PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Tried netbook remix on desktop and now nothing

rcayea
May 8th, 2009, 12:01 AM
Hey folks,

For some crazy reason I tried netbook remix on my desktop. I selected desktop-switcher and immediately got a warning that something was wrong. So now I have no netbook look. then I tried to right click on the desktop and I can't seem to do that. I have lost everything that was on my desktop before this netbook try.

any ideas how I can revert back to my standard gnome desktop?

Also here is some info from my nvidia card when I looked at it...

WARNING: No Layout specified, constructing implicit layout section using screen
"Default Screen".

WARNING: Unable to find CorePointer in X configuration; attempting to add new
CorePointer section.

WARNING: The CorePointer device was not specified explicitly in the layout;
using the first mouse device.

WARNING: Unable to find CoreKeyboard in X configuration; attempting to add new
CoreKeyboard section.

WARNING: The CoreKeyboard device was not specified explicitly in the layout;
using the first keyboard device.

ERROR: Unable to write to directory '/etc/X11'.

Unknown id: Using
rcayea@randycomputer:~$ nvidia-xconfig

Using X configuration file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf".

WARNING: No Layout specified, constructing implicit layout section using screen "Default Screen".

WARNING: Unable to find CorePointer in X configuration; attempting to add new CorePointer section.

WARNING: The CorePointer device was not specified explicitly in the layout; using the first mouse device.

WARNING: Unable to find CoreKeyboard in X configuration; attempting to add new CoreKeyboard section.

WARNING: The CoreKeyboard device was not specified explicitly in the layout; using the first keyboard device.

ERROR: Unable to write to directory '/etc/X11'.

I appreciate any help.

thanks,
Randy

rcayea
May 8th, 2009, 02:16 PM
I fixed this by physically moving the .config, .gconf, and .gnome2 files from my user folder to a random folder in my Documents folder. After I rebooted my computer came back with a fresh desktop and a lot of settings are reset to default but I didn't lose any documents/data etc.

Does anyone know how to mark a thread as solved?

Thanks,
Randy

rykel
December 17th, 2009, 02:21 AM
I fixed this by physically moving the .config, .gconf, and .gnome2 files from my user folder to a random folder in my Documents folder. After I rebooted my computer came back with a fresh desktop and a lot of settings are reset to default but I didn't lose any documents/data etc.

Does anyone know how to mark a thread as solved?

Thanks,
Randy

Randy,

Thanks so much for your answer!

I have been plagued with the inability to restore my desktop to default for a while now too...

I have opened a Question on Launchpad for this very purpose, hopefully a helpful dev will be able to do something abt it! :P

https://answers.launchpad.net/gnome-desktop/+question/94324