PDA

View Full Version : 2 months Windows free

ade234uk
January 10th, 2006, 09:15 AM
Been using Ubuntu for 2 months now and still loving it. Got all my favourite programmes running through Crossover office which is cool. See no need at all to go back to Windows. My Digi camera works, my external hard drive and all my hardware is detected and working apart from one thing my Canon Canoscan FB620U.

I have also gone past caring about M$ threats and bad exposure they try to give Linux on a daily basis. They do this because they know they are up against it big time. Not only de we have Linux still ruling the server market it is now crossing over to the desktop slowly I know but most importantly it is maturing quicker than Microsoft can do things.

We also have Apple moving to Intel which is all good news for computing as far as I am concerned. M$ are cornered and are very concerned.

Linux is now speaking for itself, look at the people that are now using Ubuntu or other forms of Linux or at least trying.

Each Linux magazine that I buy another manufacturer is showing interest or is developing something new for Linux which is another good sign.

I have a wealth of free open source software I can use, I am always finding something new to install or use.

I have no viruses yet, and definately no Spyware. My machine is still running the same as when I first installed it. This would never happen in Windows. MY registry would have already been screwed. And the thing I like about it most, Windows will always need a registry and no matter what M$ do this will always be its downfall. Bad design from the start.

Looking forward to seeing KDE 4 as well even though I am a huge Gnome fan.

poofyhairguy
January 10th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Been using Ubuntu for 2 months now and still loving it. Got all my favourite programmes running through Crossover office which is cool. See no need at all to go back to Windows. My Digi camera works, my external hard drive and all my hardware is detected and working apart from one thing my Canon Canoscan FB620U.

Glad it fits your needs.

I use Crossover to get IE. Yes you can laugh at me. Its ok.

ctt1wbw
January 10th, 2006, 01:22 PM
:p :p :p :p :p ----> Poofy!!!

blueturtl
January 10th, 2006, 01:35 PM
I use Crossover to get IE.

:eek: I have to say that is bold. :D

Been using Ubuntu for 2 months

I too have been using nothing but Ubuntu for ~3 months and before that while I still had the option of dual boot I rarely ever did run Windows. In fact it's nice and relaxing to come home to a computer that works. :smile:

Everytime I speak to a relative they're fixing something or doing maintenance.

prizrak
January 10th, 2006, 01:53 PM
This sounds like an AA meeting :)

sonny
January 10th, 2006, 06:38 PM
Been using Ubuntu for 2 months now and still loving it. Got all my favourite programmes running through Crossover office which is cool. See no need at all to go back to Windows.

If you can't get any hardware or software for windows working in your Linux box (through Wine, Crossover, cedege, etc) I recommend Qemu, I don't need MS at home, but I like to test everything, and my girlfriend need some MS stuff because of her bank account, so I'm testing Qemu, I it hasn't dissapointed me so far, everything works as in windows (wich is not that good after all). I'm happy you can get along with Ubuntu. Cheers.

carlosqueso
January 10th, 2006, 07:26 PM
This sounds like an AA meeting :)

Hi, My name is Carlosqueso and I'm an Ubuntuholic! :-D

SteelValor
January 10th, 2006, 07:30 PM
Glad it fits your needs.

I use Crossover to get IE. Yes you can laugh at me. Its ok.

Say it ain't so Uncle Puffy!!

Use "IE Tab"

xequence
January 10th, 2006, 09:54 PM
We also have Apple moving to Intel which is all good news for computing as far as I am concerned. M$ are cornered and are very concerned.

Not to sound rude, but why is that good news for computing? They still wont let you (legally) put OSX on a normal non mac PC.

mstlyevil
January 10th, 2006, 10:03 PM
Not to sound rude, but why is that good news for computing? They still wont let you (legally) put OSX on a normal non mac PC.

Give it time. When they realise they are loosing revenue to all the hacked copies on the net they will cave and start offering it for regular PC's. All they have to do is not offer all the free software that comes included with a Mac to sweeten the pie for some one to consider buying a Mac instead. I think they are resisting right now because it is the only thing they have when they go completely x86 to keep people buying their computers.