PDA

View Full Version : What are you going to do with Windows 7 RC?

lovinglinux
May 7th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Now that you have already installed Windows 7 RC, what are you going to do with it?

Tipped OuT
May 7th, 2009, 07:54 AM
I'm going to delete it from my partition and install Ubuntu! :P

glotz
May 7th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Now that you have already installed Windows 7 RC, what are you going to do with it?

Have you already stopped beating your wife?

Sashin
May 7th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Use it to benchmark the performance of Virtual box on a 64 bit host.

fatality_uk
May 7th, 2009, 09:42 AM
I am going to test the backside off it over the next year and make sure that all the applications that we need to run on it work.

Tipped OuT
May 7th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Have you already stopped beating your wife?

:lolflag:

dragos240
May 7th, 2009, 09:57 PM
I'm going to do media related things with it, sony vegas cant be beat yet, and KINK is way to early in development to do literally anything.

kelvin spratt
May 7th, 2009, 10:35 PM
its just not for me, but I do think its Ms best effort to date. but its still the same old windows
with the same problems. I've used it since the 1st beta release and it does not live up to all the hype its still a magnet for malware

Ptero-4
June 4th, 2009, 03:20 AM
Haven't even installed it (I'm thinking about whether to put the iso in the external HD or just delete it).

racerraul
June 4th, 2009, 04:31 AM
I burned it to CD and now I have this really cool drink coaster...
But in typical Windows manner, its not all that good at that either as condensation seeps through it like its malware and viruses.

So even as a drink coaster you need yet another layer of protection for your "desk top". (pun intended)

:p

Thx I'll be here all week

PhoHammer
June 4th, 2009, 04:45 AM
I burned it to CD and now I have this really cool drink coaster...
But in typical Windows manner, its not all that good at that either as condensation seeps through it like its malware and viruses.

So even as a drink coaster you need yet another layer of protection for your "desk top". (pun intended)

:p

Thx I'll be here all week

overreaching, but enjoyable.

lisati
June 4th, 2009, 04:50 AM
I voted "other" - I don't actually have a copy of Windows 7 in any of its incarnations yet, so it will be "undecided" for the moment.

Skripka
June 4th, 2009, 04:54 AM
It has replaced my XP install. The main thing keeping me from liking it is the complete absence of virtual desktops.

H2SO_four
June 4th, 2009, 04:54 AM
Burnt onto disk, may re-install it again sometime.

jomiolto
June 4th, 2009, 05:39 AM
I have not tried it nor am I going to. I'm just going to ignore it and hope it goes away ;)

lovinglinux
June 4th, 2009, 05:51 AM
I have not tried it nor am I going to. I'm just going to ignore it and hope it goes away ;)

listener
June 4th, 2009, 05:57 AM
Downloaded it. Burned to CD. Began
installation, read eula. Hit eject.
Repaired boot sector on hard drive
which wasn't even the one I was
installing to nor drive zero. Back
home.

WIndows is kind of like Oz, tempting
to visit but just makes you want to
come home.

lovinglinux
June 4th, 2009, 05:59 AM
WIndows is kind of like Oz, tempting
to visit but just makes you want to
come home.

CJ Master
June 4th, 2009, 06:01 AM
Burn it in a fire. :p

Aha, seriously though, I liked it, but found that I didn't really have a use for it so I uninstalled it.

nmccrina
June 4th, 2009, 06:08 AM
Other

I haven't installed it. Will try to stay as far away from it as possible.

There's no place like ~/ :D
Got to keep the Oz references going...

MikeTheC
June 4th, 2009, 07:29 AM
I'd thought about tacking it to my wall and putting a bullet hole through it. However, there are four possible counter-indications to that activity:

There's already a hole in the middle of the disc, so a second one would be redundant;
Shooting at an object affixed to the wall would inherently include damaging the wall, and I don't care what else may be true, Windows 7 isn't worth that;
Even though the outer wall itself is composed of concrete block, there is at least a chance the bullet could penetrate all the way through and either cause further damage, or possibly injure someone, and I'll not have that;
Discharging a firearm within the city limits is against local ordinances (obviously self-defense would be a different story), and one can hardly argue that I'm defending myself against Microsoft by shooting a self-burned ISO of their OS product's Release Candidate.
So, as you can no doubt tell, I, too, am willing to entertain other suggestions.

racerraul
June 4th, 2009, 09:46 AM
overreaching, but enjoyable.

Haha... I know...
I haven't tried it yet,,, but I will soon. It's bound to be inevitable supporting windows servers for a living.

As much fun as I am having with Ubuntu now... who knows I may like and use Win7 in the future.

Provided I can get my dirty hands on the co's MSDN library and I get a legal copy at not cost to test...

Muahahahahahahaahhahaa... eeerr... ahem. I wouldn't really do that :^o

zekopeko
June 4th, 2009, 09:55 AM
...post in this thread from it about posting in this thread on it...

