PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Remote login on Ubuntu

linuxus95
May 8th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Hello and thanks for any support. I am currently running Jaunty on two computers joined together in a home network. I was wondering if there was a way to login as a remote user to one of my computers. Basically if i had an account called john on one of the computers, would there be a way to login remotely as john on the other one? Is there something like \\computer1\john which i could type in the username box and login remotely? Thanks for any help.

milton1
May 8th, 2009, 06:10 PM
The easiest, best way to do this is through the command line with ssh. you will need the ssh server running on the machine you want to log into.

sudo apt-get install openssh-server
once this is done, you can log in to the computer with:

ssh <username>@<remote_address>
Adding the -X flag to the above command will give you the option of running graphical apps remaotely, as well.

superprash2003
May 8th, 2009, 06:22 PM
\\computer1\john - used for accessing files.. do you want to remote control the pc or access its files?

linuxus95
May 9th, 2009, 07:40 AM
Thanks for your help, mililtion. Although this works great, my idea is to login remotely from the login screen, meaning just type the username and password of a remote user into the login screen and basically login as him, just from a different computer. I was thinking of an equivalent of "Roaming Profiles" in a Windows environment. I apologize for my bad linux vocabulary, as I am used to the Windows environment and have only been running Ubuntu for a week or so.

superprash2003
May 9th, 2009, 05:04 PM
you could use system->pref->remote desktop to share.. and applications->internet->remote desktop viewer to view