PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Lenovo T500

CapitanYochua
May 8th, 2009, 12:11 AM
I was thinking about purchasing a lenovo T500. Does anyone have any feedback on linux compatibility for this product? Especially the graphics card, network card, and integrated camera. State whether the components work out of the box or with some modifying.
Feel free to include any other feedback.
Thank You.

CapitanYochua
May 9th, 2009, 06:24 AM
any advice?

softtower
May 9th, 2009, 07:08 AM
I've been using Thinkpads forever. They have *excellent* Linux compatibility record. However, the current crop of Thinkpads have *terrible* LCDs. As much as I like those laptops, I had to switch to Macbook Pro (and I am suffering on OSX as I type this), waiting for Lenovo to release something with a usable 14" or 15" LCD.

I have tried two T500 models: the one with 1650x1080 15" (CCFL) and 1280x800 (LED). The first one is way too dark with washed out colors, usable only in a basement, the second one was simply ridiculous: bright, sure, but the bottom part of the screen was two times brighter than the rest, colors were washed out and blacks looked grey. I am not very picky, but this was just ridiculous - *any* of those $599 laptops in Best Buy uses a better screen. My friend has T400 with CCFL panel and it's just as crappy: dark, low-contrast, with washed out colors. I have never seen an LCD this bad.

Check out Thinkpad forums: people are moaning and bitching about these useless panels, and Lenovo even responded in their "blog" citing LCD manufacturers, yet Apple and even Dell have no issues finding suppliers for 1440x900 LED panels.

Squid Spectre
May 11th, 2009, 06:59 PM
I'm using a T500 now. I remeber it was difficult to find information on them when I was doing research for my purchase. It worked great out of the box with Ubuntu. A few things need tweaking.:

1.) Switching the graphics cards in the BIOS system, I use the integrated graphics to save power.
2.) The fingerprint reader doesn't seem to work, Im still messing with it.

Thats it, everything else works out of the box.

PS - The panels aren't perfect the color is a little cool (blue heavy and lacking in green), but I find that people make it sound worse than it is. Coming from a computer programmer who stares at LCDs all day, this is entirely bearable and is nicer than a lots of the other monitors I have to deal with daily. I recommend the 1660x1050 CLFL, unless you find yourself programming on a sunny day at high noon in an open field you'll be fine.

Russel_Winder
June 13th, 2009, 01:24 PM
I got the 1680x1050 T500 and its screen is fine. Not as bright as a MacBook true, but fine -- even when sunny. I guess I must just like pastel colours.

Ubuntu 9.04 is running fine except for the "occasional hang" problem that every machine seems to have with Jaunty. The fora and bug reports are many on this.

Overall I like the machine a lot and it does everything I need.

Though it would be good if I could get the fingerprint reader working. The thinkfinger packages appear not to be compatible with this reader. Thinkfinger seems to be dedicated to a Thomson device (0483:2016) and T500 uses an AuthenTec device (08ff:2810)