PDA

View Full Version : Asus EEEs with linux for $159

Warpnow
May 8th, 2009, 06:13 AM
Sellout.woot.com has them for $159. I figured alot of people on this forum would find that deal interesting, to say the least, as there is an ubuntu derivative aimed at the eee pcs.

hanzomon4
May 8th, 2009, 06:16 AM
I wish I could get one for my mom

Kareeser
May 8th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Assuming money isn't the issue, why don't you?

gn2
May 8th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Not bad, but it's second hand.
What do they go for on ebay in the USA?

pwnst*r
i've not been following netbooks closely.

pros and cons please?

pwnst*r
Not bad, but it's second hand.
What do they go for on ebay in the USA?

refurb is not exactly second hand. second hand would strictly mean it was handed down from one consumer to the next.

hardyn
May 8th, 2009, 04:26 PM
referb has to be specifically defined by the vendor. i have heard a range of definitions for refurbished, from factory reconditioned to retail return. you really have to watch "refurbished".

P Minix
May 8th, 2009, 04:39 PM
I just got one.

It has a 60d return policy from a relatively respectable vendor, so what "refurbished" means is a little moot.

If I can live with the screen size and ever get my BB to tether with it may make my back feel better.

Woormy
May 8th, 2009, 06:34 PM
I got one of these last time Woot had them and installed Easy Peasy on an SD card. I use it way more than I expected.

CJ Master
May 8th, 2009, 06:57 PM
If nothing else, the fact the site is named "woot" scares me. >.>

pwnst*r
May 8th, 2009, 07:15 PM
If nothing else, the fact the site is named "woot" scares me. >.>

i hope you're joking.

Old_Grey_Wolf
May 8th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Oh well, they appear to already be sold out.

Therion
May 8th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Oh well, they appear to already be sold out.
Blame the 6% that bought two.

I looooooove my Asus eee 1000H, btw. Bought the thing as a toy but after a $25 RAM upgrade, and a few tweaks, it just about flies and I find it's getting waaaay more use than I ever expected. Disgustingly portable and the battery life is amazing (5+ hours).

/Shouldn't it be w00t?

Old_Grey_Wolf
May 8th, 2009, 08:02 PM

Actually, I was thinking about buying three of them, one for each of my grandchildren. :lolflag:

mikedpirone
May 8th, 2009, 09:58 PM
I bought an Asus eeePC 900 with linux from woot about 3 weeks ago when they had it for $149. I got it a week later and I love it. Installed Ubuntu NBR on it and it flies even though it's a 900Mhz Celeron. One of the best purchases I've ever made to be honest.

drawkcab
May 9th, 2009, 01:07 AM
So beyond woot you can still find hot deals on these here and there.

This afternoon I went to check out the 9" Asus they had at Best Buy. It is a nice little unit. If the keyboard were a little larger I would have ordered one but it is just too small for me to type on. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for a hot deal on something a bit larger.

sgosnell
May 9th, 2009, 03:17 AM
You haven't given the keyboard a fair trial. It takes a day or two to fully get used to it, but it quickly becomes second nature. I can type faster on my 900 than on a full-sized keyboard. The keyboard is very responsive, and I don't have to move my fingers as far.

drawkcab
May 9th, 2009, 03:23 AM
You haven't given the keyboard a fair trial. It takes a day or two to fully get used to it, but it quickly becomes second nature. I can type faster on my 900 than on a full-sized keyboard. The keyboard is very responsive, and I don't have to move my fingers as far.

Well I'm 6'3, 230 lbs. I don't have exceptionally large hands but big enough to palm a basketball easily. The 10" keyboard felt small, but just large enough to accommodate. The 9" was almost impossible. If I didn't need to sometimes write on it, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

sgosnell
May 9th, 2009, 03:51 AM
My hands aren't exceptionally large, but probably about the same size as yours. Maybe my fingers aren't as thick, I don't know, but I have no problems at all. Like I said, it took a couple of days for the muscle memory to transfer, but after that I never looked back.

gn2
May 9th, 2009, 09:22 AM
I can't touchtype, keyboard size isn't a problem for me at all.
Strictly forefingers only for me.
Big visible letters helps me more than the size of the board, I can never remember where all the keys are.

Orlsend
May 9th, 2009, 12:21 PM

I looooooove my Asus eee 1000H, btw. Bought the thing as a toy but after a $25 RAM upgrade, and a few tweaks, it just about flies and I find it's getting waaaay more use than I ever expected. Disgustingly portable and the battery life is amazing (5+ hours).

/Shouldn't it be w00t?

Actually Gskill offers a 17$ dollar 2GB ram, which works like a charm with all the Eeepc models!

If you run Firefox on the ram its saves even more power!

Therion
May 9th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Actually Gskill offers a 17$ dollar 2GB ram, which works like a charm with all the Eeepc models!
Ah well... RAM prices fluctuate. I paid $25 for my 2GB stick of Corsair and I'm happy as a clam. I don't seem to be missing the $8 all THAT much.

Now... They just need to have a sale on 16GB SDHC cards. Then I'll be set!!

drawkcab
May 10th, 2009, 07:04 AM
Well I broke down and ordered one from Mwave.com after all. It should be fun to screw around with for a while. If in the end I hate it, I can just sell it on craigslist for the same price I paid for it.

sgosnell
May 11th, 2009, 02:39 AM
Be careful, you may get hooked and end up putting your big laptop on Craig'sList.

drawkcab
May 11th, 2009, 03:18 AM
Nah, I need my laptop to write on and to run media presentations.

Well I just sort of thought to myself, how much would I spend for, say, a Kindle or for an ipod touch, each of which has limited functionalities? At least $100-$300 more, and since I already have a smartphone I would probably have a lot more use for an inexpensive netbook, especially when I travel. Not to mention, it's going to be fun to screw around with modding it and trying out various distros.

sgosnell
May 11th, 2009, 05:11 AM
The Eee works great for media presentations, if you use an external projector. I ran a photo slideshow at my daughter's wedding reception on mine, because it was easier than getting a Windows machine configured and working. It took a couple of minutes at most to get it configured. As for writing, it's better than a big laptop, because your fingers don't have to move as far. It's capable of anything any laptop is capable of, and the keyboard is great after a couple of days of practice. It takes a little getting used to, of course, but after a day or two I found I could type faster than on a standard keyboard. The portability is the real deal-sealer, though. I carry mine everywhere, and it boots quickly and works for me. As often as not, I just have it suspend and then it comes back to life immediately when I need it.

Like I said, it's addictive.

P Minix
May 12th, 2009, 04:53 PM
This may sound stupid, but I find the fact that I paid so little for it the most reassuring. I don't worry about leaving it in the car or a hotel room, and I keep files I care about on a USB stick or online. Just the pain and suffering associated with recovering outlook and all my Windows apps keeps my ThinkPad firmly locked in its docking station.

If I could just get it to tether through my Blackberry and find a regulated 12 car charger for it all would be good.

My daughter wants to paint it, she's 3 and I'm not sure if there are any safe paints suitable for a case mod available - any hints about where to look.

Gucko
May 12th, 2009, 05:23 PM
n

drawkcab
May 12th, 2009, 07:57 PM
the infamous mwave.com is holding up my order...charged my visa but no approval of the order...not happy!

Edit: Well, they finally cancelled my order. Now I will probably log onto ebay and order from the same company.