PDA

View Full Version : what python idle do you use under ubuntu?

wsonar
May 7th, 2009, 04:55 PM
the standard python IDLE seems real buggy is there a different one I should be using or what does everyone else use?

I've installed all the python ide's and tried them out but I like the way the idle works.

I'm using 2.5 because it had more stars than 2.6 under add/remove for whatever reason

on XP i'm running 2.6 which works how it should

Did they do something different on the linux version it looks like i'm running it through wine or something, it won't let me highlight text or click the cursor to a position and the window's are just slow moving them around the screen.

wsonar
May 7th, 2009, 05:57 PM
has anybody else experienced this I get the same results with the standard python idle on several box's

days_of_ruin
May 7th, 2009, 11:46 PM
Vim!

wsonar
May 7th, 2009, 11:56 PM
in a terminal if I type python it use's version 2.6

but I can't open a new window like the IDLE I like to be able to test out scripts with the run command that the idle offers

rogeriopvl
May 8th, 2009, 12:03 AM
in a terminal if I type python it use's version 2.6

but I can't open a new window like the IDLE I like to be able to test out scripts with the run command that the idle offers

I would say gedit (with the oblivion theme btw) :)

You don't need the idle. just open multiple terminal windows and test the scripts with the command "python myscript.py".

If you wish to use something more advanced, try Komodo out, it even compiles your code as you write, pointing out your syntax errors.

wsonar
May 8th, 2009, 12:20 AM
yea I like using gedit was even going to try to compile it for windows

I had been using gedit because the IDLE coloring is not good then I was opening them in the IDLE to run because I figured that would give me the best syntax error's for troubleshooting

guess I will just use the terminal and gedit

Thanks.

wsonar
May 8th, 2009, 12:22 AM
I don't want to sound retarded but does VIM do code coloring?

raptor2552
May 8th, 2009, 12:26 AM
Give Geany a try... small, fast, configurable, with syntax highlighter, and integrated terminal window.

May be found in Synaptic Package Manger

Can+~
May 8th, 2009, 12:29 AM
Eclipse with pydev.

wsonar
May 8th, 2009, 12:32 AM
Give Geany a try... small, fast, configurable, with syntax highlighter, and integrated terminal window.

May be found in Synaptic Package Manger

got it installed I like it

Anzan
May 8th, 2009, 12:38 AM
Gedit with all plugins enabled, python interpreter abd terminal tabbed in bottom pane, file browser to the left, the Oblivion theme.

dodle
May 8th, 2009, 12:47 AM
I use drpython:
- syntax hilighting
- integreated terminal

It's my favorite of all that I've tried out.

CatsRninja
May 8th, 2009, 03:34 AM
Eclipse with pydev.

Didnt know Eclipse worked with python.
Its my favorite when dealing with java.

tryed geaniy(?) hated it.

I use iddle that comes standart. im guessing its the 2.6 one.
Its a big buggy yes(the bugs only appear at full MOON!!! or when i got an important assigment to deliver), but gets the job done.

I agree perfectly that gedit works fine, i just dont like to type stuff in a shell to test things when i can just press F5.Seams only a wast of time.

DocForbin
May 8th, 2009, 04:30 AM
I use netbeans and geany.

Kilon
May 8th, 2009, 07:53 AM
ECLIPSE with PYDEV

IDLE 2.6

IPYTHON

rogeriopvl
May 8th, 2009, 09:37 AM
I don't want to sound retarded but does VIM do code coloring?

Yes it does, just add the line:

syntax on

in your ~/.vimrc and that's it :)

Bodsda
May 8th, 2009, 01:08 PM
VIM!

Set up your .vimrc like so

syntax enable
filetype indent on
set et
set sw=4
set smarttab
map <f2> :w\|!python %<cr>

The last line is probably the most useful part of my .vimrc, at allows me to run my program just by pressing F2!, tapping away in vim, esc > : > w > enter, F2 bam!

:)

Bodsda

Flimm
May 8th, 2009, 02:28 PM
I use SPE (apt://spe).

wsonar
May 8th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Didnt know Eclipse worked with python.
Its my favorite when dealing with java.

tryed geaniy(?) hated it.

I use iddle that comes standart. im guessing its the 2.6 one.
Its a big buggy yes(the bugs only appear at full MOON!!! or when i got an important assigment to deliver), but gets the job done.

I agree perfectly that gedit works fine, i just dont like to type stuff in a shell to test things when i can just press F5.Seams only a wast of time.

yea I had been getting used to ctrll s f5 but I hate the color's on the default idle

wsonar
May 8th, 2009, 04:34 PM
VIM!

Set up your .vimrc like so

syntax enable
filetype indent on
set et
set sw=4
set smarttab
map <f2> :w\|!python %<cr>

The last line is probably the most useful part of my .vimrc, at allows me to run my program just by pressing F2!, tapping away in vim, esc > : > w > enter, F2 bam!

:)

Bodsda

pretty interesting may have to investigate further

imdano
May 8th, 2009, 06:19 PM
I use vim or WingIDE, depending on the size of the project I'm working on. Vim can be a little confusing at first, wsonar, but if you stick with it and really learn how to use it you'll find it's very powerful.

thornmastr
May 8th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Wing Personal.A few dollars more but worth every penny.

Bruce Sherwood
June 19th, 2009, 10:12 PM
If you like IDLE, you might want VIDLE available at vpython.org. It's a recent version of IDLE done by David Scherer that corrects many of the more serious bugs in IDLE that had accumulated over the years (Scherer started the modern IDLE in the year 2000). There is a Google Summer of Code project being done by Guilherme Polo to fix a long list of bugs in Tk and IDLE, and he expects to fold the VIDLE improvements into the official IDLE. (And while you're at vpython.org, take a look at VPython, too -- it lets you add real-time 3D animations to Python programs with remarkably little effort. This too was a creation of Scherer's in 2000.)