PDA

View Full Version : [mythbuntu] what to buy

hpbigfoot
May 8th, 2009, 01:08 AM
I am sure this has been asked many times over but I couldn't find exactly what i was looking for. So i appoligize for any repeats. I am finally fed up with disk network and my local cable company is asking 20/month for dvr rental. I currently have an Dell optiplex 745 desktop model with a dual core and 2Gb of ram. Plenty powerfull computer. I want to dedicate this computer to becoming a DVR. My cable company will give me what i need without a cable box so a direct coax cable will be going into it. It will be standard cable with no HD. I would like a dual tuner so i can watch tv while recording another. I have HDMI into my receiver and to my TV. So if i am thinking i will need 2 things. 1 Dual tuner card with Remote control and 1 new video card with hdmi out. Is my thinking way off on this? I will consider any recommendation because i am at a loss trying to figure out what i should purchase.

Thank you!

HydroTech
May 8th, 2009, 02:37 AM
A good idea would be in MaximumPC's May 2009 edition which shows how to turn your pc into a media center. See if you can obtain a copy of that or you might be able to find it on their website.(I think it's maximumpc.com)
If not there's always hulu.com, XBMC, or boxee. Check 'em out.:guitar:

hpbigfoot
May 8th, 2009, 06:10 PM
I will check it out. Thanks for the reply.

hpbigfoot
May 8th, 2009, 09:34 PM
I checked out the sites. I see what you are getting at but i am looking more for hardware recommendations that i can add to my PC. Anyone have ideas?

HydroTech
May 9th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Sry, I get it now. I'd look around and especially at newegg.com for any hardware.

HydroTech
May 9th, 2009, 07:04 PM
before you buy two cards, see if there's a combo card that meets all your needs. Those are always sweet.:guitar: