PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] booting liveCD with a twist, URGEND

Promethalus
May 7th, 2009, 08:46 AM
I`m a semi-ubuntu-noob, even more, used it for a year something, but I always had problems getting ubuntu liveCD`s to work. Yes, I`ve changed boot orders, but still, it puzzles me that fedora and openSUSE liveCD`s boot, but Ubuntu liveCD`s wont.
Now, my current Ubuntu install died on me, so I wanted to resque some of them files using a new Ubuntu 9.04 liveCD, but that ain`t gonna go down when it just won`t boot.
Now, when I browse the files on the CD in windows, I come agross a option that basiccaly add a option to the windows boot screen witch redirects to the liveCD. Used this option for my previouw install. But, it says, already installed, need removal and then install again. So I remove, then try to reinstall. But, it gives me an error message, stating that some file is still there, I assume that part wasn`t reinstalled, and tells me de remove it first and then try and install again. So guys, I`m really stuck here, I`ve got project for school on me ubuntu, mail, music, and the liveCD won`t boot.

plz, I beg you, as a fellow ubuntu user, help me!!!!

HyRax
May 7th, 2009, 09:50 AM
You've lost me.

Are you trying install Ubuntu as an application within Windows (as per the Wubi installer)? Or are you trying to boot your PC from the LiveCD to do a proper native install to either replace Windows or dual-boot alongside it?

Promethalus
May 8th, 2009, 02:28 PM
proper ubuntu install for dual boot. Trying to install via a liveCD that just won`t boot. It`ll boot fedora and openSUSE liveCD`s, not ubuntu livecd.

Trigsu
May 8th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Bad coffee? You have right version of the cd?

Promethalus
May 9th, 2009, 02:29 PM
offcourse I`ve got the right one, got it from theire own site, unzipped, and burned it on cd, but it won`t function. And since their aplication for unsuring that it will boot won`t install . . .
I`m kinda f*ck*d

Promethalus
May 9th, 2009, 02:37 PM
the ubuntu CD Boot helper says upon installation :could not retrieve the required installation files.
And everytime I try and install it again, it says a previous install was detected, but I am slightly puzzled by this, since installing it, failes everytime.
Any suggestions?

HyRax
May 9th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Not every PC works properly with the LiveCD. In such cases, download the Alternate Install CD which will install Ubuntu via the more traditional (and faster) text-mode console. This works every time.

Promethalus
May 11th, 2009, 02:30 PM
got it, and it worked, thx mate, just the hint I needed :D