PDA

View Full Version : Best desktop OS poll at TechReport.com. Time to vote?!

_Shaman_
May 7th, 2009, 01:44 AM
Follow the link below if you wish to cast your vote. Linux is currently at 9%.

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/16872

(Admins/Mods, move this topic to a more relevant subforum if necessary.)

PrettyKitty
May 7th, 2009, 01:54 AM
Those fools! *talking about the ones who voted for windows* lol was at 11% after I voted for linux:popcorn:

aktiwers
May 7th, 2009, 01:58 AM
People love Windows 7..
Only been on the beta for a few hours .. and did not like it so fare

_Shaman_
May 7th, 2009, 02:42 AM
Up to 13% now for Linux. Keep the votes flowing guys!

monsterstack
May 7th, 2009, 03:03 AM
I say, sir, are you suggesting we Linux users perform a sort of raid to sabotage the results of a poll? :rolleyes:

MaxIBoy
May 7th, 2009, 03:09 AM
I say, sir, are you suggesting we Linux users perform a sort of raid to sabotage the results of a poll? :rolleyes:No. He is simply alerting people to this poll, they may vote as they wish. Every vote is valid, as long as no one votes twice. I see nothing wrong with this.

-grubby
May 7th, 2009, 03:13 AM
I voted Windows 7.

Mr. Picklesworth
May 7th, 2009, 03:13 AM
Haiku should be on there :)

(Although I guess BeOS is close enough)

Icehuck
May 7th, 2009, 03:16 AM
What no BSDs?

.Maleficus.
May 7th, 2009, 03:17 AM
What no BSDs?
And yet they include BeOS...

_Shaman_
May 7th, 2009, 03:23 AM
I think the folks at TechReport included Linux, MacOS, and BeOS as a sort of a inside joke. 15% for Linux so far.

Bungo Pony
May 7th, 2009, 03:28 AM
Screw Linux, I voted for the defunct BeOS! :D

craigeo
May 7th, 2009, 05:01 AM
16%

lovinglinux
May 7th, 2009, 06:59 AM
Nevermind.

Giant Speck
May 7th, 2009, 07:04 AM
It wouldn't let me vote for muliple OSes, so I voted "Other."

hanzomon4
May 7th, 2009, 07:28 AM
OSX still has the juice for me... it's just totally reliable even more so then Ubuntu on my Dell, however Ubuntu on my Mac is getting pretty close. It's just not as tight with the little things. Like I can't set the screen to stay on no matter what I set it to in power settings. Also how adjusting the volume kills my fullscreen web videos or how the notifications causes my browser and compiz to crash when i have a fullscreen web video. So close but not there yet...

Tipped OuT
May 7th, 2009, 08:02 AM
Linux is in second place! That's not bad! Windows 7 was expected to win any ways, due to all the hype and craze over it.

myusername
May 7th, 2009, 08:12 AM
windows 7 is great. but it's still windows. i dont like having to have an antivirus, firewall etc. just to us an OS. but its still miles better than XP or Vista ever was

eternalnewbee
May 7th, 2009, 10:16 AM
I've voted Linux.
At 19% now.

TheSlipstream
May 7th, 2009, 12:26 PM
No. He is simply alerting people to this poll, they may vote as they wish. Every vote is valid, as long as no one votes twice. I see nothing wrong with this.
You take humourless to a whole new level. Note the smiley in his post. :/

Calmatory
May 7th, 2009, 12:38 PM
No. He is simply alerting people to this poll, they may vote as they wish. Every vote is valid, as long as no one votes twice. I see nothing wrong with this.

The point clearly is to skew the results.

Linux is in second place! That's not bad! Windows 7 was expected to win any ways, due to all the hype and craze over it.

Because thus far the releases have been rock solid and huge improvements in every aspect. Everything works out of the box already. But people go on, cry how evil Microsoft really is.

Giant Speck
May 7th, 2009, 12:42 PM

Oh, God. Are we becoming 4chan?

Calmatory
May 7th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Oh, God. Are we becoming 4chan?

Unfortunately the "spirit" seems to live on here as well.

_Shaman_
May 8th, 2009, 02:24 AM

Darn! We have been outed! The SSLPA (Super Sekret Linux Propaganda Agency) will not like this. Please remain at your current position. A SSLPA extermination-kill squad is enroute.

Just kidding! SSLPA does not operate extermination-kill squads. :biggrin:

Seriously though, people thinking this is some sort of a conspiracy should get a grip. It is just a poll on what is generally considered a Windows-centric site/community. Participation of Ubuntu forumites is completely voluntary and would only even things out to being with.

doorknob60
May 8th, 2009, 02:45 AM
20% now :D

Kareeser
May 8th, 2009, 03:23 AM
Aye, registered my vote as well.

