PDA

View Full Version : What if I don't post?

SamH
January 10th, 2006, 05:58 AM
Hello SamH it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums.

What if I don't post, ask a question, etc. Do I lose my Ubuntu decoder ring and membership card? ;)

Seriously, I don't post much. My questions can usually be found by searching the forum. I don't often have the answer to someone else's question before someone much more experienced than I has already handled it.

So, why should I be pressed to post just for the sake of posting?

Like I'm doing now.

neoflight
January 10th, 2006, 06:01 AM
thas what i thot too...but its nice to be in touch with people here..;)

Arktis
January 10th, 2006, 06:16 AM
:shock:

JOIN US!
Joooooooooooin uuuuuuuuussssssss!

Post....
POST!

aysiu
January 10th, 2006, 06:18 AM
What are you quoting?

chimera
January 10th, 2006, 06:26 AM
The mail you get from this forum if you don't start spamming immediatelly after you register? :lol:

bored2k
January 10th, 2006, 06:29 AM
The mail you get from this forum if you don't start spamming immediatelly after you register? :lol:
Did not even know such thing existed.

aysiu
January 10th, 2006, 06:30 AM
The mail you get from this forum if you don't start spamming immediatelly after you register? :lol: That's just wrong. Are you serious?

byen
January 10th, 2006, 07:18 AM
Whoa.. I was away from the forums...for about 2 months last summer when i was on my trip...I never got any mail..
May be its a new thing they are trying....well..that reminds me..we do get a lot of new users posting a "Hi" cuz they said they got a mail asking them to post something to keep their id....

vayu
January 10th, 2006, 09:03 AM

So you don't have to read that message.

krusbjorn
January 10th, 2006, 09:29 AM
I dont get any mail. To me, the messages looks like this (this means im getting rid of it! yaay!):

-Rick-
January 10th, 2006, 11:04 AM
I assume there is something similar for people who just joined? I mean there must be a reason why there are so many people saying "Hello I'm new to the forums" the last time ;)

gord
January 10th, 2006, 11:07 AM
there isn't any mail you get sent after being away for a while, that message just appears at the top of the page until you post, i was away for the holidays and the same thing happened to me, its a nice touch, comunitys are fun, not a comunity if no one posts ;)

zenwhen
January 10th, 2006, 01:20 PM
Jeeze. It is just welcoming people who might not otherwise step up and make a post to participate here. Some people are shy.

ctt1wbw
January 10th, 2006, 01:23 PM
What if I don't post, ask a question, etc. Do I lose my Ubuntu decoder ring and membership card? ;)

You will be forced to wear women's underpants and write bad checks and drink Pabst Blue Ribbon for breakfast!!!!!!

Perfect Storm
January 10th, 2006, 01:32 PM
What ctt1wbw says. :cool:

SamH
January 10th, 2006, 03:05 PM
You will be forced to wear women's underpants and write bad checks and drink Pabst Blue Ribbon for breakfast!!!!!!

Actually, the PBR for breakfast sounds pretty good. :cool:

ctt1wbw
January 10th, 2006, 03:12 PM
Oh you sicko!!! You drink that stuff? How about some Budwieser for breakfast? Ice cold with little beads of moisture going down the side... yum!!!!! :razz:

harisund
January 10th, 2006, 03:49 PM
To be frank, this whole issue of posting has always surprised me, and actually it has restored my faith in humanity..

A simple explanation, I started out with the typical "Hi, I am new to Ubuntu, and so how do I ... " stuff. . and now, as you can see I have around 150+ posts and ever increases, and these days I answer more questions than I ask (though I do ask from time to time and get some terrific responses.)

In retrospect, why do people enjoy helping out others? Is it because they have been helped more than once?

I am sure the admins / moderators around here will know, there are lots and lots of people who peep their heads in here and say the standard newbie dialog (the one I mentioned earlier) and ask for something, and then simply vanish without a trace. As an example, just take your Absolute Beginner's forum, and look at the first few posts. Almost all of them would have been made by people with less than 5 posts, and replied by people "dipped in UBuntu" and beyond ..

I believe this is why the forums send an email that says "You haven't posted in a while." After all isn't that what society is all about? I work as tech support, and assist people with problems in Windows, because of obvious reasons. Wherever you are, you are bound to meet someone skilled enough with Windows to handle it for you (the teen next door, perhaps?). But who do you turn to when your Linux doesn't behave? (Rather, when you are unable to get your Linux to behave, why blame Linux for something you cant do)

But anyway, I believe the forums are doing a wonderful job. Kudos !

SamH
January 10th, 2006, 04:09 PM
Perhaps I have given the wrong impression here. I have answered questions when I can and will do so gladly in the future.

The message appearing at the top of the Ubuntu forums when I haven't posted in a while is a little irritating. When I feel like posting, I post. Why should this busy body, automated message appear urging me to post when I don't feel I have something meaningful to say. Posting for the sake of posting does not appeal to me.

sapo
January 10th, 2006, 04:14 PM

Seriously, I don't post much. My questions can usually be found by searching the forum. I don't often have the answer to someone else's question before someone much more experienced than I has already handled it.

Like I'm doing now.
For the flood's sake :)

earobinson
January 10th, 2006, 04:21 PM
Im not a fan of this msg and it can encourage people to post for no good reason. I can understand a welcome message but after you have been around for a month or 2 you should no longer get this msg.

But this really is not a big deal.

TeeAhr1
January 10th, 2006, 07:30 PM
PBR for breakfast? I'm there!

SamH
January 10th, 2006, 08:08 PM
Oh you sicko!!! You drink that stuff? How about some Budwieser for breakfast? Ice cold with little beads of moisture going down the side... yum!!!!! :razz:

Actually, my favorite beer is Sale beer. You know. You walk in the store and look to see which beer is on SALE! ;)

carlosqueso
January 10th, 2006, 08:41 PM
PBR for breakfast? I'm there!

Naw...if you're gonna drink beer for breakfast, it's gotta be something with some body, Guinness or such. (or Asheville Pizza and Brewing Rook Porter, but only lucky people like me can get that :-p)

TeeAhr1
January 10th, 2006, 08:46 PM
Naw...if you're gonna drink beer for breakfast, it's gotta be something with some body, Guinness or such. (or Asheville Pizza and Brewing Rook Porter, but only lucky people like me can get that :-p)
See, I don't know that I agree. I go with lighter fare for breakfast, myself; I'm big on Rolling Rock.