PDA

View Full Version : Conspiratorial marketing?

pastalavista
May 7th, 2009, 02:43 AM
I just received a flyer in the mail today from Dell. In it, they advertise the Dell Mini 10 netbook along with their other lines. But the Mini 10 is the only one advertised that's loaded with Ubuntu. Here's the fishy part. A mini 10 with Ubuntu 8.04 and a 160 gig HD is priced at $369 while a Mini with Windows XP Home and a 120 gig drive is $299. All other specs were exactly the same. I know the difference in price between a 120 and 160 gig drive is not that great. I was rather surprised and dumbfounded. What is going on here? Microsoft continues to establish unfair marketing alliances with every major OEM and there's nothing anyone can do about it? With all of Microsoft's billions how can any other OS ever hope to compete?

Sorry, I just had to rant a little.. I'll be OK

[-(

eilu
May 7th, 2009, 02:47 AM
I read somewhere that MS only charges $15 for XP on a netbook (OEM). That's just their strategy- crowd everyone out of the market.

hansdown
May 7th, 2009, 02:49 AM
You're right about that pastalavista.

There was a thread yesterday about the community standing together to get a fair

shake when purchasing a new computer.

monsterstack
May 7th, 2009, 02:58 AM
If it's running XP, then it's likely that Dell are recouping the losses by allowing crapware vendors to fill the default install with trial-applications. It also doesn't help that Microsoft is almost giving XP away for free, either.

That said, Micrsoft have been guilty of the sort of crime you're talking about in the past:

Source: [usdoj.gov (http://www.usdoj.gov/atr/cases/f2600/2613toc_htm.htm)]
2. Microsoft used its monopoly power to force OEMs into taking actions to hinder products or industry developments that threatened its operating system monopoly

1. Microsoft used its monopoly power, both through threats and bribes to induce OEMs to help entrench its operating system monopoly

(1) Microsoft used its monopoly power to secure Compaq's assistance in its exclusionary strategy

(2) Microsoft used MDA discounts to induce other OEMs to take exclusionary actions

1. Microsoft offered discounts for making Internet Explorer the default browser

2. Microsoft offered discounts for preserving the Microsoft-dictated Windows interface

3. Microsoft offered discounts to OEMs that designed PCs in accordance with the Microsoft Hardware Design Guide ("HDG") and subject to validation testing at Microsoft's Windows Hardware Quality Labs ("WHQL")

2. Microsoft used its monopoly power to punish OEMs who refused to facilitate its exclusion of rivals

(1) Microsoft threatened "MDA repercussions" if IBM continued to bundle Netscape

(2) Microsoft threatened to harm Gateway if it supported or bundled Netscape

(3) Microsoft repeatedly penalized IBM for competing against Microsoft

1. Microsoft withheld a Windows 95 license from IBM until 15 minutes before the product's launch because of IBM's preloading of competing products

2. Microsoft conditioned access to critical marketing support, and other terms and conditions for Windows provided to other OEMs, on IBM's not preloading competing products with the PCs it shipped

3. Microsoft sought to condition substantial MDA price reductions on IBM's ceasing to support competing products

3. Microsoft's anticompetitive intent is evidenced by the clear contrast in its treatment of IBM and Compaq

Mr. Picklesworth
May 7th, 2009, 03:01 AM
Pff, that has nothing on the fact that Every Page of that flyer probably had "Dell recommends Windows Vista Business" or "Dell recommends Windows Vista Home Premium," just in case you forgot from the last page... or haven't noticed that everyone seems to recommend Windows Vista in the exact same way.
I love how they do that while promoting netbooks with XP, too. Way to sell your product, Dell; "we really think you should spend your hard-earned money on this product. Oh, but we don't recommend the expensive software we loaded on."

Unfortunately, the flyer I got where I am made absolutely no mention of Ubuntu configurations (even though it was supposedly their whole line-up). Must be a strange thing with demographics.