need for them.

jenkinbr
May 8th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Google Reader is pretty much my only online app at the moment, unless you count Gmail...

Mateo
May 8th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Google Docs, Google Reader, Twitter.

Reasons:

Google Docs - I actually don't use this very often because, well, I don't write very many docs. But it is nice to have docs stored on someone else's server so i don't have to worry about backing it up on thumb drives and making sure all copies are of the same version, etc.

Google Reader - For RSS, google reader is a "lesser evil". To me there is 1 huge problem for computer-based readers and 1 huge problem for web-based readers. Computer-based readers are tied to 1 PC. So if I use multiple PCes, my subscriptions are not in sync. Web-based readers have the problem in that you have to be connected to the website. i can't have a program that sits in the background and notifies me that I have a new posting to read.... well, I can but someone has to develop this application. So it loses that instant email-like quality that RSS had when it originally became popular.

Twitter - These are like hybrids of email, instant messaging, and blogs. You can communicate with other users without having to be logged in at the same time, you can communicate with many users simultaneously, and you can meet people that you usually wouldn't with the other above protocols. I use Twitter because it is the most widely used.