PDA

View Full Version : Need help with XP (where to post this?)

skymera
May 7th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Hello all :)

( Not sure where to post this. I figured i'd post on Ubuntu since i'm at college and you guys are so helpful)

Anyway long sotry short.. (I'm supposed to be doing animation so i need to be quick :P)

Yesterday on XP, there was a driver update that was showing in DriverMax (I use it because i lose track since there's so many)
I installed the driver update but it seemed to totally stop anything USB working. My mouse, keyboard. Everything stopped.

Safe mode was as bad too :(

Without hesistation i popped in the XP disc i have and performed a "Repair Install". All went well :) My mouse was working fine and keyboard worked.

Restarted -> "Windows needs to be activated".
I have no choice, if i click no, i can't login. So i click yes and all that shows up is my custom background. XP sits there doing nothing.

I have a feeling it was because my XP disc was SP2. My install was SP3. doh.

So yesterday i found out that i could get around the "Activation" by booting safe mode console and typing "explorer" to get to the desktop.
I have a couple of theories:

1. I can try and install XP SP3 from safe mode. Is it possible? Then reboot and hopefully XP will wake up and activate! (for about the 50 zillionth time) =X

2. I can try and get cmd.exe to open when i'm at the standard XP Welcome screen. That way i can run "msoobe.exe /a" manually. But i can't seem to do this one.
I tried replacting utilman.exe with cmd.exe (renaming cmd.exe to utilman.exE). This way when i press winkey+U cmd.exe should open. But it doesn't.

big boo boo :(

I've Googled loads but can't seem to find any links that aren't blocked by the college.
Time to get out Firefox portable!

khelben1979
May 7th, 2009, 10:54 AM
I don't know myself what you should do, but I would like to recommend the WinMatrix Forums (http://www.winmatrix.com/forums/). If you register there, I think you will get help with your Windows problems in no time.

xpod
May 7th, 2009, 11:10 AM
How about making a new installation disk with SP3 slipstreamed (http://lifehacker.com/386526/slipstream-service-pack-3-into-your-windows-xp-installation-cd) into it?

skymera
May 7th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Checking out the links now :)

I didn't really want to install frshly as i have a LOT of games installed which i have to download all again (From Steam)

I'll try manually installing SP3 in safe mode, if that doesn't work... I guess it's a fresh install.
Or the bin.

pwnst*r
May 7th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Checking out the links now :)

I didn't really want to install frshly as i have a LOT of games installed which i have to download all again (From Steam)

I'll try manually installing SP3 in safe mode, if that doesn't work... I guess it's a fresh install.
Or the bin.

if you can at least get to the desktop, hop onto steam and use the back up tool. it'll save you a lot of download time after the reinstall of your OS.

SupaSonic
May 7th, 2009, 01:30 PM
I miss Other OS talk. The cafe reads like a windows support forum what with RC coming out and all. Bleh.

Therion
May 7th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Wowee... That IS a pickle!!

This is one of THE BEST general tech tupport forums I've ever found. If you can't find the help you need here...

May gawd have mercy on your soul!

Tech Support Guy forums (aka Help on the Net): http://forums.techguy.org/