PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Is it best to install Win XP and Ubuntu on same partition or 2 partitions

camino3701
May 7th, 2009, 05:59 AM
I intend to try and install Win XP and Ubuntu on the same computer hard drive. Should I install them both on the same partition or partition the hard drive which I've never done. the hard drive is 300gig in desk top. Any advice will be appreciated.
Thank You,
RLB

Partyboi2
May 7th, 2009, 06:37 AM
For better performance installing Ubuntu to its own partitions would be the way to go. But if you do not feel comfortable installing Ubuntu to its own partitions then use wubi to install ubuntu on the same partition as windows.

Mark Phelps
May 7th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Understand that when you install MS Windows and Ubuntu to the same partition, you are basically installing Ubuntu inside windows as an application. It's not really a separate installation. So, there will be some performance hit from doing this.

zero7404
May 7th, 2009, 02:31 PM
not sure what tools are available to u for shrinking your XP partition, but i'd highly recommend you shrink the partition down by at least 10 GB for installing ubuntu.

i have a 320GB hdd that i split in the middle between vista and ubuntu...150GB for each OS.

best way is to leave the space as unallocated, then do a manual create of the partition when installing ubuntu. also keep in mind you'll need to create a swap partition, about 1-2GB for ubuntu.

<although i have never seen my installation make use of it, ppl say it is needed>

camino3701
May 8th, 2009, 04:33 AM
Thank for the advice. What and how is the best way to create 2 partitions? One for XP and one for Ubuntu.

RLB

HyRax
May 8th, 2009, 04:51 AM
The Ubuntu installer will shrink the XP partition for you. By default it will split your hard-drive in two (assuming there's anough space to do that).

elliotn
May 8th, 2009, 04:58 AM
Partition the drive or give ubuntu 5gb if u are not used to it, but if ur comfortable with ubuntu thex give a big partition

gta117
May 8th, 2009, 05:02 AM
Partition the drive or give ubuntu 5gb if u are not used to it, but if ur comfortable with ubuntu thex give a big partition

Thats what I did. I gave ubuntu 120 gigs out of 160. 20-30 of that is for windows. the rest I do not know what happened to it. Something is wrong. I already posted it in another thread. Its right at the top, trying to install windows for duel boot.

As for the part: if you are going to use ubuntu for everything but a few apps and games, give it the main booty.

-gta117

camino3701
May 8th, 2009, 05:09 AM
Thank you all
RLB

zero7404
May 8th, 2009, 06:36 AM
Thats what I did. I gave ubuntu 120 gigs out of 160. 20-30 of that is for windows. the rest I do not know what happened to it. Something is wrong. I already posted it in another thread. Its right at the top, trying to install windows for duel boot.

As for the part: if you are going to use ubuntu for everything but a few apps and games, give it the main booty.

-gta117

have you looked in administrative tasks->disk management in windows to see what is allocated and what is not ?
you can also see unallocated space in gparted (system->administration->partition editor).... you can choose the disk if you have more than 1 in gparted, it's selectable in the upper right hand part of the window....