PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Evolution, Gnome & Ubuntu

Gorlist
May 7th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Good day, slightly concerned in regards to Ubuntu and Evolution - theirs no warning that if you completely remove all of the Evolution packages from the package manager, it also remove gnome-panels, with the end result of booting into an empty gnome environment.

Its not easy to fix either, because just reinstalling gnome-panels via the command line doesn't always work.

Why is Evolution so highly integrated? the software itself, though a complete package is very unreliable, often seeming to scum to sync errors and other glitches - and I certainly wouldn't recommend it for general use, specially if the user is new to Linux.

The interface is complex, clunky and slow, and many of its "selling" features im sure are now already supported in other applets & software.

Im not anti Evolution, far from it, as we've been using it in the office over the last few years, however im concerned it doesn't live upto the bill of Ubuntu, and perhaps the time has come for it to be removed and swapped for another alternative package as standard? for example Thunderbird2.

Going to run a poll just out of interest.

Best Regards,

glotz
May 7th, 2009, 08:33 AM
I never used Evolution so I don't have an opinion.

When I try to remove it though in Synaptic, I'm properly warned:
http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/6788/screenshotsynaptic.png

Gorlist
May 7th, 2009, 08:38 AM
I never used Evolution so I don't have an opinion.

When I try to remove it though in Synaptic, I'm properly warned:

I can safely say that was user error on my behalf :) however easily made - and many others have done so. Again why is Evolution tied into the Gnome-panel and applets, surely it could remove only its own deamons?

glotz
May 7th, 2009, 08:53 AM
I've been told the clock applet uses calendar provided by Evolution.

vegetarianshrimp
June 2nd, 2009, 03:36 AM
I don't think there should be any email client installed by default.