PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Language selection not working properly

Koen De Voegt
May 7th, 2009, 10:06 PM
I'm running kubuntu 9.04 KDE is set to use Dutch, and most applications are in Dutch, but some major ones that I know have good translations are running in English. Firefox, Thunderbird, Pidgin, OpenOffice, ... So mostly or maybe all non KDE applications. I've had this problem since 8.10. I Have tried to look for more translations in the packet manager but didn't find anything. Anybody an idea on how to fix this?

Screwdriver0815
May 7th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Anybody an idea on how to fix this?
a simple but maybe rude suggestion would be: contribute to the project(s) and help the translators. Normally when there is no language package for an application, then it is not translated.

In our translation team (for Ubuntu) we have loads of work and when the new version is finished we always still have packages untranslated because we do it in our spare-time and don't work fulltime on the translations.

Poborskiii
May 8th, 2009, 06:13 PM
For complete Dutch localisation you need:
language-pack-nl
language-pack-gnome-nl
language-pack-kde-nl
language-support-nl

For Dutch translations of Gnome aplications you need package language-pack-gnome-nl, for Thunderbird and Openoffice package language-support-nl, for others (Fifefox, etc.) language-pack-nl

Koen De Voegt
June 7th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Thank you both for your reply.

@Screwdriver0815: Language support has always been one of the places where Linux outperformed Windows & MacOS. So for someone running the stable version all major software is normally translated right away.

@Poborskiii: From that list I was only missing language-pack-gnome-nl and I'm still not sure I need it.

There seems to be an inconsistency in Kubuntu. In System Settings > Regional & Language KDE and it's apps follow the settings in this window, while FF, TB, OOo and others follow the System Language setting. This last setting seems to remain English even when installing Kubuntu in Dutch. This is what had me confused. Is this something I should report as a bug? Where and How?