PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] .rar 'archive type not supported' error in hardy

abhinav.p
May 7th, 2009, 02:27 PM
i downloaded a .rar file from the net which i was unable to extract as was stonewalled with the error "archive type not supported".i searched in this forum and found out that i had to do #apt-get install unrar,which i did.it now shows no error bit prompts for a password...what should i do?

Ms_Angel_D
May 7th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Search for rar in add/remove programs and install it ;).

Whoever created the rar file password protected it you'll need the password to open it.

matthewbpt
May 7th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Sounds to me like it's an encrypted rar file and you need the password to un-archive it, in which case you can't really do anything unless you find the password. Unless you're talking about the password prompt when installing unrar with 'sudo apt-get install unrar' ... in which case just type in your users password...

lovinglinux
May 7th, 2009, 08:00 PM
It seems that you downloaded the file from an untrusted source. There are a lot of scams out there, in which people upload password protected RARs of free content to file sharing services and charge for the password. There are even scams to sell uTorrent :)

neu2buntu
May 7th, 2009, 08:19 PM
have not tried this myself ,but in searching i found linux rar password cracker http://superb-east.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/rarcrack/rarcrack-0.2.tar.bz2

djdan2k8
January 31st, 2010, 10:58 PM
Sounds to me like it's an encrypted rar file and you need the password to un-archive it, in which case you can't really do anything unless you find the password. Unless you're talking about the password prompt when installing unrar with 'sudo apt-get install unrar' ... in which case just type in your users password...

Thanks for the sudo apt-get install unrar solved my problem ;)