PDA

View Full Version : Which Dells are good?

emeraldgirl08
May 7th, 2009, 06:49 AM
Hi. I have an older brother who is intent on getting a Dell laptop. He is on a budget of $200 dollars maximum for one.

He doesn't game. Uses social sites like mad. Isn't too concerned with a huge HD. Wants one with a decent processor.

We're looking through fleabay now and he wants to get one soon!

So I need a recommendation as to the model etc etc. He isn't a linux user so it's going to have to be able to do M$.

bashveank
May 7th, 2009, 06:52 AM
For $200 you're better off buying a note pad and pen, and putting the rest into a larger "laptop savings fund"

CJ Master
May 7th, 2009, 06:54 AM
Short answer: None. I've had nothing but bad dealings with Dell.

I'd recomend he saves $100 and gets a netbook.

emeraldgirl08
May 7th, 2009, 06:55 AM
lol

He's very insistent on getting anything Dell that will get him online and be portable.

I wouldn't knock the amount of money. I got me a laptop for cheap and it's running my distros very well :)

myusername
May 7th, 2009, 06:58 AM
netbook would be best. if he wants a dell get him the dell mini 9.

emeraldgirl08
May 7th, 2009, 07:09 AM
He doesn't want a tiny screen. He's looking at a 15" screen.

I just got home from work and I'm tired. I'm going to bookmark a couple of them and he can pick from em.'

I can't change his mind about Dell so it's what he'll be getting. As far as I can see he'll have to settle for an older comp w/ a P4 or PM processor, 30-40 gb of storage, xp pro, and wireless b/g for his price range. I pretty much know what he's looking for in a laptop I'm just not familiar with Dell Laptops and it's reputation for them.

I've done the fleabay bidding and it was slow and was much like watching paint dry. You get close to winning something and then someone outbids you!

bashveank
May 7th, 2009, 07:16 AM
He doesn't want a tiny screen. He's looking at a 15" screen.

I just got home from work and I'm tired. I'm going to bookmark a couple of them and he can pick from em.'

I can't change his mind about Dell so it's what he'll be getting. As far as I can see he'll have to settle for an older comp w/ a P4 or PM processor, 30-40 gb of storage, xp pro, and wireless b/g for his price range. I pretty much know what he's looking for in a laptop I'm just not familiar with Dell Laptops and it's reputation for them.

I've done the fleabay bidding and it was slow and was much like watching paint dry. You get close to winning something and then someone outbids you!

You realize this'll be a 15 pound laptop with a body that creaks when you touch it and a screen that falls down spontaneously?

Seriously, working just a few weeks at a minimum wage job could double his budget, which would do miles for his satisfaction with the laptop he chooses to purchase.

emeraldgirl08
May 7th, 2009, 07:21 AM
lol true. However I'm not his mother so I don't have any control over the circumstances of his employment. I'm just doing him a favor by narrowing a search for a cheap laptop. If Dell sucks that bad then I guess he'll find out the hard way.

Alright I'm off to bed. It's late and I've bookmarked a few that are geared toward what he is looking for. thanks guys.