PDA

View Full Version : A heart breaking story!

Electron
May 8th, 2009, 02:03 AM
I got layoff from work not too long ago, so I got some time at hand. So I decided start playing with diferrents distros, just to see what's out there.
This is what I got for testing:
1. Vista
2. Windows 7
3. Fedora 10
4. Kubuntu 9.04
5. Mandriva 2009
6. Ubuntu 9.04
7. openSuse 11.1

Well, I am not going to waste much time with M$, they suck! Fedora is not bad, but ... is not for me. Kubuntu (what was that) it seen that canonical condenmed Kubuntu to suffer in hell. Mandriva is fast, but is not as completed as Ubuntu. This where "my problem" start.

I love Ubuntu is simple, everything work, fast ... not complain from me, and the community is the best, You guys rock! But I am in a stage that I need to learn more, at least that's what I think, so I decided to install openSuse 11.1 Gnome desktop (Kde is not stable). Therefore, after installing openSuse I found out that I can customize it more than Ubuntu. But openSuse forums is not as well organized as Ubuntu making it harder to find info and/or help.

I really want to keep Ubuntu, but I feel like I' stuck on my learning journey. Is there anything that I can do to "learn" more. What I mean is, What can I do to cross that barrier between an user and a "linux tech"? Is that is something that has to do with the distro that I choose or is just a "normal process" within linux users?

Is there anyone, out there who has felt the same way before (broke hearted between distro) Now this is sounding like love story
Maybe I got too much time on my hand and I should go back to work (that's what my wife said) :) .

hansdown
May 8th, 2009, 02:27 AM
Hi Electron.

I've done some distro hopping, but always come back to ubuntu.

It is the best one that I have tried.

dubhear
May 8th, 2009, 02:31 AM
nice signature.

Seriously i think i can cross wine with my windows?

am i doing it right?:P

drawkcab
May 8th, 2009, 02:58 AM
Why not set aside a partition and try working through one of the more difficult distros like slackware, arch or gentoo?

bxcrx
May 8th, 2009, 03:06 AM
I like being able to "google" ubuntu + my problem and finding the answer almost all the time.

I used to use Mandrake now Mandriva about 10 years ago, for the same reasons that I use ubuntu today, because everything just worked and it was easy to configure.

More Ubuntu/Linux support = more time for me to ticker with other parts of Ubuntu/Linux.

Linux is all about the kernel though right lol?

monsterstack
May 8th, 2009, 03:07 AM
I was a user of Debian for a long time. It was how I learned to use Linux. That said, a great many of my google queries ended up giving me links to this very forum. Most of the time solutions were cross-compatible, and when they weren't, or when the problems were specific to Debian, then Debian's own forum users turned out to be extremely helpful.

Running an alternative OS on another partition as per drawkcab's advice is a great way to learn your way around a new distro. I did just that with slitaz, sidux and the infamous sid (which was a disaster, but at least I learnt something whilst attempting it).