LoloftheRings
June 4th, 2009, 12:19 PM
I threw the dvd out of the WINDOW and reinstalled winxp and restored grub to dual boot :D

Eisenwinter
June 4th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Nothing. Never even used Windows 7.

evermooingcow
June 4th, 2009, 12:38 PM
I'd thought about tacking it to my wall and putting a bullet hole through it. However, there are four possible counter-indications to that activity:

There's already a hole in the middle of the disc, so a second one would be redundant;
Shooting at an object affixed to the wall would inherently include damaging the wall, and I don't care what else may be true, Windows 7 isn't worth that;
Even though the outer wall itself is composed of concrete block, there is at least a chance the bullet could penetrate all the way through and either cause further damage, or possibly injure someone, and I'll not have that;
Discharging a firearm within the city limits is against local ordinances (obviously self-defense would be a different story), and one can hardly argue that I'm defending myself against Microsoft by shooting a self-burned ISO of their OS product's Release Candidate.

So, as you can no doubt tell, I, too, am willing to entertain other suggestions.
More importantly it doesn't take a bullet hole in the disc to make it not work.

Jokes aside I got my friend to download the RC, burn to a DVD and install on his machine replacing Vista. Everything works as before except now the PC is not able to shutdown properly. It always hangs at the shutdown screen for a few minutes and BSODs. He doesn't care though. He just holds the power button to force shutdown everytime now.

I wasn't very impressed..

pbrane
June 4th, 2009, 12:53 PM
I haven't used a Windows OS since 1998. Not personally anyway. I'm forced to use the worst OS on the planet at work though. So I guess I'm not going to do anything with Windows 7. Whenever I buy a new laptop I boot fron the DVD/CD drive and install Ubuntu. I don't even run or register Windows on any new PC|laptop I buy.

SupaSonic
June 4th, 2009, 02:10 PM
The tags to this thread summarize it nicely i think

pwnst*r
June 4th, 2009, 02:17 PM
yeah, i figured it needed an update.

WatchingThePain
June 4th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Do you really want to know?
Muwahaha.
"Death of a thousand cuts."
Their skills are weak, no match for the GnuFu Shaolin style.

gjoellee
June 4th, 2009, 02:47 PM
I am using Windows 7 right now, and I must say that Microsft finally did something good:

It is faster then XP and Vista and Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Edubuntu, Linux Mint... (the boot time isa little longer then in Ubuntu..., but when fully running it is faster)
Aimated boot screen
The new superbar is excellent!
If you don't find any software for Windows 7, you can in most cases install sotware designed for Vista
Lot's of other enhancements

ukripper
June 4th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Not sure if these are correct benchmarks, but anyway take a look -
http://www.tuxradar.com/content/benchmarked-ubuntu-vs-vista-vs-windows-7

Fzang
June 4th, 2009, 03:00 PM
I use windows 7 for working and school (because it can do sleep on my laptop)

Else I use ubuntu to play around with :D

MasterNetra
June 4th, 2009, 03:14 PM
I didn't install it! Instead If i was to get one I'd probably use it as a Frisbee! :p a $200+ Frisbee XD

lovinglinux
June 4th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Not sure if these are correct benchmarks, but anyway take a look -
http://www.tuxradar.com/content/benchmarked-ubuntu-vs-vista-vs-windows-7

Very interesting.

dca
June 4th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Well, if you work in IT, you better start beta testing it because it's what your employer is probably going to be running in the near future...

Stenrad
June 4th, 2009, 08:04 PM
We tried to install it on a friends pc. It booted up and when it tried to load the first install screen it gave us a nice Bsod! We tried again and it did exactly the same..... You could have heard us laughing halfway to Australia. :lolflag:

dragos240
June 4th, 2009, 08:06 PM
I'll use it for vegas and paint.net

markharding557
June 5th, 2009, 11:49 PM
i will wipe my ar** on it

pwnst*r
June 5th, 2009, 11:57 PM
We tried to install it on a friends pc. It booted up and when it tried to load the first install screen it gave us a nice Bsod! We tried again and it did exactly the same..... You could have heard us laughing halfway to Australia. :lolflag:

hardware.

bakedbeans4life
June 6th, 2009, 12:17 AM
Give it a spin, then replace it with XP SP3. If I need Windows (much to my chagrin), XP SP3 (slipstreamed) fulfills my Windows only needs.

The only major selling point of Windows 7 is that it is not Vista, even though 99.99% of the code will be the same. You have to hand it to Microsoft, they could sell Vodka to the Russians.

Skripka
June 6th, 2009, 12:31 AM
Give it a spin, then replace it with XP SP3. If I need Windows (much to my chagrin), XP SP3 (slipstreamed) fulfills my Windows only needs.

The only major selling point of Windows 7 is that it is not Vista, even though 99.99% of the code will be the same. You have to hand it to Microsoft, they could sell Vodka to the Russians.

Try it before you write it off in such a rash assertion in posting.

sandyd
June 6th, 2009, 12:42 AM
I haven't used a Windows OS since 1998. Not personally anyway. I'm forced to use the worst OS on the planet at work though. So I guess I'm not going to do anything with Windows 7. Whenever I buy a new laptop I boot fron the DVD/CD drive and install Ubuntu. I don't even run or register Windows on any new PC|laptop I buy.
make sure you do this!!
http://www.linux.com/archive/articles/59381

bakedbeans4life
June 6th, 2009, 12:49 AM
Try it before you write it off in such a rash assertion in posting.

I do have access to many of the later builds of Windows 7, I have installed most of them clean and on supposed compatible hardware. All drivers are provided either beta (Windows 7 is beta afterall) or via Vista where a specific beta driver for Windows 7 was unavailable.