Windows worked great once you got it all set-up, but Ubuntu makes it a lot easier to do things, and when things don't work, it's exciting to find out how to fix it, and learn more :)

hanzomon4
May 8th, 2009, 04:08 AM
Darn! We have been outed! The SSLPA (Super Sekret Linux Propaganda Agency) will not like this. Please remain at your current position. A SSLPA extermination-kill squad is enroute.

Just kidding! SSLPA does not operate extermination-kill squads. :biggrin:

Seriously though, people thinking this is some sort of a conspiracy should get a grip. It is just a poll on what is generally considered a Windows-centric site/community. Participation of Ubuntu forumites is completely voluntary and would only even things out to being with.

Damn I voted OSX! I had no idea this was a SSLPA op...

_Shaman_
May 8th, 2009, 06:24 PM
At 21% now. Linux has almost the same amount of votes as Windows XP, Windows Vista, and MacOS put together.

_Shaman_
May 10th, 2009, 06:29 AM
Over 3500 votes so far, Linux is at 20% right now. It peaked at 21% but stabilized at 20%. Great job everyone.

JetskiDude911
May 10th, 2009, 06:58 AM
I find it kind of odd that an operating system that hasn't been released yet it winning. Weird. I don't really think Windows 7 should be on the list. Maybe once the final version has come out, but voting for an OS that is still in testing is stupid imo.

I voted for OS X btw.

monsterstack
May 10th, 2009, 07:05 AM
The whole premise of the poll was flawed. What will be the best operating system after Windows 7 is released? Talk about a leading question! And of course, that's really rather the point. The marketing machine is greased and operational. Every single time someone starts talking about Windows 7 it helps create buzz. Even this very post goes towards doing just that. How's it feel to be promoting the new Windows operating system, ladies and gentlemen?

Delever
May 10th, 2009, 01:30 PM
The whole premise of the poll was flawed. What will be the best operating system after Windows 7 is released? Talk about a leading question! And of course, that's really rather the point. The marketing machine is greased and operational. Every single time someone starts talking about Windows 7 it helps create buzz. Even this very post goes towards doing just that. How's it feel to be promoting the new Windows operating system, ladies and gentlemen?

It seems very natural to me - Windows 7 has positive buzz because those who tried it said that it works well. Vista had negative buzz because those who tried it said it is crap. People don't have time to check every little detail, they rely on others they trust. So if I am a geek, and my decisions are somewhat trusted by people I know, my word will be like fact among those people. Extend that to whole big Internet, and you have pre-release hype.

Sewje
May 10th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Something interesting regaarding W7 working OOTB.

Nether Vista or Windows 7 got my Audio working on my 3GHz P4, an AC'97, which clearly works in XP and Linux so W7 is a thumbs down for me.

_Shaman_
May 10th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Nether Vista or Windows 7 got my Audio working on my 3GHz P4, an AC'97, which clearly works in XP and Linux so W7 is a thumbs down for me

I have seen lot of this, especially when it comes to Win7 RC. Many people are reporting that they had audio working under Win7 Beta, but now with the RC their audio is gone.

To Microsoft: Classy!

The whole premise of the poll was flawed. What will be the best operating system after Windows 7 is released? Talk about a leading question!

Indeed. The author of the poll didn't hide his bias or his obvious preferences, both of which can be seen in the several paragraphs leading into the poll. However, it did get him thinking. Soon after the pool he wrote a semi-derisive article about OpenOffice. TechReport never covers open source software, or much software at all for that matter, other than Windows OS related stuff. So you can see what was on his mind. (talking about Cyril Kowaliski, the author of the poll and many articles that are published on TR.)

I can guarantee you one thing: Cyril never expected to see Linux go past 2 to 3 percent.

How's it feel to be promoting the new Windows operating system, ladies and gentlemen?

Like I wrote in a previous post, TR is a very Windows-centeric site so most of the visitors there are already running one version of Windows or other and I doubt many Ubuntu forumites have voted for Windows or intend to drop Ubuntu in favor of Windows 7.

Anyways, this was just some creative Linux activism at work with a healthy dose of grey propaganda. It is obvious that Microsoft is hyping Windows 7 and that many "tech journalists" are playing along. Creation of euphoria relating to a product is a ancient marketing tactic where the ultimate intent is to create a specific emotional state which results in a bandwagon effect.

For example: once that poll began and before a link to it was placed here, Windows 7 was near 70% and growing. People were even ignoring other Windows versions. How many voters do you think voted for Windows 7 just because they saw that it held a large majority? People ultimately want to belong, to fit in with a large group. It is the tribal nature of man. Combined with the euphoria created by Microsoft's marketing and the resulting bandwagon effect the poll results would have been probably around 85% to 90% or more for Windows 7 alone right about now.

Yes, my intent was to influence that poll and it worked. You thought I was kidding about SSLPA?

We are hiring. There are spots open in our extermination-kill squad units. :wink:

markbuntu
May 12th, 2009, 03:26 AM
linux is number 2 now at 21%