PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Partitioning Issues

monchedeng
May 8th, 2009, 02:38 AM
Hi, I am seriously considering a switch to Ubuntu. However, I am coming from a science background, and as such, I know almost nothing about Linux but I am willing to learn. As such, I would really appreciate some help and/or comments regarding some issues.

1. I am currently used to having two NTFS partitions on my hard drive, one for files, as an added backup measure. Is this possible in Ubuntu, and how can this be achieved?

2. In the event that I would like to upgrade to a new release, can I install the latest distro without deleting the data in the other partition (which I have for data, if it is possible)?

I hope to have favorable responses, and I am thanking everybody in advance for all the help. More power to everybody in this project.:KS

zvacet
May 8th, 2009, 06:52 AM
Your questions are connected so yes you can have two Ubuntu partitions.One for system (root partition) and one for settings and files (home partition).If you have separate home partition then you will save your files when you choose to upgrade or do fresh install.