PDA

View Full Version : If OpenOffice.org 2.0 does not make Hoary, what will you do?

HiddenWolf
January 17th, 2005, 06:09 PM
I've just asked if we'll see OpenOffice.org 2 in Hoary, and as it stands right now, OpenOfiice might not get in.

Now, I know there are people here who consider OO.org such an important package that they'll consider moving to grumpy, the next development release, they'll use another distribution, or they'll go begging for backports.

I'd like to know what you would do.
For myself, OpenOffice is the app I do most of my work in, so I want it to run on a stable platform, what are your opinions?

jdong
January 17th, 2005, 06:14 PM
Oh, I WILL make a backport.

HiddenWolf
January 17th, 2005, 06:16 PM
Big effort, porting libs probably. That's a big chunk of code to chew.

jdong
January 17th, 2005, 07:02 PM
Yeah, but if it's for something as grand as OOo 2.0, with native widgets, vastly new features, improved formats, NEW OOO format, it's certainly well worth it.

nux
January 17th, 2005, 07:59 PM
Er...
get the Linux installer from OpenOffice.org and install it manually?

or have I missed the point here?

(I already got 1.9 running quite happily on Warty)

HiddenWolf
January 17th, 2005, 08:06 PM
Er...
get the Linux installer from OpenOffice.org and install it manually?

or have I missed the point here?

(I already got 1.9 running quite happily on Warty)
Hm, A lot of people don't like to install things outside of synaptic. :-)

nux
January 17th, 2005, 08:32 PM
Oh I see.

I have no problems with adding stuff from "outside".
Never really given it much thought to be honest. The extra
stuff I add is either .deb, a couple of alien'd rpm's and the rest is
compiled from source. I (as far as I can) trust the sources.

Hikaru79
January 18th, 2005, 03:36 AM
Assuming a backport came out quick enough, I'd go with that. If not, I'd use the Linux installer. It really is EXTREMELY simple to use (at least, for 1.1.3 it was), so I can't see even the n00best of the n00b having problems with it. Installing it manually should really be a poll option, at least.

Lovechild
January 18th, 2005, 03:59 AM
I will probably go with Grumpy under any circumstance - but if it doesn't make Hoary I will be disappointed, there should be amble time to move it in, and I know people will be willing to test it nicely for Hoary release.

matt
January 18th, 2005, 04:34 AM
I'd go with the backport, assuming it was backported (thanks in advance, jdong!) since I don't have the skills to do it myself.

jdong
January 18th, 2005, 04:40 AM
Assuming a backport came out quick enough, I'd go with that. If not, I'd use the Linux installer. It really is EXTREMELY simple to use (at least, for 1.1.3 it was), so I can't see even the n00best of the n00b having problems with it. Installing it manually should really be a poll option, at least.

That's fine. Except that every distro strays from the mainline, official packages. Gentoo, SuSE are what I consider to be HEAVY PATCHERS, while Debian, Slackware tend to stay closer to the real thing. It makes some distros (SuSE, Novell Desktop Linux) extremely well streamlined, while others (Slackware) require a bit more tweaking before your apps talk to each other.

It's ALWAYS better to have your Distribution's specific package, as they are all linked against different libraries!

daniels
January 18th, 2005, 05:00 AM
http://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/hoary-changes/2005-January/001756.html

nocturn
January 18th, 2005, 09:26 AM
Jdong, thank you!

What you do for the community is great. I really want to standardize on a stable version of an OS now (coming from Gentoo) but OO 2 is to good to miss out...

daniels
January 18th, 2005, 09:36 AM
(If you see the URL I posted, you'll note that it'll be in Hoary as soon as it builds and propagates; my local mirror is choking on the source tarball download at the moment.)

ralph_ubuntu
January 18th, 2005, 09:44 AM
http://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/hoary-changes/2005-January/001756.html
Yes!
Now that's great news.

poofyhairguy
January 18th, 2005, 09:48 AM
(If you see the URL I posted, you'll note that it'll be in Hoary as soon as it builds and propagates; my local mirror is choking on the source tarball download at the moment.)

sweet.