PDA

View Full Version : The trouble with lightbulbs

haemulon
May 8th, 2009, 07:10 AM
Once again today I see a person throw a fluorescent light bulb in the trash.

These people don't know that type of light bulb needs to be disposed of at a recycling center so they can be handled properly.

When a fluorescent bulb breaks it releases the mercury contained inside.

Mercury is very toxic and dangerous once it's in the environment.

So now that there is this move to get rid of the incandescent bulbs, we'll save some money on energy but fill the environment up with mercury.

That does not sound like a good deal.

I'd rather not have the mercury, it's very toxic to people and animals.

Burning carbon also releases mercury, so maybe it doesn't matter, but still now we'll have both the light bulbs and carbon burning putting the mercury out there.

MikeTheC
May 8th, 2009, 07:34 AM
That's how everyone used to get rid of fluorescent lightbulbs. I can readily remember when I was in middle school they used to toss any number of those bulbs in the dumpster on a regular basis as they burned out in the classrooms.

I don't hold with our government telling us we "must" switch over to these new light bulbs. As you say, they're full of mercury and if you break one now require a hasmat cleanup. They're supposed to be "better" but how are they better if they will harm the environment?

I mean, not to get into a political discussion here or anything, but I'm really tired of seeing this sort of mindless crap being supported by the government and the people.

I'd far rather have incandescents, thank you very much, and will strive to have and use them for as long as possible.

steeleyuk
May 8th, 2009, 09:41 AM
As you say, they're full of mercury and if you break one now require a hasmat cleanup. They're supposed to be "better" but how are they better if they will harm the environment?

The amount of Mercury in them is minimal, I broke an old one a few years ago and haven't mutated or died yet. Also, as long as you don't anything stupid like eat the glass then theres not much danger from one bulb.

I'd far rather have incandescents, thank you very much, and will strive to have and use them for as long as possible.

Its your money that you're wasting.

darrenn
May 8th, 2009, 10:23 AM
CFLs contain a very small amount of mercury sealed within the glass tubing – an average of 5 milligrams, which is roughly equivalent to an amount that would cover the tip of a ball-point pen. No mercury is released when the bulbs are intact or in use. By comparison, older thermometers contain about 500 milligrams of mercury. It would take 100 CFLs to equal that amount.

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/mercury-fluorescent-lights.shtml

red_Marvin
May 8th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Burning carbon also releases mercury, so maybe it doesn't matter, but still now we'll have both the light bulbs and carbon burning putting the mercury out there.

How do you mean? Mercury would only be released if the carbon was polluted with it before or if it is added in the burn process (which I doubt).

mcduck
May 8th, 2009, 11:52 AM
I pretty much bet that the idea in US about the same as in EU, as in not forcing people to use fluorescent tubes and similar, but instead just getting rid of the highly inefficient incandescent light bulbs. This still leaves you the freedom to use halogens, LEDs, and pretty much every other type than incandescent bulbs.

I actually find it quite amusing how everybody seems to think that this is a question of forcing fluorescent lights on people, and how all conversation about the idea seems to be fixated around these two types of light bulbs as if nothing else existed.

3rdalbum
May 8th, 2009, 12:07 PM

Dude, have you looked at a periodic table? Carbon is an element. Mercury is an element. Burning carbon does not produce mercury.

haemulon
May 8th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Dude, have you looked at a periodic table? Carbon is an element. Mercury is an element. Burning carbon does not produce mercury.

What I was referring to is the burning of carbon biomass such as when fires are set to burn grasslands or other fires which releases the small amounts of mercury into the air, the coal burning power plants also emit mercury.

I could have stated that better, but my point is that there are already sources of mercury pollution.

swoll1980
May 8th, 2009, 01:19 PM

These people don't know that type of light bulb needs to be disposed of at a recycling center so they can be handled properly.

So now that there is this move to get rid of the incandescent bulbs, we'll save some money on energy but fill the environment up with mercury.

I take them in the back yard, and shoot them with a bb gun.

Rainstride
May 8th, 2009, 02:39 PM

you drop one of those things in your house you damn near need a hazmat team to clean it up(unless you want brain damage from mercury poisoning). im planning to switch to led lighting once i get my own place in a couple months.

(google popped up these)
http://www.ccrane.com/lights/led-light-bulbs/index.aspx
http://www.ledbulbs.com/
http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007/02/led_bulb_replac.php

HavocXphere
May 8th, 2009, 03:21 PM

The CFLs are intended as a stop-gap measure until the LEDs are ready since CFLs are not sustainable as you pointed out. The other thing that is slightly worrying about the CFLs is that they need an electronics starting mechanism...i.e. a small circuit board and all the nastiness thats in those.

Also, I'd like to highlight one section of the article that darrenn pointed out: (Thanks Darrenn...I didn't know this)

Ironically, the use of CFL's actually reduces overall mercury emissions. CFL's use less coal-generated electricity than incandescent bulbs and coal-fired power plants around the world emit significant amounts of mercury.

Burning carbon also releases mercury
Carbon/Coal...close enough. Coal is never completely pure so you're right.

The amount of Mercury in them is minimal
Ummm no. It's enough to make about 2500L of water undrinkable, i.e. over FDA Max limit. A single lightbulb. In practice not all of it will reach drinking water....but still, we've got 6.7 billion people on this earth who want lightbulbs.

steeleyuk
May 8th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Ummm no. It's enough to make about 2500L of water undrinkable, i.e. over FDA Max limit. A single lightbulb. In practice not all of it will reach drinking water....but still, we've got 6.7 billion people on this earth who want lightbulbs.

Its still minimal... though I didn't say it wouldn't have an effect if put next to a water supply.

SuperSonic4
May 8th, 2009, 04:22 PM
The trouble with lightbulbs is that they form the basis for truly awful jokes