PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Version confusion

bobmac
May 7th, 2009, 03:11 AM
Folks,

My confusion is the following; any help, explantion or otherwise will be gratefully received.

I've been trotting along with v 8.04 LTS, installing all the latest updates. I happened to be looking at the download page and noticed that the latest version is 9.04.

I then had a look at the how to upgrade for the new version and found out that you must have v8.10 loaded before you can go to v9.04.

As I have v8.04 LTS, I of course didn't get notification of the new version.

What I'm confused about is from what I remember about the info that came out about v8.04 LTS I wouldn't need to upgrade until much later. However, it would seem that if I wait I'll need to upgrade through a heap of versions to get what will then be the latest version.

What I really want to do is download and update using the alternate disk, in my case it would appear to be ubuntu-8.10-alternate-amd64.iso so that I can then download the v9.04 version and thus have the latest version.

Regards,

Bob

Partyboi2
May 7th, 2009, 03:20 AM
Long term support releases of Ubuntu can upgrade straight to the next long term support version when they come out without having to upgrade to the in between releases. So if you wanted to keep using Hardy you would not need to upgrade to the next LTS till 2010.

bobmac
May 7th, 2009, 03:29 AM
Many thanks for the LTS info.

Just as an aside, have you any idea if it's better to stay with v8.04 or upgrade to each new version. I assume that the new versions will have more bells and whistles and so on.

Also, have you any idea where I can find step by step installation info for the alternate disk installation

Regards,

Bob

chicoharv
May 7th, 2009, 04:42 AM
I had hardy on my PC's and upgraded them all, very happily. I now have wireless capability on my Acer laptop with Vista also.You need to upgrade first to the next issue then after that upgrade to the latest. Just go to system,administration and then upgrade, it should take care of everything.