PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phone Contracts.

Roasted
May 7th, 2009, 05:00 AM
I'm stuck.

I've had ATT since I was 16 and I am now 23. Never had a problem with them that they didn't immediately fix. I get signal everywhere, even when I drive up and down the east coast on vacation in the summer.

Thing is, I HATE contracts. I absolutely despise them. But ultimately, I can't imagine myself going with anybody else because of ATT's rollover feature. I have like 2,200 rollover minutes I'm sitting on, so it's a nice cushion when I'm yacking away with an old friend unexpectedly.

ATT came out with this phone. And, uh... I really want it. :) It's 300 no contract, or 150 + 50 MIR (ultimately 100 flat) on the web site with a 2 year contract.

What would you do? What are your thoughts?

The only solid advantage I can see with having my line under contract is the warranty exchange. My buddy (Verizon customer) had an issue with his phone, walked in, explained his story, walked out with a brand new (but same model) phone. I hear ATT does the same thing. This would at least be some comfort to having a contract you're bound to.

What do you guys think?

cariboo
May 7th, 2009, 05:26 AM
My cell phones always seem to die about three months after the warranty runs out. I usually re-up to get a new free phone.

Icehuck
May 7th, 2009, 05:33 AM
I'm stuck.

I've had ATT since I was 16 and I am now 23. Never had a problem with them that they didn't immediately fix. I get signal everywhere, even when I drive up and down the east coast on vacation in the summer.

Thing is, I HATE contracts. I absolutely despise them. But ultimately, I can't imagine myself going with anybody else because of ATT's rollover feature. I have like 2,200 rollover minutes I'm sitting on, so it's a nice cushion when I'm yacking away with an old friend unexpectedly.

ATT came out with this phone. And, uh... I really want it. :) It's 300 no contract, or 150 + 50 MIR (ultimately 100 flat) on the web site with a 2 year contract.

What would you do? What are your thoughts?

The only solid advantage I can see with having my line under contract is the warranty exchange. My buddy (Verizon customer) had an issue with his phone, walked in, explained his story, walked out with a brand new (but same model) phone. I hear ATT does the same thing. This would at least be some comfort to having a contract you're bound to.

What do you guys think?

It's a cell phone contract. It's no big deal and it's cheaper to break a contract early then to keep it for the next couple months. You already have AT&T, so what's the big deal with having a new contract? Plus, since you've been an AT&T customer for 7 years, make them discount the phone more or you leave their service. I got my blackberry for $50 dollars when it was going for $150 with contract.

Roasted
May 7th, 2009, 05:38 AM
It's a cell phone contract. It's no big deal and it's cheaper to break a contract early then to keep it for the next couple months. You already have AT&T, so what's the big deal with having a new contract? Plus, since you've been an AT&T customer for 7 years, make them discount the phone more or you leave their service. I got my blackberry for $50 dollars when it was going for $150 with contract.

Yeah - I was thinking about playing that card. The big thing is, I just don't want to deal with mail in rebates. The phone I want is 100 after a 50 dollar MIR - If I can just get the MIR waived I'd consider hitting buy it now.

It's weird, I don't know... I can't explain it. I can't imagine going to another carrier, yet I just hate being under contract. However ATT has always done a good job and I've never had an issue with them. I only had 1 issue with them when the Cingular/ATT merger went down, and I played the "Uh, no, I'm under contract - as long as I'm paying x-amount of dollars a month, I'll get x-amount of service" and my problem was fixed pronto.

pwnst*r
May 7th, 2009, 05:46 AM
life is full of contracts, get used to it ;)

Roasted
May 7th, 2009, 05:50 AM
life is full of contracts, get used to it ;)

Yeah, but when I have the opportunity to make a decision on one, I want to think it through first. :)

Icehuck
May 7th, 2009, 05:53 AM
Yeah, but when I have the opportunity to make a decision on one, I want to think it through first. :)

I can understand thinking about it when signing a contract for work or when you sign the contract for a mortgage. However, there is not much to think through for a cell phone.

MikeTheC
May 7th, 2009, 06:40 AM
Yeah, my contracts only cost you $50. It's a new, uniform rate as the old system had differential pricing and, well, it was a mess.

So, you want me to see something? $50. You want me not to see something? $50. Want me to lean on pwnst*r? $50 (plus $50 for the AD&D insurance I might need.) ;)

As I say, I try to keep it simple.