PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] confusion about Jaunty and ATI / Nvidia

rebeltaz
May 8th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Ok.. I just upgraded from 8.10 to 9.04 and already I regret it. As others have reported, my system has slowed down considerably. Icons on the drop down menus take a second or two to show up and I get the same second or two delay opening windows. Seeing that it is being attributed to graphics drivers in some systems, I decided to see what I had installed.

I seem to have both ATI and Nvidia drivers installed. In Synaptic, I find software and drivers for both listed as installed. Making it more odd still is that lspci -v reports that my graphics chipset (this is an eMachines E520 laptop BTW) is Intel - not ATI or Nvidia.

Is there anyway to figure out which drivers are actually being used and remove the set not needed. Or to remove both and let Ubuntu reinstall the correct set?

Thanks... and hopefully this makes sense....

rebeltaz
May 9th, 2009, 05:45 AM
Another thing I've noticed is that I cannot enable any Visual Effects under Preferences/Appearance even if I wanted to. It tells me that Visual Effects could not be enabled. And this is after I performed the steps to revert to the 2.4 Intel driver.

I think the problem with the visual effects occured after I tried EnvyNG to install graphics drivers. I removed EnvyNG, but the effect problem still remains.

And the dropdown menus themselves are taking much longer than normal even after reverting to 2.4

BTW - for the record my system is an eMachines E520 2GHz CPU with 1GHz RAM.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated...