PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Eee Getting over 60 Degrees celcus

Richard9795
May 8th, 2009, 12:21 AM
my eeepc running ubuntu 8.04 gets really hot (up to 70 degrees C) it practically burns you, can anyone tell me what is up with this eee, i cant stand the heat.

Richard9795
May 8th, 2009, 12:32 AM
right now it is at 62.0 degrees C

wsonar
May 8th, 2009, 12:39 AM
not familiar with the eee is this a laptop?

my latitude 620 gets extremly hot if I don't use it in the Dock

like if I just have it flat on a table

wsonar
May 8th, 2009, 12:41 AM
yea it is a laptop they sell laptop cooling pad's I've been thinking about getting one

wsonar
May 8th, 2009, 12:45 AM
right now it is at 62.0 degrees C

If it's two hot you should shut it down till it cool soff

Richard9795
May 8th, 2009, 12:46 AM
i know me too, but it is very small, i dont know if they sell any that size, but it never got this hot with windows (50 Degrees C under normal use and 55 Degrees C when playing return to castle wolfenstein)

Dex73
May 8th, 2009, 12:54 AM
I have a gateway laptop with the same problem. I was even running vista without a lot of heat. Anyways it only seems to get hot when there is inactivity esp. during screen saver. I'd really like to know why doing less creates more heat!

CyanideSyntax
May 8th, 2009, 01:00 AM
I have a gateway laptop with the same problem. I was even running vista without a lot of heat. Anyways it only seems to get hot when there is inactivity esp. during screen saver. I'd really like to know why doing less creates more heat!

Thats probably because of all the complicated video rendering it has to do in screensaver mode.

Try switching your screensaver to something that doesn't need to render, like a blank or black screen.

Richard9795
May 8th, 2009, 01:02 AM
did i mention that i am running AWN? and im using compiz.

Dex73
May 8th, 2009, 01:09 AM
Thats probably because of all the complicated video rendering it has to do in screensaver mode.

Try switching your screensaver to something that doesn't need to render, like a blank or black screen.

I've tried that and didn't notice a difference. Also cools down quickly when music is playing and the heat is centralized where my 128 GB hard drive is. (doesn't spin, looks like a wide mem stick and plugs in)

CyanideSyntax
May 8th, 2009, 01:16 AM
I've tried that and didn't notice a difference. Also cools down quickly when music is playing and the heat is centralized where my 128 GB hard drive is. (doesn't spin, looks like a wide mem stick and plugs in)

so you put an external SSHDD in it and its heating up pretty good?
that could be a number of things. faulty wiring, poor exhaust, etc.

you would have to give me more details on it if i were to help you.

did i mention that i am running AWN? and im using compiz.

if you did, i didnt catch it.
and i wouldnt think that awn would affect it a whole lot.
compiz could be if your running it to the maximum.
i know my gateway t6330u runs compiz effects to the maximum, and it does get a but toasty when its not on its cooling pad.
not terribly hot, just more than it should be.

thats why i switch compiz off when im taking it mobile.

Dex73
May 8th, 2009, 01:38 AM
My Gateway is model # MT6840. I'm running 8.04. The hard drive is the standard one that came with the computer (sorry not very good with technical terms) and is located inside the computer no where near the fan. Let me know if you need any other data.

Richard9795
May 8th, 2009, 01:38 AM
is there a way to control my fan speed like eeectl?