PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Claws Mail SSL support gone!

msbarker
May 8th, 2009, 07:53 AM
I upgraded to jaunty from hardy today. The upgrade went well with no real problems except I lost ssl support in claws mail. Initially, claws mail worked as before, but after upgrading the plugins from the jaunty repositories I have no more ssl to my imap server. I have tried reverting to previous claws versions and reinstallations with no luck. I also deleted my imap server certificates, and claws has not picked up new certs yet. It will connect just fine without ssl. Any ideas out there?

ahbart
May 8th, 2009, 09:26 AM
I did not see this problem on my system, but I'm using the Claws repository directly. These are newer versions. link (https://launchpad.net/~claws-mail/+archive/ppa)

msbarker
May 8th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Thanks ahbart for the suggestion. It was actually after using the binaries from the Claws repository directly that I lost ssl. After installing jaunty I lost notifications, and redirected my sources to the launchpad claws jaunty sources. After upgrading everything to 3.7.1 that's when I lost ssl. Even if I completely remove claws and reinstall from the Ubuntu repository I have no ssl for claws. Pretty odd. Nothing that I can in my firewall is blocking it.

ahbart
May 8th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Is it only a claws problem? Did you try to completely remove claws from synaptic? and install it after that?

msbarker
May 8th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Yes, it only seems to be a claws problem. Evolution appears to access the server (fastmail) with ssl just fine. I just completely removed claws from the system, backups and deleted my profile, and started with a compeltely clean claws install and profile. No ssl. I'll try a new account to my university's servers. It seems that either ssl is broken with my particular installs of claws, or something is blocking claws from using ssl.

msbarker
May 8th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Just tried setting up a ssl connection to my university's servers. Same problem as connecting to my other servers. Note that non-ssl imap connections work fine. Any ideas? For now, I am just using unauthenticated connections or ultimately switching to evolution. Any other ideas?

albinootje
May 8th, 2009, 06:09 PM
After upgrading everything to 3.7.1 that's when I lost ssl. Even if I completely remove claws and reinstall from the Ubuntu repository I have no ssl for claws.

It could be a configuration/settings upgrade issue.
Can you create a new user account (or use the guest account) and test with a completely fresh usage of claws ?

ahbart
May 8th, 2009, 06:15 PM
You could try to create an new account in claws with a different name, but the same pop/imap settings.

edit: I just saw your reaction Albinootje. Little to late then.

msbarker
May 8th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Just tried making a completely new ubuntu profile, reinstall claws, and still no ssl. Evolution does ssl and I may move over this weekend. I have been a claws user for over 2 years and this is the only time I have been frustrated by it. Thanks for all the help so far and any additional advice is welcomed.

albinootje
May 8th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Just tried making a completely new ubuntu profile, reinstall claws, and still no ssl. Evolution does ssl and I may move over this weekend. I have been a claws user for over 2 years and this is the only time I have been frustrated by it.

I've been using Sylpheed since many years, and switched to Claws a few years ago, and I'm a bit sad to read your response here.
I think you should try to clearify and fix this problem with us together, it is e.g. possible that the PPA Claws was compiled without SSL support by mistake.

msbarker
May 8th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Thanks albinootje! I would prefer to keep working with claws as well - it is a very productive e-mail client. I'll contact the people at PPA and see if this problem has been reported before. If anybody has any other ideas, I am open to them.

albinootje
May 8th, 2009, 06:36 PM
I would prefer to keep working with claws as well - it is a very productive e-mail client. I'll contact the people at PPA and see if this problem has been reported before.

Thanks :) And I forgot that I have Ubuntu Jaunty on my netbook, I'll do some testing now.

albinootje
May 8th, 2009, 06:54 PM
I just tested it with Claws from Jaunty with a fresh start (No old configuration/preferences used), and that worked without problems.
Then I upgraded Claws to the version from the mentioned PPA (3.7.1), and that also worked without problems.

I'm connecting via SSL to an imap server running on port 993, which
does not even support plain imap without SSL on port 143 :)

Can you describe what exactly goes wrong, or what the error messages are ?

msbarker
May 8th, 2009, 07:11 PM
I get a "ssl handshake failed" error with claws. I am connecting with ssl to port 993 with no luck. Immediately before the claws upgrade it worked just fine, and had been working for over a year.

albinootje
May 8th, 2009, 07:29 PM
I get a "ssl handshake failed" error with claws. I am connecting with ssl to port 993 with no luck. Immediately before the claws upgrade it worked just fine, and had been working for over a year.

Here's someone with a similar problem, but on Hardy, and longer ago : http://www.nabble.com/claws-mail-3.6-from-launchpad-and-SSL-td19824279.html

I wonder why I don't have a problem with 3.7.1-PPA for reading email via imap-ssl on Jaunty.

By the way, instead of switching to Evolution you could go back to Claws 3.6.x, or does 3.7.1 feature changes that you really need ?

msbarker
May 8th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the link, I'll check it out. I would go back to Claws 3.6.x or even 3.5.x but they have the same problem now. SSL is completely gone from Claws, even older versions (as mentioned in earlier posts). Thanks for the help.

albinootje
May 8th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Thanks for the link, I'll check it out. I would go back to Claws 3.6.x or even 3.5.x but they have the same problem now. SSL is completely gone from Claws, even older versions (as mentioned in earlier posts).

Did you try the following :
1) shut down Claws
2) type this in a terminal :

mv .claws-mail .claws-mail-OLD

3) start Claws, and test again.

After this still doesn't work, put the settings back like they were :

mv .claws-mail .claws-mail-test
mv .claws-mail-OLD .claws-mail

msbarker
May 8th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Already tried a completely fresh .claws-mail with new installs. I wonder if there is some problem with gnutls or openssl?

msbarker
May 9th, 2009, 12:28 AM
I solved my problem! Instead of using the PPA for Jaunty, I uninstalled and used the claws mail 3.7.1 ppa for Hardy. I noticed that there was no libetpan for jaunty, but I don't know if this is the problem. Anyway, reverting to the version compiled for hardy works great on my jaunty system.

albinootje
May 9th, 2009, 01:15 AM
I solved my problem! Instead of using the PPA for Jaunty, I uninstalled and used the claws mail 3.7.1 ppa for Hardy. I noticed that there was no libetpan for jaunty, but I don't know if this is the problem.

I noticed that too.

Anyway, reverting to the version compiled for hardy works great on my jaunty system.

Cool, congrats :)