PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Universal Chat HUD

ooZAFLE
May 7th, 2009, 08:58 AM
I was thinking that It would be really nice to have a Heads up display for messaging similar to how FPS games have the console. I would want this to work like a wrapper for pidgin, facebook, twitter and anything else. With it you could switch between your chats and updating your status on a social site.

Ideally this panel would drop down like a FPS console and would work no matter what you were doing on your computer. This includes if you are in game or not. It Should feel like the drop down menu on an Xbox360 or a ps3. The HUD would most likely work with compiz and run on a layer similar to the "widget layer" currently used for screenlets. I would like to have one key assigned for this command like F9 for the widgets.

I was inspired by the opendesktop social program (http://dot.kde.org/2009/05/01/social-desktop-starts-arrive) for KDE that is being developed. A lot of those features could be adopted into this idea.

I could see this fitting in with the ideas for gnome3 (shell, zeitgeist).

I'm not a developer so I'm not sure how difficult a project like this would be but I wanted to get the idea out there for anyone who is interested to play around with.

I have included a mock-up to give a better idea of what I'm talking about. I would like to develop this idea further, please let me know what you think or if you have any ideas.

mcduck
May 7th, 2009, 09:06 AM
There are couple of dropdown terminals available, and Pidgin has a command-line version, Finch. Combine the two and you get a dropdown terminal with all the instant messaging features Pidgin has.. :)