PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Old HP Pavilion w/integrated graphics - poor 2D performance

melat0nin
May 8th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Hi all

I am changing a friend's computer over to Ubuntu 9.04 but the graphics performance is pretty bad in 2D.

The machine is an old HP Pavilion a612 with some kind of legacy integrated Intel graphics (I can't remember the precise model, it's got a long name, something like 81582 or something). The Hardware Drivers applet doesn't list any proprietary driver to use, so at the moment I'm stuck with the default driver.

2D performance is bad - scrolling webpages isn't smooth, and Youtube videos etc aren't great either. This isn't really ideal given the uses this old machine will be put to.

I've seen the thread over here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1130582) but that seems a very convoluted process, and as ever with Linux one solution might have been relevant yesterday but has been superceded today.

Any help would be much appreciated :)

HyRax
May 8th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Unfortunately that's the only workaround present atm. No doubt Canonical are working rapidly to fix the slow Intel gfx issue as it appears to be the only real stumbling block for a lot of people.

My EeePC 701 has Intel gfx and I have to admit the only thing that's slow for me is complex 3D. Basic 3D like a flat desktop cube work fine and 2D is working as well as can be expected bar full-screen re-draws in things like Mame.

But until a fix is released, the speed I am experiencing is more than tolerable. Is it bad enough for you that you can't wait a few more weeks for official interim/actual solutions to be supplied by Canonical?

melat0nin
May 9th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Unfortunately that's the only workaround present atm. No doubt Canonical are working rapidly to fix the slow Intel gfx issue as it appears to be the only real stumbling block for a lot of people.

My EeePC 701 has Intel gfx and I have to admit the only thing that's slow for me is complex 3D. Basic 3D like a flat desktop cube work fine and 2D is working as well as can be expected bar full-screen re-draws in things like Mame.

But until a fix is released, the speed I am experiencing is more than tolerable. Is it bad enough for you that you can't wait a few more weeks for official interim/actual solutions to be supplied by Canonical?

Well I can't get any 3D at all, and 2D performance is pretty dire (scrolling webpages is a slideshow etc). No drivers come up in the Hardware Drivers applet.

It's usable but far from ideal. What would be the cheapest discreet card which would solve this problem? i.e. a card which has definite driver support in 9.04 and won't give any problems? The machine has an AGP 4x slot. Would spend about £20 just to get the desktop running smoothly.

Eberhard
May 9th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Sorry, didn't see the link in #1...:oops: