PDA

View Full Version : How much ram does a blank X session use?

dragos240
May 7th, 2009, 11:41 PM
Just one that doesn't have anything, no GUI, no window manager, no desktop environment, not even a terminal emulator, just completely blank.

kk0sse54
May 8th, 2009, 12:44 AM
Very, very little, try it out yourself. I think last time I did it was around 12 MB although K. Mandla succeeded with a window manager to get 12 MB I think.

dragos240
May 8th, 2009, 12:49 AM
What would it be with fluxbox? Anyways, how can you have a blank one anyways? When I startx it displays my gnome setup. :\

kk0sse54
May 8th, 2009, 12:51 AM
What would it be with fluxbox? Anyways, how can you have a blank one anyways? When I startx it displays my gnome setup. :\

If you use GDM disable the daemon and then make sure your ~/.xinitrc is blank when typing startx

damis648
May 8th, 2009, 12:55 AM
As in enter a terminal (Ctrl+Alt+F1) and type in:

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
mv ~/.xinitrc .xinitrc.bak
X # or startx
and then when you are done:
m
v ~/.xinitrc.bak ~/.xinitrc

Daisuke_Aramaki
May 8th, 2009, 12:57 AM
i ran 19mb with evilwm on an old machine. it was a very minimal crux/lunar setup.

fluxbox is very easy on resources as well. but the memory footprint depends on so many other things, like how many daemons and supporting processes are running.

on a no X setup, which i still use quite often i hit 37-50 mb mostly, with framebuffer, dvtm running a few instances of vim, elinks, and mpd to give you an idea.

dragos240
May 8th, 2009, 12:57 AM
Ahh crud.

My home folder doesn't contain a .xinitrc, but it does contain a .bashrc. Is this for root?

kerry_s
May 8th, 2009, 01:02 AM
my laptops 21mb on boot with jwm on arch linux, no login manager, uses inittab to autologin and .bash_profile to auto startx.

RiceMonster
May 8th, 2009, 01:04 AM
Ahh crud.

My home folder doesn't contain a .xinitrc, but it does contain a .bashrc. Is this for root?

you can still run X without a .xinitrc. That file just tells X what to run when you start X. So if you don't have one, you'll launch a blank X session. You can create a .xinitrc yourself, as well. Also, .bashrc is your bash config file.

dragos240
May 8th, 2009, 01:07 AM