PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] How to completely remove and reinstall openoffice.org

h4ck3r
May 8th, 2009, 01:47 AM
Hey guys, I was trying to upgrade to 3.1 today, now, I just want to get it back to normal. How do I completely remove all packages of it that I have, I think I got it, but maybe I missed a few, and then install it the way it was installed when I did a clean install from the disk. I have gotten it close, but the theme is still off. Even with the openoffice.org-kde package installed. Any tips?

h4ck3r
May 8th, 2009, 01:55 AM
What I mean by the theme is off, is it doesn't look like the default openoffice. I really just want to get it exactly the way it was before I messed with it :P

Don't you hate the feeling... why did I ever mess with it in the first place?

h4ck3r
May 8th, 2009, 03:05 AM
*bump*

colau
May 8th, 2009, 03:12 AM
To install
aptitude install openoffice.org

To remove
aptitude remove openoffice.org

Do they work?

h4ck3r
May 8th, 2009, 03:29 AM
Hmmm, I have been using apt-get install / remove (I'm an old ubuntu user) Apparently, they've improved and aptitude does things differently and has special rules over apt-get... that worked wonders. THANKS!

I did an apt-get remove openoffice.org*.*
Then I did an aptitude install openoffice.org

but my theme was still messed up, I then did an aptitude install openoffice.org-kde

*edit* Btw, I removed my ~/.openoffice.org directory too.

And it was all back to normal.

Thanks.

h4ck3r
May 8th, 2009, 03:30 AM
Clearly aptitude handles packages differently than apt-get does, it downgraded some packages and did some cool stuff, I'm impressed with the changes they've made!

sgosnell
May 8th, 2009, 03:56 AM
"sudo apt-get remove" doesn't delete configuration files. For that, you need to use "sudo apt-get purge". In Synaptic, you can mark the open office packages as "mark for complete removal" to get the same results.

ranavita
March 14th, 2011, 10:06 AM
"sudo apt-get remove" doesn't delete configuration files. For that, you need to use "sudo apt-get purge". In Synaptic, you can mark the open office packages as "mark for complete removal" to get the same results.

very good solution.

Hagar Delest
March 15th, 2011, 10:23 PM
See also: [Ubuntu] Installing OOo on Debian and Co. (http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=68)