PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] (probably easy) grub question

MacHaddock
May 8th, 2009, 04:14 PM
I can't get 9.04 working if I don't "enter" the grub and go down the menu to the second choice that's not a "failsafe" mode. That is the third choice counting all of them.

Sooooo. I was wondering how I tell the grub to choose this one as a default.

Thanks for your help.

jenkinbr
May 8th, 2009, 05:03 PM
I can't get 9.04 working if I don't "enter" the grub and go down the menu to the second choice that's not a "failsafe" mode. That is the third choice counting all of them.

Sooooo. I was wondering how I tell the grub to choose this one as a default.

Thanks for your help.
Once booted into the system, open a terminal and run the command
sudo cp /boot/grub/menu.lst /boot/grub/menu.lst.bakThis command will back up your menu.lst file, the file that needs to be edited.

Now, hit <alt+F2> and type
gksudo <editor> /boot/grub/menu.lst repacing <editor> with whatever editor Xubuntu uses (Gnome uses Gedit)

Enter your password when prompted.

Once opened, you should see a text file open. There is a line that reads
default 0

You will need to change this entry to a different number. I believe that would need to be '2' based on what you said, but I could be wrong, so be sure you read the rest of this.

Towards the end of the file, you will see entries that begin with a 'title' line. Starting at 0, count up by one for each entry until you see the title that you normally have to boot.

You say that the entry you choos is the third list item, which would mean that you would be selecting the third title line. That would mean you need to change
default 0 to
default 2

Hope this helps.

Help articles that have helped me in the past:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GrubHowto/ChangeDefaultOS

ronparent
May 8th, 2009, 05:13 PM
The grub choices are found in /boot/grub/menu.lst. To shuffle the boot choices is merely to select one you want (near the end of the file) and relocate it in the order you would like it to appear in. Be careful to select all of the lines for that selection and move it as a block. Use the command [B]sudo gedit[/menu.lstB] to do this as administrator. Save when done and if done right you should see the boot order you want at nest boot. If you are nerveous about editing a system file, make a copy of the original before you begin (ie /boot/grub/menu.lst.bu). Good luck.

MacHaddock
May 8th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Yeaaaaah it worked!

If someone could only help me with my other problem (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1070617) I would be set. hint hint wink wink noch noch know what I mean.:wink:

jenkinbr
May 8th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Glad to help.

I'll take a look at your other problem as well and see if I know anything.