PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do I install Ubuntu without losing data?

NS RAO
May 8th, 2009, 07:57 AM
I'm a little bit confused about how to install Ubuntu without losing anything on my pc. i want to be able to run Windows as well as Ubuntu, so i have to create a new partition, right? If so can I create a new partition without erasing my harddrive?

Partyboi2
May 8th, 2009, 07:59 AM
If you are wanting to install Ubuntu to its own partition you will not erase your disk and the installer with give you the option to install ubuntu next to your windows partition.
If you don't want to partition then you could use wubi to install ubuntu on the same partition as windows.

Egi_Power
May 8th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Hi!

The easiest way would be if you just install it in windows as any other software.
EDIT:
Then it wouldn't need new partition, it would just use your existing windows partition, leaving your files and settings untouched.
Ubuntu will simply install on the free space existing on your disk.

Boot into windows.
Insert Ubuntu live CD in the drive.
Now you should be able to select the option to install it inside windows.
Then when you boot your computer up you'll have a boot menu where you can choose if you want start Ubuntu or windows.

If you will like Ubuntu (hopefully), later on you can still make a separate partition for it.
EDIT:
Before you make a new partition, I would recommend defragmenting your hard disk.
To do that, right click on My Computer.
Select Manage from the menu.
In Computer Management in the left pane under Storage you'll find Disk Defragmenter.

If you wouldn't like it, just boot into windows and remove it as any other software.

Best regards,

Egi_Power