PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't get past first install screen

cancerous86
May 7th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Hello,

I am fairly new to ubuntu, have installed it several times in the past, never gotten too far into it before retreating to my comfy Windows.

I am now trying to do a permanent install (x86) so I will actually use Ubuntu regularly, but I cannot get past the first install screen.

Initially, I got to the partition manager, and told it to install next to my Windows 7 RC install, so I could use them both. (I'm installing Ubuntu to have a full, stable, OS). I could not see any of the buttons to proceed after this point, they all ran off my screen. (I was outputting DVI-HDMI to my 32in Vizio HDTV).

I unplugged the tv, to allow it to default to my monitor (19in ASUS widescreen), however, the screen just went black and no error messages popped up.

I restarted my computer (with the tv unplugged still), and got to the first Ubuntu screen, chose "Install Ubuntu", and the screen goes blank, with a horizontal cursor blinking in the top left corner. The disc drive spins up, but it's not being read (no light blinking), soon it stops spinning and just sits here at this screen. This happens with any option on the first install screen.

AMD Athlon 64x2 @2.83 Ghz
2.00 GB DDR2 RAM
160 GB SATA HDD - 2 partitions
NVIDIA NX8500GT-512mb
Primary OS (atm) - Windows 7 Build 7100

Thanks, in advance, for all your help!
-Cancer